Menu

CLEP

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

But they are self- reported in the Common App, and the admissions folks see them. And we can, for example, take them into account for merit scholarships. 

Eta: now, of course, they won't know if the student is truthful until they get the official score report. But it's unlikely a student will risk lying 

But you don't have to report them. And so many schools moved to test optional for their merit aid this year. The schools that aren't are mostly using SAT/ACT - not AP scores.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:37 PM, daijobu said:

There are still other exams that haven't been mentioned here and those are the subject exams associated with various contests, like FeMA, AMC, and the other olympiads (biology and chemistry), National Latin Exam, National Mythology Exam, and the other items on that College Confidential list from an earlier thread.  Doing reasonably well on any of those exams (not necessarily first place, but earning a respectable score) maybe a way to show pointiness and demonstrate talent, work ethic and interest in a specific field.  

Do you have a link to the previous thread discussing these? I'm familiar with the NLE, and the Mythology exam, but none of the others you mention. Thank you. 

On 4/23/2021 at 4:28 PM, Mom21 said:

Does anyone here include the CLEP exams (with their scores) on a transcript? Or perhaps within course descriptions? Or both?

My transcript has a section for standardized test scores. If we had done CLEP, they would have been listed there. (We only did ACT, SAT, and SAT subject tests)

• Like 2

CLEP at home option

https://clep.collegeboard.org/at-home-clep-exams/take-clep-exam-at-home

”At-Home CLEP Exams with Remote Proctoring

Students now have the option to take CLEP exams at home with remote proctoring. 
Remote proctoring allows students to take an exam online while a human proctor monitors them via video. If you’ve encountered issues with finding a CLEP test center and/or scheduling your exam, remote proctoring may be a good option.

At-home exams will be administered by Proctortrack, CLEP’s remote proctoring partner that specializes in verifying the identity of online test-takers while detecting and deterring academic misconduct. 

To be eligible for remote proctoring, you must be:

• 13 years old or older and located in the U.S. 

OR

• DANTES-funded. * 
*Please note: DANTES-funded candidates can register now for remote-proctored exams but won’t be able to schedule their at-home exam appointment until mid-May. If you’re a DANTES-funded test taker who needs to take an exam before mid-May, we recommend scheduling your exam with a CLEP test center.

You must also have a PC computer or laptop (no Macs), an internal/external speaker and microphone, a camera, and, if taking notes during the exam, a white board with a dry erase marker or one transparent sheet protector with a dry erase marker. You must also test alone in a private room.”

@AbcdeDooDah might be useful for you if you want to use CLEP credits for CSU 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2021 at 3:10 PM, mlktwins said:

I am relieved!  I found a place close to us that offers the CLEP exams Mon - Saturdays between 10 am and 3 pm.  They said Fridays and Saturdays are teh business and Tuesdays are the least busiest.  Well...our Tuesdays are our most free day of the week :-).  Finally something is going right!!!

Did you see the announcement that CLEP is now offering proctored tests at home? 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 6:10 PM, regentrude said:

My transcript has a section for standardized test scores. If we had done CLEP, they would have been listed there. (We only did ACT, SAT, and SAT subject tests)

Do you think that you... would have listed the CLEP Exams with passing scaled scores (i.e., 50-80), regardless of the where the scaled-score ranks (e.g., CLEP B-level Score) in comparison to their high school grades, especially since these are college-level exams?

https://clep.collegeboard.org/develop-your-clep-program/create-a-clep-policy/ace-credit-recommendations/b-level-score-recommendations

Would anyone else like to comment on this as well?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

Do you think that you... would have listed the CLEP Exams with passing scaled scores (i.e., 50-80), regardless of the where the scaled-score ranks (e.g., CLEP B-level Score) in comparison to their high school grades, especially since these are college-level exams?

https://clep.collegeboard.org/develop-your-clep-program/create-a-clep-policy/ace-credit-recommendations/b-level-score-recommendations

I am not listing CLEP scores on my son's transcript. If we use the scores it will be for college credit and no other purpose.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mom21 said:

Not sure I understand the question correctly.
The grade I assign for a highschool class on the transcript has nothing to do with the score the student receives on a standardized exam - unless I choose this to be the grade generating assignment.
Since the CLEP tests are not widely known and nobody is familiar with the meaning of those scores, I would probably have listed on the transcript "CLEP tests with credit granting score" and list the subjects.
Any college admin knows what an 800 on an SAT2, or a 34 on an ACT, or a 4 on an AP test is. But the points on the CLEP will have no meaning, so I would have left them off.

Edited by regentrude

1 hour ago, Mom21 said:

Simply put, if the student earns an "A" in (let's say) Precalculus in high school, then should the student also earn what would be ranked as a scaled "A-Level" score on the CLEP Exam instead of a "B-Level" score or lower?

In order for colleges to accept CLEP transfer credits, someone there has to understand the scaled scoring, so I wouldn't think it to be meaningless, just less known. Also, if an earned passing score is sufficient for credit, then why not put all on the transcript just as everything else?

I checked my nearby state university's guidelines on CLEP credits and community college credits. A score higher than 50 would get the student the same credit as getting a C or above in the equivalent community college course.

ETA:

There is only a "C-level" and "B-level" score, but no "A-level" score

"The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends a credit-granting score of 50 for each CLEP exam. This is a scaled score, equivalent to earning a C in the relevant course. The corresponding raw score (number of questions answered correctly) is determined after a panel of college faculty who teach the equivalent course perform a detailed and rigorous review of exam content. The panel of faculty also recommend a scaled score that is equivalent to a grade of B. Although most colleges and universities use the ACE-recommended credit-granting score and ACE does not recommend this B score, it's provided to some schools that print grade equivalents for CLEP exams on student transcripts or some highly specialized programs that require a higher passing score. The recommended B-level score for each exam is shown below."

Edited by Arcadia

2 hours ago, Mom21 said:

In order for colleges to accept CLEP transfer credits, someone there has to understand the scaled scoring

That's not necessarily true. Once the registrar's computer system has been taught " give credit for X course upon receipt of Y score for Z test", credit happens without human intervention. 

17 minutes ago, regentrude said:

That's not necessarily true. Once the registrar's computer system has been taught " give credit for X course upon receipt of Y score for Z test", credit happens without human intervention. 

I had not considered that. Interesting.

13 hours ago, Mom21 said:

Perhaps I should ask, is there any specific reason why the score should not be on the transcript, as in one that may possibly have a negative effect?

If you put scores on a transcript, it can be problematic if the student wants to then apply test optional. 

That may not matter if the scores are high. If they are near the cutoff, it may not send such a positive signal. 

I've asked a few admissions officers about how they would weigh CLEP scores as part of admissions review. What I've gotten in response suggests they are not used at all. 

I think there are some homeschoolers who put more weight on CLEP than admissions officers at selective colleges do. (Selective being schools that admit fewer than 50% of applicants.)

It's possible this will change going forward if the SAT & ACT decline but schools start want score data on homeschool students. 

• Like 2