Menu

Anyone here have a platform bed?

Ginevra

We have a platform bed with a 10 inch Sealy PosturePedic mattress. We love it. Yes, it holds up to "exercise" lol. But I built the platform bed myself using plans from Ana White. I adjusted the plans a bit to give extra support because dh and I both are varying degrees of overweight. So I don't know a store bought platform bed would hold up as well. Basically, I added one additional "joist" to the queen size version of the bed and put several support legs attached to the joists in the middle. It maybe over built but it holds up to everything we've put it through so far lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Quill said:

Instead of box spring & mattress? Are you happy with it? Does it have the proper “give” when you are...ahem...exercising? And what brand of mattress is good for a platform bed? 

We do.  We like it.  We have a memory foam mattress......it was about $1000 at Mathis.  And the bed was about $150 from Amazon....we added a headboard later.  I love it.   And exercising is fine.  

• Thanks 1

We have a solid particular board base that sets on drawers and then the mattress sets directly on that.  I always thought of that as a platform bed but when I googled I see a style with slats like are used in my kids bunkbeds.  So I'm not sure what style you are referring too.  But we just bought a normal mattress.  Our mattress is 24 years old and we still wake up rested with no sore joints etc.  We've flip the mattress about once a year but I feel like this style holds up way better than ones that are relying on the springs to hold it up, we have no obvious sunken/worn spots in the mattress at all. 

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

Dss19 had the same bed but an 8 inch mattress and he experienced terrible back pain....he switched back to a traditional bed frame with mattress and box springs.  I think it was a combination of his bad back, being a stomach sleeper and the mattress not being as good.  

Dh has a double fusion in his spine and a double in his neck and another in his back bulging......and he likes our set up fine.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

We have a platform bed with a 10 inch Sealy PosturePedic mattress. We love it. Yes, it holds up to "exercise" lol. But I built the platform bed myself using plans from Ana White. I adjusted the plans a bit to give extra support because dh and I both are varying degrees of overweight. So I don't know a store bought platform bed would hold up as well. Basically, I added one additional "joist" to the queen size version of the bed and put several support legs attached to the joists in the middle. It maybe over built but it holds up to everything we've put it through so far lol.

I love those Ana White plans. I haven’t ruled out building one myself although I really hate building things and will probably start, ask dh for advice and then foist it onto him! 😉

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

We have a solid particular board base that sets on drawers and then the mattress sets directly on that.  I always thought of that as a platform bed but when I googled I see a style with slats like are used in my kids bunkbeds.  So I'm not sure what style you are referring too.  But we just bought a normal mattress.  Our mattress is 24 years old and we still wake up rested with no sore joints etc.  We've flip the mattress about once a year but I feel like this style holds up way better than ones that are relying on the springs to hold it up, we have no obvious sunken/worn spots in the mattress at all. 

I think it can be either way and still be a platform bed. Basically just a bed where the mattress does not rest on a box spring but rests on any kind of platform. 

Yes, I do.  It’s the kind with slats on a frame, and because our new mattress required something underneath to avoid losing the warranty, we got a Bucky board to go over it, because it’s only 5 inches deep, not thick like a box spring.  I can’t tell the difference honestly.  I’m told that when the mattress starts to break down it will feel like a hard base, but I’m good with that for the esthetics of not having a combo mattress and box spring that is too high to get into without a little hop.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Quill said:

I love those Ana White plans. I haven’t ruled out building one myself although I really hate building things and will probably start, ask dh for advice and then foist it onto him! 😉

Lol lucky for my dh, I like building things. That plan was really easy and I needed something quick and easy since the mattress was a surprise gift from grandma. I got it built in a weekend completely by myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we have a platform bed from L.L. Bean in my husband's bedroom. It was very easy to assemble. He has a Serta iComfort foam mattress and a bad back and finds the bed very comfortable. It's much more comfortable than my regular mattress and box spring, IMO. No issues in any way. 

Don't quote, please. 😉 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

My kids all have platform beds and slats from IKEA. They are the highest quality slats they have and are the type that bow upwards in the middle, to provide a bit of 'give'. They all have higher end, full thickness IKEA mattresses and toppers. They have the bed style with drawers underneath for extra storage. 

I typically prefer a traditional box an mattress. Dh has a Sleep Number bed. We don't sleep together, so no exercising in many  years here. I do not like the Sleep Number bed at all. But I am completely fine with the IKEA beds. 

DD22 and her husband liked the IKEA set enough that when they moved out, they bought the same mattress combo and a plat form bed too. I assume it passes exercise requirements, or they wouldn't have bought a second set. 

We’ve had a platform bed for many years. I think it came from Pottery Barn. It’s a king and our mattress is a 10” Serta Perfect Sleeper Cushion Firm Euro Top (had to look at the tag for that). No headboard, because I’m not a fan. Very comfy, very sturdy, no complaints. It can definitely hold a lot of weight, because we often have several dogs on it at a time. Now that I think about it, the combined weight of the dogs is more than dh and I weigh together.🙂

We have the ikea style bed slats in a wood frame that was originally designed to be a waterbed frame, I think? We currently have a Purple brand mattress on it, and it's always worked well for us.  I feel like exercise is a bit noisy due to the bed frame itself creaking, but I don't think that's the fault of the slats.

1 hour ago, kirstenhill said:

We have the ikea style bed slats in a wood frame that was originally designed to be a waterbed frame, I think? We currently have a Purple brand mattress on it, and it's always worked well for us.  I feel like exercise is a bit noisy due to the bed frame itself creaking, but I don't think that's the fault of the slats.

Our platform bed is not squeaky. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, I do.  It’s the kind with slats on a frame, and because our new mattress required something underneath to avoid losing the warranty, we got a Bucky board to go over it, because it’s only 5 inches deep, not thick like a box spring.  I can’t tell the difference honestly.  I’m told that when the mattress starts to break down it will feel like a hard base, but I’m good with that for the esthetics of not having a combo mattress and box spring that is too high to get into without a little hop.

Not to derail - sorry Quill - Carol I tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive messages. 😞

We have a nectar on a platform and miss the bounce for reasons mentioned. Next purchase is a purple on a regular box spring. The platform is lower which has also affected play time. The mattress was purchased for my chronic pain and it's been a Godsend. There is only the one downside, but I think better planning would have prevented that altogether.