Menu

One really really really good thing about 2020 -- ETA how do you pick champagne?

Drama Llama

is that I got a new sister in law.  DH's little brother got married to the most wonderful woman.  I can't imagine someone I'd rather be sisters with.  

This was supposed to be her year.  The year we helped host an amazing wedding and reception, and shared our holiday traditions, and got to know her even better.  She didn't get any of that.  Instead there was a tiny ceremony with no reception, followed by months of isolation, and then a funeral.  And through all of that, she stood by our family.    

As 2020 comes to an end, I'd like to do something special for her to acknowledge that 2020 wasn't all bad.   DH and his siblings agreed that we'd all take the money that we'd usually spend on each other and donate it to one of DS's favorite charities, and I don't want to break that rule, so I'm thinking of something for New Year's Eve?  In any other year, I might get them a gift card to a wonderful restaurant for their first NYE as a married couple, but that's out.  Maybe I cook something wonderful and drop it off?  Or send them a present, maybe a pretty frame for their wedding picture?  Any other ideas?  

Edited by BaseballandHockey
  • Like 19

This is probably just because we were doing a jigsaw puzzle to day and we love them.  Are there any good family photos from the wedding? Could you write a nice,but short, message on the photo and turn it into a jigsaw puzzle? I know there are companies that do that.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, matrips said:

This is probably just because we were doing a jigsaw puzzle to day and we love them.  Are there any good family photos from the wedding? Could you write a nice,but short, message on the photo and turn it into a jigsaw puzzle? I know there are companies that do that.  

Ooooh that's a really sweet idea.  I don't know if we could get one in time.  I kind of want something that will arrive by 12/31, but maybe I could do that for their anniversary in March?

• Like 3

Yes to the card, plus we almost always have cheese fondue and champagne for New Year's Eve.

Maybe get them everything for that--a ceramic fondue pot, and the cheese all cut up, and easy instructions?  Start a glorious tradition!  If it's snowy near you, tell them to cool the champagne in the snow and take a photo of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes to the card, plus we almost always have cheese fondue and champagne for New Year's Eve.

Maybe get them everything for that--a ceramic fondue pot, and the cheese all cut up, and easy instructions?  Start a glorious tradition!  If it's snowy near you, tell them to cool the champagne in the snow and take a photo of it.

Oooh, maybe I could just send champagne?  A nice bottle of champagne and a card?  I really like that idea. 

Fondue sounds great, but champagne sounds more within my capabilities.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm really curious about the combination of fondue and easy.  Are fondue pots easy to clean?  That would be a game changer.  

They are if you manage it right.  Basically if there is any left over cheese, scrape it out with a spoon and either save it for eggs or toss it.  Then soak overnight and it’s pretty easy to clean in the morning.  It’s glazed ceramic, so it’s very smooth.

Really, though, cheese fondue is super easy.

6 oz emmenthaler

6 oz gruyere

1 1/2 cups white wine (drinkable, light—Sauvignon blanc is good)

You dice the cheese into little chunks, toss with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a hefty sprinkle of nutmeg.

Heat up the wine in a heavy pot on the stove.  Sprinkle heavily with garlic powder and a little white pepper.  Add the cheese by handfuls once it’s hot, stirring pretty much until it’s all melted.  Then add 1-2 tablespoons of kirsch if you have some and heat up again.  Voila, it’s ready.

In parallel you have cut up sourdough bread in cubes, leaving some crust on each piece to hold it together.  And you have to get the fondue pot onto the table and the flame going, and then you pour the fondue right into it.

I’ve gotten so fast at this that I can get it on the table in half an hour or less if DH helps with the bread.

• Thanks 2

• Drama Llama changed the title to One really really really good thing about 2020 -- ETA how do you pick champagne?
4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For weddings (relatives) and New Year Eve parties, we buy the cheapest Moët & Chandon champagne available because of the quantity needed. If we want to splurge as a gift, then we get their Dom Pérignon.

Is there something in between?  Like a $50 - $70 bottle?

The reviews all say things like "open-knot" and "hints of toast" and I have no idea if these are good or bad things. 

45 minutes ago, LAS in LA said:

In case you need another suggestion: Veuve Clicquot.

2 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I second this! Very yummy! Clean, not sweet or overly flavored. Our sams club sells it. 

https://bespokeunit.com/champagne/best/under-50/
“Here’s our top recommendations for the Best Champagne Under $50:

1. Veuve Clicquot Carte Jaune (Yellow Label)
  2. Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut
  3. Canard Duchêne Authentic Brut
  4. GH Mumm Cordon Rouge
  5. Moët & Chandon Impérial Brut “