Menu

Difference in how Dh and I use our kindles

forty-two

Well, my thought is: at least your dh has a Kindle. My dh is a technophobe. He just told me this morning that, for Christmas, he wants "a regular, old watch." He is sick of charging his Fitbit watch. Ds heard him say this and was like, "What? What's the big deal about charging up the watch?!"

🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, my thought is: at least your dh has a Kindle. My dh is a technophobe. He just told me this morning that, for Christmas, he wants "a regular, old watch." He is sick of charging his Fitbit watch. Ds heard him say this and was like, "What? What's the big deal about charging up the watch?!"

🤷‍♀️

Lol.  It's not that I'm more of a tech person, and not even that dh is less of a reader, but that, unlike me, dh is not a book horder <shifty>.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, forty-two said:

Lol.  It's not that I'm more of a tech person, and not even that dh is less of a reader, but that, unlike me, dh is not a book horder <shifty>.

Of course. What if you get stuck somewhere and you only have 28 books on your kindle? You might run out!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I LOVE my Kindle and got a friend hooked on one she got a few weeks on the black Friday sale.  

I rarely rarely pay for a book.  I use Amazon $1 credits for $1 books or use the library or get free ones.

I've paid for a few kindle books at full price during the pandemic (and paid full price for Harry Potter a few years ago), but mostly I'm similar to you.  My library is full of free books and public domain books (and lots and lots of fanfiction).

20 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Of course. What if you get stuck somewhere and you only have 28 books on your kindle? You might run out!

Yes, exactly! 🤣

ETA: It's also making sure that, no matter what I'm in the mood for, I have it available ;).  Somehow, Dh gets by with just his current book, maybe with one backup if he's nearly done <weird>.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I'm sort of like your DH. I don't like clutter of any sort, so I prefer to keep only a handful of books on my Kindle at any given time. They're all in my Amazon account, so it's a simple enough matter to download one (or more) whenever I want, or get one from the library. I can use the hot spot on my phone if I'm out somewhere, so not a problem.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I LOVE my Kindle and got a friend hooked on one she got a few weeks on the black Friday sale.  

I rarely rarely pay for a book.  I use Amazon $1 credits for $1 books or use the library or get free ones.

I'd ordered so much from Amazon this fall/for Christmas, that I had $15 in credits and was able to spend it on a 4-book series bundle. Woo-hoo!

(Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series - the first 4 books were bundled for like $18!!)

• Like 1

I don't like to have a lot of books on my kindle at once. But books are always coming and going, as I use it for library books mostly. 

My husband, a computer engineer, does not like to use a kindle at all. He'll only use it if that's the only format he can get the book. (He also prefers a "regular" watch.) My kids also don't love kindles.  

There's just no telling what people will like and not like!  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm sort of like your DH. I don't like clutter of any sort, so I prefer to keep only a handful of books on my Kindle at any given time. They're all in my Amazon account, so it's a simple enough matter to download one (or more) whenever I want, or get one from the library. I can use the hot spot on my phone if I'm out somewhere, so not a problem.

I have quite a few that I put on over USB, so those aren't in my Amazon account.  And I don't have wi-fi access when I'm out and about (no smartphone).  On my old Kindle 3, though, I was really good about using collections - kept things organized and accessible. 

But I don't like how they do collections on my new kindle and the kindle app on my tablet - I mostly use the search function to find what I want.  It's like keeping your email organized - once you give up on it (lol), it doesn't really matter if you have 50 or 5000 unread emails - it all looks and functions the same <shifty>.  (My unread email count is currently 3,639, lol.)

In theory I prefer a clutter-less life, but in practice I like having lots of available reading material, so I just aim for "comfortable clutter" ;).

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, marbel said:

I don't like to have a lot of books on my kindle at once. But books are always coming and going, as I use it for library books mostly. 

My husband, a computer engineer, does not like to use a kindle at all. He'll only use it if that's the only format he can get the book. (He also prefers a "regular" watch.) My kids also don't love kindles.  

There's just no telling what people will like and not like!  

I like the reading experience of both physical books and e-readers. I do find it hard to pay real money for ebooks, though - when it comes to *owning* books, I strongly prefer physical (unless there is a really huge price difference).  (There are several beloved series where we own *both* physical and e-copies, though, which is very convenient.)  Mostly I use the kindle for reading library books and free online stuff (of which I have tons and tons - what's on my kindle is actually only a fraction of I have, scarily enough). 

Eta: My oldest says that she likes to read on the kindle, but that she likes having a lot of physical books, too.  I think we just like having lots of books, in whatever form we can get them ;).  I can say that both girls do really like the instant gratification part of library ebooks, lol.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I used to think you couldn't own too many paper-books.  Then we moved.  You can have too many.   :0)

I used to be hardcore "there's no such thing as too many books, only insufficient bookshelves," but between moving and using up all the good and semi-good bookshelf placements - and realizing it might actually be nice to be able to put things *other* than bookshelves on a wall, such as large maps - I too have realized there is indeed such a thing as too many books <sigh>.  Haven't done too much with that realization, yet, though <shifty>.

• Haha 1

I read my Kindle books on my phone app now.  I tend to misplace the Kindle, or I forget to charge it.  I charge my phone every day already, and I always take it with me.  So, if I'm waiting, I can just pull up the app and continue my Kindle book where I left off.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, forty-two said:

lol, yah, I don't think I have a ton of books on mine. I usually read stuff for free from Kindle Unlimited (well, free after the monthly fee) and you can only have 10 at a time. I finish one, return it to get another, over and over again. So I might read 5-10 books in a week, but I return each one as I finish it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, klmama said:

I read my Kindle books on my phone app now.  I tend to misplace the Kindle, or I forget to charge it.  I charge my phone every day already, and I always take it with me.  So, if I'm waiting, I can just pull up the app and continue my Kindle book where I left off.  

same. And then if my phone runs out of charge I'll read on the amazon website on my laptop, lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forty-two said:

I like the reading experience of both physical books and e-readers. I do find it hard to pay real money for ebooks, though - when it comes to *owning* books, I strongly prefer physical (unless there is a really huge price difference).  (There are several beloved series where we own *both* physical and e-copies, though, which is very convenient.)  Mostly I use the kindle for reading library books and free online stuff (of which I have tons and tons - what's on my kindle is actually only a fraction of I have, scarily enough). 

Eta: My oldest says that she likes to read on the kindle, but that she likes having a lot of physical books, too.  I think we just like having lots of books, in whatever form we can get them ;).  I can say that both girls do really like the instant gratification part of library ebooks, lol.

I also like both types of books - I am not an "ebook only" or "physical book only" person - but still have some preferences. Cookbooks and books with pictures and maps are better in person (not electronic) for me. But if ebook is the only way I can get something I want, then, fine. I read on my kindle and kindle app on my phone, but really dislike reading on the phone; it's for emergency use only lol. (waiting in the car for a kid who said they'd be out of Ulta in 10 minutes... hahahahaha) 

I do like owning books but unfortunately once a book hits this house it is hard to get it out. I try to promote book purges periodically but I can't get my husband and kids on board. We have a lot of books stored in boxes from downsizing 13 years ago; some have not been used since (we can find them if we need them; we have an inventory. And I occasionally pull boxes out to see if we can let any go). It hasn't helped that there have been a few books we've re-purchased because I got rid of them too soon, not anticipating future need/desire correctly. But we mostly use the library now except for books we expect to be keepers. Well, for Christmas I bought a bunch of used books to give people but my kids are adults so their books will go with them... someday.... 

Re the bolded - one of my biggest pleasures in life is going to the library and coming home with a big bag of books, knowing that I can love them or hate them, or ignore them altogether, with no cost or penalty other than time. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

I love my Kindle.  I pay monthly for Kindle Unlimited ($9.99) and  read 30+ books a month for that $10. Best thing we spend money on...to me. lol

How in the world do you have time to read 30+ books a month?    I feel I am doing great with 1-2 audio books and 2-4 Kindle or print books a month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippymamato3 said:

I am a seriously fast reader and I read on the kindle app any time I have a minute. Plus I don't sleep much! 

I thought I was a fast reader but working full time plus single parenting really cuts into my reading time....and I do want my 8 hours of sleep....or at my age, attempted sleep.

• Like 1

Dh and Dd both have kindles they don’t use and have offered them to me. Meanwhile I do most of my reading these days from an antiquated iPad that can’t be updated but still has room for books. I’ve discovered I can put it on airplane mode and the library can’t take my hooks back until I’m finished. 🤣

I never really used my library’s e-loans until the pandemic, but I’ve made up for lost time. Between kindle loans, Overdrive, and Hoopla I haven’t missed not buying books at all. The drawback is I can’t put hoopla on my tablet because it’s too old. Hmmm, maybe I should take one of those kindles. Do they all do apps?

59 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Dh and Dd both have kindles they don’t use and have offered them to me. Meanwhile I do most of my reading these days from an antiquated iPad that can’t be updated but still has room for books. I’ve discovered I can put it on airplane mode and the library can’t take my hooks back until I’m finished. 🤣

I never really used my library’s e-loans until the pandemic, but I’ve made up for lost time. Between kindle loans, Overdrive, and Hoopla I haven’t missed not buying books at all. The drawback is I can’t put hoopla on my tablet because it’s too old. Hmmm, maybe I should take one of those kindles. Do they all do apps?

My library uses the Libby app. I don't pretend to understand how it works, but . . I have the app on my Chromebook and my iPhone. I use those two devices to search for and check out books. And then I'm asked if I want to read in/with the Kindle app, choose that option and the book magically appears on my Kindle.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I read all my ebooks on my phone in Overdrive in epub format. 99% are library books, but I do now have a couple that were free downloads.  Apparently I can read the non-library free downloads right in Overdrive, a serendipitous discovery. 

On 12/15/2020 at 8:53 AM, hippymamato3 said:

I love my Kindle.  I pay monthly for Kindle Unlimited ($9.99) and  read 30+ books a month for that $10. Best thing we spend money on...to me. lol

I may not read that many , but some months it is close. And yes, that is a non negotiable item in our budget. ONCE I accidentally started a very long series that was not included in Kindle Unlimited. What started out as me paying $4.99 for one book turned into about $80 or more in book expenses that month, as I couldn't NOT finish the series!  Now I don't even look at books not included, lol. (other than new releases in that series)

On 12/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, Ottakee said:

How in the world do you have time to read 30+ books a month?    I feel I am doing great with 1-2 audio books and 2-4 Kindle or print books a month.

I read for 5-10 minutes here and there all day - and also stay up too late reading a few nights a week. And yeah, fast reader. I can read a book a day most days, if I can read for several hours before bed. 

• Like 1