Menu

Adult coloring books - markers or colored pencils?

Sherry in OH

5 minutes ago, katilac said:

It's strictly preference. We have four people in our house and use a mix of markers, colored pencils, and gel pens. You don't want super thin paper when using markers.

Here we use a combination of Coptic markers, prismacolor pencils and gel pens. 

• Thanks 1

It really just depends on the person, I think. You can do more shading and subtle effects with pencils, but they also take more pressure and fatigue the hand more, and sharpening Can be messy.  When I started doing adult coloring books I really preferred colored pencils (love prismacolor), but now I like using markers better. I don’t have any brand preference there; usually just use fine point crayola markers.

You can get a set of prismacolor pencils using the 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby and then use them for something else if you don't prefer them. My dd got me a set to go with coloring books and some of the pencils quietly slipped over to my Bible reading. Some of these new Bibles have really thick paper that is great with the colored pencils.

Edited by PeterPan

Are you coloring kindergarten style (put color into shape) or artist style (blending, shading, etc)? I color kindergarten style for the most part, and  prefer Prismacolor. I can do some shading with that.

For those who are into markers, and do some more intense shading, I would go with the Stabilo markers, but I would expect significant bleedthru. Go for the ultra fine point ones.

• Like 1