Menu

Hound-dog eyes - eye lift?

Murphy101

So this thing as started happening. I put on my eyeliner and if I don’t hold my upper brow up for a few seconds until it dries, then when I blink my eyeliner will transfer a second line half way between my eye crease and brow. 😒

It’s certainly something that within 5-10 years tops I’ll absolutely need surgery to correct because it will start to block my peripheral vision. (Many people on my dad’s side of the family had this issue too.)

But I do not want to wait until it gets that bad to correct it. 

Are there any btdt ladies who could share advice on best approach and experience with me?

I haven’t btdt, but that is one of the few cosmetic procedures I am not opposed to and will certainly consider in the future. My eyes are small and deep set to begin with and this is likely to be an issue eventually. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I haven’t btdt, but that is one of the few cosmetic procedures I am not opposed to and will certainly consider in the future.

Same with me.  I have terrible droopy bags under my eyes that I am very self-conscious about and would love to get an eye lift, but can't justify the expense right now.  

• Like 1

My grandmother had this done, and it's expected my mom and my aunt will, and probably me.  Our eyes are probably going to droop to where it interferes with vision.

It went well for my grandmother.  Sorry I don't know more than that!  

Her eyes drooped on the sides and that pulled down her eyes, I don't think they really had to do too much to take away a little skin and then that kept the rest from being pulled down.

That's my impression at least.  

Edited by Lecka

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

So this thing as started happening. I put on my eyeliner and if I don’t hold my upper brow up for a few seconds until it dries, then when I blink my eyeliner will transfer a second line half way between my eye crease and brow. 😒

It’s certainly something that within 5-10 years tops I’ll absolutely need surgery to correct because it will start to block my peripheral vision. (Many people on my dad’s side of the family had this issue too.)

But I do not want to wait until it gets that bad to correct it. 

Are there any btdt ladies who could share advice on best approach and experience with me?

Stop wearing eye liner.  That has been my best decision regarding this issue.  I had eyelashes put on last December which helped dramatically (it was not the big fakey looking ones)...but with Covid I can't justify the risk. So I focus on good mascara.  I use the white conditioner first and then the regular mascara.  It takes a few minutes longer but I can tell the diference.

My mom, who is 20 years older than me (she is 75) had the surgery done.  I could not believe the difference it made. 

• Like 2

Yeah but y’all I’m a ways out from Medicare.  😂😖 and I don’t want to wait until I have vision issues either.  Vain I suppose but there it is. I have high check bones and deep-set eyes with dark under eye that looks baggy. I went from pretty much never wearing makeup to daily makeup in my late 30s bc it made such a huge difference in my skin tone and look.  The eyeliner only my top eyelid, actually reduces the look of my crows feet and reduces the sunken eyes look. 

what I’d love to do? Get an eye lift and have eyeliner tattooed on.  I wear trifocals people. Do you have any idea how hard it is getting to put on eyeliner bc ya know ... the whole can’t wear glasses while I put it on is a real struggle. 😁 

56 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Yeah but y’all I’m a ways out from Medicare.  😂😖 and I don’t want to wait until I have vision issues either.  Vain I suppose but there it is. I have high check bones and deep-set eyes with dark under eye that looks baggy. I went from pretty much never wearing makeup to daily makeup in my late 30s bc it made such a huge difference in my skin tone and look.  The eyeliner only my top eyelid, actually reduces the look of my crows feet and reduces the sunken eyes look. 

what I’d love to do? Get an eye lift and have eyeliner tattooed on.  I wear trifocals people. Do you have any idea how hard it is getting to put on eyeliner bc ya know ... the whole can’t wear glasses while I put it on is a real struggle. 😁 

I am a ways from Medicare too.  I don't know how much they charge for that eye-lift procedure......but I doubt I would ever pay for it out of pocket.  

I seriously found that my eyes looked better without the eyeliner.  I do my brows now though....a new thing for me since my eyebrows went from thick to almost nothing.

19 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am a ways from Medicare too.  I don't know how much they charge for that eye-lift procedure......but I doubt I would ever pay for it out of pocket.  

I seriously found that my eyes looked better without the eyeliner.  I do my brows now though....a new thing for me since my eyebrows went from thick to almost nothing.

Ha!

So I’m digging in the drawer for a q-tip to deal with the first time I had eyeliner transfer and my husband comes in and says, “So you’ve decided to do brows like that?” With a worried he has to be supportive of a weird new look tone. 

To which I scowl and say no dammit my eyeliner transferred to my sagging eyelids, thanks very much for not noticing or commenting.

And as he wisely left with no further comment, I look in the mirror and realize.  Crap. Where did my eye brows go and how did I not notice they have practically disappeared?! He was totally justified to wonder if I was doing the weird thin pencil brow line thing. Ugh! I used to have great brows. Not too thick and well shaped naturally. But I’m really happy with my sketched on brows though it’s taken me several weeks to not feel weird with them done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Ha!

So I’m digging in the drawer for a q-tip to deal with the first time I had eyeliner transfer and my husband comes in and says, “So you’ve decided to do brows like that?” With a worried he has to be supportive of a weird new look tone. 

To which I scowl and say no dammit my eyeliner transferred to my sagging eyelids, thanks very much for not noticing or commenting.

And as he wisely left with no further comment, I look in the mirror and realize.  Crap. Where did my eye brows go and how did I not notice they have practically disappeared?! He was totally justified to wonder if I was doing the weird thin pencil brow line thing. Ugh! I used to have great brows. Not too thick and well shaped naturally. But I’m really happy with my sketched on brows though it’s taken me several weeks to not feel weird with them done.

I was the same way about my eyebrows. I am pretty happy with them now that I have learned a bit how to do them.  

My dh had this done a few years ago.  His whole family has the droopy eye problem, where their vision truly is affected.  My dh's was worse at an even earlier age because of his stroke.  The surgery was successful.  As long as the surgeon can state it's necessary to improve vision, insurance should cover it.

Our youngest dd (in her early 20's) already has a pretty significant version of this.  Her eyebrow sinks down into her upper eyelid, especially on one side.    Yay genetics!    She'll probably have the surgery much sooner than most people.

I had ptosis surgery a couple of years ago as my eyes were only maybe half-open. My eyelids would only open that much. My range of vision was impacted. 

I went to the eye surgeon, who had me do a couple of tests (look into a computer with an attached cone thing so your eye was pressed up in it so no outside light was getting in - a lot like when you have the opto-map done) - one round with my eyelid in its normal position, and the second round with my eyelid taped up like normal people have. There was a great difference. Insurance covered it.

I had to go to a hospital set up for outpatient surgery. You are sorta/partially awake during the procedure they tell you to open or close your eye so they can make sure both open relatively the same amount.  Mine went well, but in recovery, something happened, and I developed a hematoma above one eye. So one eye looked like I had ran into a brick wall while the other eye looked fine. That bruise lasted a long time. There was no real pain - a little discomfort - yes. I did do a lot of icing to try to reduce swelling. 

Surgeon did tell me he did remove a little extra eyelid material since it would make it look better. Cost after insurance was maybe $3-$4K?  Husband had a much younger co-worker get much the same thing done in the office for less than $500. She was in much less bad shape than I was. 

And I'd do it again if I needed. It's so nice to be able to see so much again! 

If you wear contacts, it was probably 2 months before I could wear contacts for the same amount of time I had worn them for before the surgery. I wear gas perms, and now I can't remove the contact from one eye without using a suction cup.