Menu

Campus visit report-Mizzou (U of MO-Columbia) (CV-19)-We may have a winner!

Dmmetler

We visited Mizzou today, both main campus and CAFNR (college of agriculture, food, and natural resources)-and DD has a new front runner. Mizzou made it on DD's list because they are known for having an excellent program in her area and are reasonably close and not too hard to get home from. 

Mizzou is a BIG, land grant tier 1 research school, NCAA Division I/SEC school in a relatively small college community. They have a medical school, vet school,and law school, plus a big undergrad campus. Having said that, the main undergrad campus is very contained and relatively easy to maneuver. The guide says you can get almost anywhere on campus within about 15 minutes walk, and I believe him. It's flat enough that biking is common. While it's a big sports school, according to the students if you want to avoid the stadium/Greek area, you can pretty easily, and a lot of people do. Tickets are not included in student fees-you have to buy the package separately.  While we couldn't do a dorm tour, they had set up a mock room layout so you could see how much space you would have, furniture, etc. DD feels it is acceptable, if not exciting. The food options are reasonably vegetarian friendly, with a priority on local sourcing from their own farms. 

Most students as re back on campus, although most classes are online, and for the most part the campus looked normal, but with masks. Everyone seemed to be abiding by the social distancing and mask requirements, but at the same time, it wasn't the completely dead feel some of the other campuses have had. Student groups are active and making it work. It made it easier to judge how it might be normally. 

They will accept many of her DE credits, which will also help her avoid a lot of the large general Ed classes.  The honors college will also help there. 

CAFNR is honestly about the best match we've found for a whole department/program focused on DD's interests, as opposed to just a single lab or two. There are student groups for herpetology, ornithology, wildlife rehab, entomology, etc that do outreach and Ed as well as hands on work. Almost everyone does research. One of the first things we saw when we walked into the CAFNR was a giant papier mache stag beetle. No program in the college is particularly large, and classes tend to be small. In many ways, it feels more like a grad school than an undergrad program. 

DD has already been given their top automatic merit award for an out of state student. She will hopefully get some competitive merit as well (it is a STAMPS school, so there is a possibility for very good competitive merit indeed) . All in all, she really likes it a lot. 

• Like 27

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

How exciting!!

Sidenote: What is a STAMPS school? I probably should know this, but I do not and google did not help. 😄

A STAMPS school, in this context, is a college that provides Stamps Scholarships. It's a merit-based scholarship - Mizzou's explanation of it is here. At Mizzou, it covers estimated up to the full cost of attendance for 4 years, plus $16,000 bonus funds for academic and leadership development. It includes honours college (which I think DD has already been accepted into, if I recall correctly) and a program for faculty-guided research. If DD got that, it would certainly count as "offering a lot of $". While I am no expert on scholarships, I get the impression from the link that DD is the sort of student the scholarship is looking for.

Yes, exactly. @8filltheheartsuggested we might want to look at schools that are part of the STAMPS program. It's a lottery scholarship in a lot of ways, but it's a lottery that seems worth playing, especially since DD's resume is pretty impressive. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Yes, exactly. @8filltheheartsuggested we might want to look at schools that are part of the STAMPS program. It's a lottery scholarship in a lot of ways, but it's a lottery that seems worth playing, especially since DD's resume is pretty impressive. 

I definitely think your dd is just the type of student that should be pursuing those opportunities!

We went back over to campus and the downtown area later that evening. Downtown is very walkable from campus. We also noticed a lot of study groups, or maybe recitation sections, where about 10 students would be in a circle, out on the lawn, with their laptops and masks, doing assignments together. It was just plain nice-and, again, both seemed reasonably COVID safe but still having that group component of college life. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Just clicked through the virtual tour. What a cute, compact yet classic campus!  Looks lovely. 

It really is. I had expected it to just be too big for DD (and the football stadium is intimidating. I don't think DD will be going out for mascot if she ends up there!) but because of the way it is laid out, it doesn't feel nearly as large as it is. And Columbia is just plain a nice size college town. Big enough to have a lot there, but not huge.