Menu

Northanger Abbey

I enjoyed it too. Such a good ending. I almost needed a tissue. I found it very entertaining not having read this particular book beforehand. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if I already knew the plot?

Can't wait until next week. Whatever will we do on Sunday evenings when we've run out of Jane Austens?

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place

DH and I have a date in 1.5 hours! I made him watch Persuasion last week and now he is hooked. I actually enjoyed it, but this week's and last week's movies are the only two I had not read of Jane Austen's books. DD and I watched Persuasion again last night and she enjoyed it also. She now wants to read all of JA's novels. I can't wait.

Yeah well, my ds, 17, and dh both watched it with me tonight as my dd, 19, was otherwise occupied with friends. Methinks perhaps they saw a preview?.....Just kidding of course. They have watched, and will continue to watch, them all. We're just a sappy family like that. Dh watches Hallmark movies with me too. Someone has to pass the kleenex box.

Lisa

Percytruffle's Place

And I kept waiting for the show to end so I could go to IMDb to look up the actress who played Isabella - turns out she was in Bleak House last year!

She was also in the Masterpiece Theatre mini-series about the woman becoming Prime Minister of Great Britian, I forget the name of the show. However, it was fun seeing her play a modern girl as well.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I thought the movie was pretty good, much better than last week's.

The two main characters seem well suited to their roles. I do think Isabella was a little overdone, but it was probably necessary to create a more visual sense of her impropriety for notoriously unsubtle moder audiences. ;)

I did change the channel for a few seconds when Isabella's chest seem to be filling the whole screen. My 17yo and 14yo ds's seemed a trifle uncomfortable. :)

I haven't read the book, so I have nothing to compare the movie to.

I recorded it (we were watching the Giants/Packers game), so I didn't get to start watching it until about 11:30. I managed to stay awake for about 30 minutes before falling asleep :( What I saw was REALLY good -- loved it. I can't wait to watch the whole thing with dh tonight -- before I slip into a coma ;)

We watched Persuasion last week too. The spit, the running, the biting -- she looked like a rabid dog. Other than that....

I'm just sayin' ;)

Yes, this one was much better than Persuasion. They seemed to manage to capture the essence of the main characters and the novel as a whole - something they did not do at all in Persuasion. I do wish they made these movies 2 hours, because they seem to rush the ending. It was not so bad with Northanger Abbey, but it was really noticeable in Persuasion.

Brigitte

PS - What is next?

I do wish they made these movies 2 hours, because they seem to rush the ending. It was not so bad with Northanger Abbey, but it was really noticeable in Persuasion.

I agree, very enjoyable but the ending was rushed. I laughed at her dream sequences - she really had quite an imagination! :p

to preview it. My teen and are are reading P&P. I think she may be hooked on Jane Austen and want to find ways to further her enjoyment.

I had completely forgotten the show was on and had to figure out which book/story I was watching because I tuned in little late. Much better than last weeks version. I'll have my teen watch another P&P version. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed it though it does differ from the book. The key plotlines are the same but many details are switched, combined or altered noticeably. I read the book a couple of weeks ago and found the story simpler than other Austen works, and this translated into a more enjoyable film adaptation because there wasn't a need to cut anything out.

I tend to prefer viewing Austen's stories more than I do reading them. The screen adaptations add excitement I sometimes find lacking in the actual writing. Last night's show was a good example of that. All the extra scenes showing Katherine's imagination really added to showing how naive and romantic she was, and for me that was the key part of the story. Perhaps it's because my own imagination is lacking while I read? ;o)

I did find John Thorpe wasn't portrayed nearly as beastly as I had thought him. Henry was great. Well chosen and his character came across true to the book. I liked Katherine, she seemed much as I expected, though I had imagined Isobella slightly different in looks and less 'obvious' in her behaviour.

I am going to have to watch it all over again now as I found myself comparing book to movie/movie to book the whole time.

Northanger Abbey is my least favorite Austen book, but I enjoyed the movie last night (aside from the cleavage :eek:). I was glad that since I couldn't remember the plot, the film was more suspenseful for me. Definitely an improvement over Persuasion... I need to watch the Ciaran Hinds version to cleanse my mind from the new one!

Even though I enjoyed N.A. I did think that it felt rushed. I hope that is not the case with Mansfield Park!

Again, why are these new adaptations so short? Would it kill them to fill two hours?

Pluses: Catherine and Henry were both very good in their roles. The supporting cast was also fine. I haven't read the book in awhile, but it didn't seem as chopped and spliced as "Persuasion" did. (And I watched the older version of "Persuasion" again this past week, and it is soo much better!)

Minuses: We didn't need to see so many "dream sequences", IMO. Too much emphasis on sexuality: men checking out Isabella and Catherine as they walked down the street, Isabella showing tons of cleavage, and even showing Isabella naked under a sheet. The ending seemed abrupt.

Wendi

Minuses: We didn't need to see so many "dream sequences", IMO. Too much emphasis on sexuality: men checking out Isabella and Catherine as they walked down the street, Isabella showing tons of cleavage, and even showing Isabella naked under a sheet. The ending seemed abrupt.

I agree!! I was so surprised when *boom* kicked out of the Abbey, home-sweet-home, happy ending, all in about 3 minutes!! And I was really annoyed by the under-the-sheets scene. Too much sexuality on television is why I don't watch much!!

What version of Pers. is the best? I really liked last week's.

Melissa

I thought the presentation last night on PBS was excellent. I did read the book during the past week and although their are some differences they were mostly minor. In the book Catherine does not ride alone with Henry to Northanger. Also the "dream" nude scene and Isabella sleeping with Captain Tilney are not in the book (why do they have to add this material)

I just wanted to comment on this thread (I should really be giving a spelling test instead). This version certainly was better than last week's adaption of Persuasion (pathetic), and immensely better than the early 80's adaption of Northanger Abbey (it was like getting a root canal - seriously!)

You might want to go to Amazon and read what UK viewers are saying about the upcoming episodes.

Denise in NE