Menu

Happy masks question

kokotg

So not to be cynical, but....has anyone actually taken a look at the lab results Happy Mask claims on their website? If no one else has it, I'll e-mail them and ask for them, but I thought someone else might have already done the legwork since they come up here a lot. DH is a high school teacher who will have students in the classroom soon, and Happy Masks are part of our keeping him safe plan...but I want to make sure the evidence that they're better than a regular old 3 layer cloth mask or a disposable surgical mask or whatever is actually legit. 

• Like 1

Why don't you just call? The lady behind it actually answers the phone.

I didn't bother, but it didn't matter. I KNOW the thin knit masks are hardly worth much, and they fog up my glasses. I figured it wasn't likely to be *worse*. 

While you have her on the phone, ask what she actually has in stock and let her steer you. That way you might get your order sooner. I personally prefer the base model to the pro. I own both, and the additional layer for me makes it warmer. I would take whatever she has in stock, but if you're very sensitive, definitely consider the base model.

• Like 1

I got a couple of happy masks; I don't feel like they are filtering as well as my KN95's though that is completely subjective. The need to hand wash is a downside for me.

They are comfortable and provide a closer seal than the surgical masks I have tried. I certainly expect them to filter better than most cloth masks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Why don't you just call? The lady behind it actually answers the phone.

I didn't bother, but it didn't matter. I KNOW the thin knit masks are hardly worth much, and they fog up my glasses. I figured it wasn't likely to be *worse*. 

While you have her on the phone, ask what she actually has in stock and let her steer you. That way you might get your order sooner. I personally prefer the base model to the pro. I own both, and the additional layer for me makes it warmer. I would take whatever she has in stock, but if you're very sensitive, definitely consider the base model.

we already have several, and he's been wearing them...I just wanted a little more data when things get more real and there are actual students. The non-happy mask mask I usually use isn't a thin knit, it's 2 cotton layers plus a poly layer in the middle, and I like that it fits all the way over my chin and has adjustable ear straps (it's the ones sock fancy makes, although I ordered mine from a local store with fancy prints on them). So I feel like those fit better/have better coverage....but is the filtering better with Happy Masks? I mean, they say it is, but I feel like I should probably trust but verify, you know? Anyway, I definitely won't CALL 😆, but I will e-mail unless someone here has the lab report. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

we already have several, and he's been wearing them...I just wanted a little more data when things get more real and there are actual students. The non-happy mask mask I usually use isn't a thin knit, it's 2 cotton layers plus a poly layer in the middle, and I like that it fits all the way over my chin and has adjustable ear straps (it's the ones sock fancy makes, although I ordered mine from a local store with fancy prints on them). So I feel like those fit better/have better coverage....but is the filtering better with Happy Masks? I mean, they say it is, but I feel like I should probably trust but verify, you know? Anyway, I definitely won't CALL 😆, but I will e-mail unless someone here has the lab report. 

Soul sister...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have one, but I'm skeptical about data.  It's a pretty thin mask.  It is comfortable.  It doesn't fit my face as well as some other masks do, because my nose is so big.  Not significantly but I don't feel very secure in it.  I did see a nurse at the hospital using a special kind of tape to improve the seal around her face, and I've wondered about that.  I still wear it into the grocery store sometimes, but it doesn't seem like the be all and end all to me.  

• Like 1

They aren’t as well sealed as fit tested N95 or KN 95, so even if the filter is as good, or better, you will get some leakage. I haven’t researched further with them, but it seems like the filter, if true, is almost certainly better than cloth. Mine fits me well and is comfortable.

3 hours ago, TCB said:

KN 95

I have a KN 95 that I picked up from someone, and it's noticeably warmer and thicker. For me, it would be unworkable, just me.

At some point I also think we have the "good enough" thing. Now I agree a teacher in high school has more exposure. However I was talking at a friend at a university (christian, no partying, no frat houses, etc.) and they literally have had *no* cases. 0. Not a mega school but not super super tiny either. And watching the big state schools near us, the majority of the cases are in the off campus housing, frat houses, people partying. 

So it *seems* like, just in general, the people who quietly go in, do their thing, wear their masks, KEEP DISTANCE, and leave, just sorta over a population, are doing ok. Doesn't guarantee the individual, but it does mean maybe even less than perfect masks can be enough. 

• Like 4

HCW here.  I wear both surgical and N95's professionally. (surgical mask for routine care, even for known covid patients, and N95 reserved only for Aerosol Generating Procedures).  I get one surgical mask per shift.

I'm skeptical - like super skeptical.  And I don't think that degree of filtration (beyond that of a standard surgical mask) really matters.  It's a marketing tactic.

I will argue that unless you have been fit tested to your particular mask, then the difference between good filtration (surgical mask, three-layer cloth mask with tight weave) and excellent filtration (N95 or better) is moot.

The fabric in these masks very well may filter 99.99 percent of whatever, but, like the "clear masks" that are impermeable to everything (including air!), it doesn't matter and won't make any practical difference.

Surgical masks and good multi-layer tightly-woven cloth masks provide excellent protection against droplets - which as a teacher is what your DH needs.

N95's provide protection against aerosols ONLY WHEN THEY FIT PROPERLY.  Which means a personal fit test that matches the individual face to the right mask.  And to get a good seal, it has to be tight.  Like, it hurts to wear is for very long tight.  I'm convinced that most HCP who get sick through an N95, get sick because of "improper use" - touching to adjust, improper doffing and donning etc.  And I can tell you it's really, really hard to wear a properly fitted N95 properly all the time, because they are so uncomfortable.  I think it would be near impossible for a teacher to wear a properly fitted N95 and teach all day  ( HCP can't get it perfect most of the time, so I wouldn't expect teachers to.)

I'm not sold on the KN95's I see with ear-loops either.  Real N95s all have respirator-style around the head straps, needed to be tight enough.  A properly fitted N95 with ear loops would feel like it was going to rip your ears off, and would probably do serious skin injury.

I cannot believe that any cloth mask with ear-loops can achieve perfect fit (which you need if your goals is to protect against aerosols)

Our hospital policy is surgical mask with eye-protection for all routine care (including care of known covid positive patients, with the addition of a faceshield), reserving N95 only for AGMP.   We've logged hundreds (perhaps thousands) of staff hours of covid patient care.  We have not had a single covid positive among our clinical staff.   surgical mask plus eye protection plus fastidious PPE practices (donning, doffing, not touching face, hand-washing) totally works.

If I were a teacher, and I were serious about PPE, I would wear a surgical mask or tightly-woven multi-layer cloth mask, and eye protection (face shield or goggles), and I would learn how to wear/use them properly.  I would not be too concerned about achieving N95 levels of filtration in whatever mask I chose, because you will never (short of a personal fit test) achieve the sort of seal you need to make it truly worthwhile.  If you already have a Happy Mask, then wear it with eye protection and you are good to go.  If you don't, then I wouldn't rush out to buy one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I have a KN 95 that I picked up from someone, and it's noticeably warmer and thicker. For me, it would be unworkable, just me.

At some point I also think we have the "good enough" thing. Now I agree a teacher in high school has more exposure. However I was talking at a friend at a university (christian, no partying, no frat houses, etc.) and they literally have had *no* cases. 0. Not a mega school but not super super tiny either. And watching the big state schools near us, the majority of the cases are in the off campus housing, frat houses, people partying. 

So it *seems* like, just in general, the people who quietly go in, do their thing, wear their masks, KEEP DISTANCE, and leave, just sorta over a population, are doing ok. Doesn't guarantee the individual, but it does mean maybe even less than perfect masks can be enough. 

Yeah, I'm totally fine with a less than perfect mask for myself and for my kids who don't have a lot of exposure and aren't particularly high risk, but I do want the best thing I can find for my husband who might be in a room with a bunch of people for 7+ hours a day soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wathe said:

If I were a teacher, and I were serious about PPE, I would wear a surgical mask or tightly-woven multi-layer cloth mask, and eye protection (face shield or goggles), and I would learn how to wear/use them properly.  I would not be too concerned about achieving N95 levels of filtration in whatever mask I chose, because you will never (short of a personal fit test) achieve the sort of seal you need to make it truly worthwhile.  If you already have a Happy Mask, then wear it with eye protection and you are good to go.  If you don't, then I wouldn't rush out to buy one. 

Thank you! Yeah, that's kind of what I was starting to think...good fit and comfortable enough to wear all day are probably the more important factors. He does already have a couple of Happy Masks, but I'm going to suggest he try surgical masks and the Sock Fancy masks that I like and see what's the most comfortable and fits best when he's in it for 8 hours at a time. He also has face shields and I bought him an air purifier for his classroom, so....best we can do, I guess. 

Okay, so for anyone who was wondering, Happy Mask got back to me super fast and sent me the lab reports which do indeed say what they say they do (I mean, as far as I can tell from my non-scientist perspective). I noticed that the brand name listed on the report, though, is Ilife PTFE. So I googled and found this site with the exact same lab reports they sent me posted on the site: https://www.ilifeptfe.com/home_english.html I gather that what's going is they source the inner filter layer from this company and design/make the outer layer themselves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

What I like about Happy Masks that I hadn't thought of prior to wearing one for 8 hours straight: the way it fits, it sits off the face almost like a face tepee? It doesn't get sweaty and gross like the cloth masks can. The teachers in my school are constantly adjusting the cloth masks because of how close they sit on the face and I don't find myself ever needing to adjust the happy mask unless I'm taking it off for a breathing break outside. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Okay, so for anyone who was wondering, Happy Mask got back to me super fast and sent me the lab reports which do indeed say what they say they do (I mean, as far as I can tell from my non-scientist perspective). I noticed that the brand name listed on the report, though, is Ilife PTFE. So I googled and found this site with the exact same lab reports they sent me posted on the site: https://www.ilifeptfe.com/home_english.html I gather that what's going is they source the inner filter layer from this company and design/make the outer layer themselves. 

My understand is that they source them from a company in Taiwan and distribute them (feel free to correct me but that's what I understand from the conversations I had).  Happy Masks are our everyday wear masks, but I use a head strap to improve the fit and keep it off my ears.  I prefer Cambridge in medical situations, as that has been my go to mask for years, but even their quality has changed since covid.

Edited by melmichigan

46 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

What I like about Happy Masks that I hadn't thought of prior to wearing one for 8 hours straight: the way it fits, it sits off the face almost like a face tepee? It doesn't get sweaty and gross like the cloth masks can. The teachers in my school are constantly adjusting the cloth masks because of how close they sit on the face and I don't find myself ever needing to adjust the happy mask unless I'm taking it off for a breathing break outside. 

Face teepee made me laugh out loud.

I have had to wear one for five hours straight, no break, and found it very comfortable because it sat off of my face.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

Thank you! Yeah, that's kind of what I was starting to think...good fit and comfortable enough to wear all day are probably the more important factors. He does already have a couple of Happy Masks, but I'm going to suggest he try surgical masks and the Sock Fancy masks that I like and see what's the most comfortable and fits best when he's in it for 8 hours at a time. He also has face shields and I bought him an air purifier for his classroom, so....best we can do, I guess. 

The other thing I notice about this mask is that there is a seam straight up the front.  The mask will almost certainly "leak" through the seam.

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I always think I look like a DUCK in mine. :biggrin:  A very cute duck, but still a duck. Then I start thinking about Darkwing Duck and "Let's get dangerous" and then I laugh at the thought of going out into coronamess looking like a duck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, melmichigan said:

My understand is that they source them from a company in Taiwan and distribute them (feel free to correct me but that's what I understand from the conversations I had).  

Yeah, I think they're manufactured in Taiwan, but what I'm saying is that I think, based on the lab stuff they sent me, that they order the inner filter layer from this other manufacturer that's been around for awhile and then insert it into the shell they've designed. The masks on the website the labs reference don't look anything like a happymask; they look pretty much like a surgical mask, and they sell them in bulk.

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

I have had to wear one for five hours straight, no break, and found it very comfortable because it sat off of my face.

DH said they look like the "peepee tepees" we received as a baby shower gift when we had DS. 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Pen said:

Oh no! I really like my base model! 

Apparently some people had straps popping, so they were pulling them. Like you, I find the pro model a lot harder to wear. It's just me and my sensory, but still. They're thinking about reoffering the base model with a trim applied to hold the straps down. I had one of mine pop, but it really is such a nothing. One dab of super glue and it was all better. I went ahead and ordered more so I don't get in a pinch.