Menu

And...Kingfisher strikes again. Here's your chance...

Susan Wise Bauer

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched Amazon, and here is what I believe she might be talking about due to title, date of publishing and publisher:

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-World-History-Childrens-Reference/dp/1405417021/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228524280&sr=8-9

This does look like a good choice! I've been reading this thread quite closely as we'll be starting back to ancients next year. I do own KHE and I'm happy to use it, but like others have stated, The paragraphs are more like snippets. I do like the layout and don't think it is too "busy" compared to the Usborne one. I really don't think this is a problem in the 5th and 6th grade years, but becomes more of a problem when outlines get more detailed in 7th and 8th grade. :)

Here is the link and the isbn# for Encyclopedia of World History by Parragon Publishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-World-History-Childrens-Reference/dp/1405417021/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228594949&sr=8-10

Product Details

• Hardcover: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Parragon Publishing (June 1, 2003)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1405417021
  • ISBN-13: 978-1405417020
  • Product Dimensions: 10.7 x 8.5 x 1 inches

HTH. If you all have any other questions, please let me know. I only wish I could find a link with a "peek" inside.

Jennifer

Here is the link and the isbn# for Encyclopedia of World History by Parragon Publishing.
It appears to be no longer available; neither Amazon nor B&N carries it.

That's a disappointment. I just went back to the link and realized that. Sorry ladies. I guess the search continues.......

Jennifer

Maybe it will come available again. I clicked on your link at one point and it WAS available. And, a few days ago I had been looking up this book on Amazon recommended by someone else and it was there. I even put it on my wish list. Now it says "unavailable" on my wish list too. :tongue_smilie:

In a nutshell:

1. LOVE SOTW for elementary and could conceivably be used for 5th, but that's the limit.

2. Usborne-I strongly feel it's only good for elementary-WAY too basic for older. Even my elementary student was looking for more than they had. The Internet linked would help with this, but you really want the bulk of it IN the book. Also it's horrible for outlining.

3. My two top choices would be the DK History: Definitive Guide or the Guerber books. The DK paragraphs are conducive to outlining; also not too busy and meaty enough. Guerber is appropriate for logic age, and also lends itself well to outlining. Both choices for the most part look like they would appeal to secular or non-secular points of views.They are also in the price range that would be appropriate for most homeschooling families, which is a really important consideration. Others that have been mentioned on here that are good, but expensive, may be out of reach for many of Susan's readers.

Maybe this setback will end up in improvements in the end. I never thought the Kingfisher was good for outlining, although I realize it covered the relevant time periods well. Can't wait to see the new TWTM!

Edited by HappyGrace

I would pick The Human Odyssey series that is produced by K12. It is a truly excellent, coherent narrative. I know it is expensive for the 3 volumes, but I have never seen anything better out there for the middle grades.

I just picked up a copy of this on Alibris for $14.38 (that's including shipping) for the first volume. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Susan,

I'm not sure if you posted your selections in another thread or not but I'd love to see.

I purcahsed the old king fisher for my 8th grader this fall.

It looks nice but I thought it was not deep enough. I ended up getting streams of civ but for some reason didn't stay with it. I also purcahsed SOTW.

DD is an advanced reader but we just liked the story format. She also stopped complaing about outlining once we used it! It may be for youger kids but it served its purpose.

I'm planning to add Human odyssey and time lines of history this semester to start the tranisition to rhetoric.

• 2 years later...
I would go with Oxfords Childrens History of the World by Neil Grant, thats what we use. Its a combniation of Usborne/Kingfisher style. My dd has been outling this even though we use TOG. I own the Kingfisher(red cover) but I never felt like it was "outline friendly" for a logic stage child. Instead I have her outline the corrosponding chapters to the Oxford text. It is secular, I just skipped the first two chapters. It's under $20 and it's great!

ETA: The Oxfords Childrens Book of Science is also really good

I like this one! Thank you for the recommendation!

How about the H.E. Marshall books? or M.B. Synge?

We have Streams but we'll be reading the Marshall and Synge books the most as a spine.

I know it'd be more expensive but what about Eyewitness Books on topics? I like DK History: The Definitive Visual Guide, I actually sold our Kingfisher (Mandela cover) b/c I wasn't thrilled with it overall.

Synge and Marshall and Guerber are all narratives. I think they are fine to read as a narrative...but do not take the place of an encyclopedia for outlining and a "just the facts" approach.

I think the Usbourne Internet linked Encyclopedia would work...or maybe DK has one . The idea is to have an encyclopedia that is chronological and not too difficult for a fifth grader or too easy for an eighth grader.