Menu

Best high powered blender?

madteaparty

I have a vitamix that must be 10 years old—I think it’s losing power. I make smoothies often and like to include some mild greens in there. If my people see specks of green, their view of the smoothie changes 😂. What blender do you recommend  that just pulverizes everything? 

Maybe you need a new blade? They sell them on Amazon but they are not cheap (nothing Vitamix brand is cheap tho LOL). 😞

My daughter likes her Ninja, but honestly after so many years of having a Vitamix, I was underwhelmed by the 1000 watt Ninja when I made margaritas in it recently. It worked flawlessly,  but took a lot longer than I am used to. Time needed was similar to my old Oster 1000 watt beehive blender, but the Ninja was much quieter. 

Edited by Tap

37 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

that's beautiful. And i like the idea of the glass container. Do you blend for a long time to get there?

I use the preset button for smoothie and that’s about 45 seconds. The preset button for frozen drinks is about 1 minute. My husband wanted glass due to my health, less risky. The blender can heat and blend warm food. For the self cleaning function, it heats up the tap water and spins the blades.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I have a Vitamix.  I use it for smoothies, but more importantly for my son's blended g-tube food, where texture is key or the pump gets clogged.  I blend things like sardines with bones, and meat, and Brussels sprouts, that I probably wouldn't blend otherwise. 

I also have great appreciation for Vitamix's generosity in making it's products available so kids like mine can get a whole food diet.  They have given significant product discounts to many families like ours, although we didn't happen to get ours that way.

Blended sardines?

Do tell.

Reminds me of the old Bass-o-matic commercial spoof with Dan Aykroyd on SNL.

Bill (who is dating himself)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I basically fed my kid by blending up the exact diet a health conscious parent would give to a teenage boy who was undergoing a growth spurt, if said teenage boy never complained.  And then I pumped it into his stomach via tube.  

My apologies if my question now appears insensitive in context. I had no idea. Sorry to make jokes.

Bill

13 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

No need to apologize!!!  It is kind of fun to imagine what one would feed a child who never complained!  Sometimes I wish I could blend up kale and sardines and squirt them in all my children. 

My poor kid has been fed a lifelong diet that includes a lot of kale and sardines by his manicial father.

He accepts them as "normal."

Bill

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

So my kids are spoiled by their great grandfather who we currently live with who is an excellent cook.  They expect their kale and sardines to be cooked in delicious and flavorful ways. It’s much less work to zap the kale in the microwave and then blend it with some sardines straight from the can and some other high nutrient ingredients.  

I'm old and not a bad cook myself. Delicious and flavorful are certainly my aim here as well.

I had my cook's hat on when I heard you were blending sardines, wondering what culinary trick I might be missing. LOL.

Having a great grandfather around is really something. 

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

On 5/30/2020 at 1:12 PM, PinkTulip said:

My sister raves about her BlendTec. 

I absolutely love my Blendtec as well. I bought a Vitamix, returned it, bought the Blendtec refurbished for about half the cost, and it has served me very well for 5–6 years so far. I did buy the little twister jar for making nut butters and “nice” cream. That was a fantastic investment.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:58 AM, Tap said:

Maybe you need a new blade? They sell them on Amazon but they are not cheap (nothing Vitamix brand is cheap tho LOL). 😞

My daughter likes her Ninja, but honestly after so many years of having a Vitamix, I was underwhelmed by the 1000 watt Ninja when I made margaritas in it recently. It worked flawlessly,  but took a lot longer than I am used to. Time needed was similar to my old Oster 1000 watt beehive blender, but the Ninja was much quieter. 

My daughter’s Ninja was awful. My Blendtec will make a margarita that is almost like fluff it’s so smooth.

10 hours ago, Spy Car said:

My poor kid has been fed a lifelong diet that includes a lot of kale and sardines by his manicial father.

He accepts them as "normal."

Bill

Okay, I am not a remotely picky eater, but sardines are just something I’ve never been able to embrace. What’s the trick?

31 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Okay, I am not a remotely picky eater, but sardines are just something I’ve never been able to embrace. What’s the trick?

Not sure. I love them brushed with a little olive oil and grilled with a squeeze of lemon if they are fresh. Very simple.

I also purchase them tinned in a tomato sauce which I use (with garlic and additional seasonings added) as the basis for a pasta sauce. Quick meal.

I love the taste of strong oily fish. I realize that's a minority position.

Bill

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, you’re not alone.  I eat them daily or near daily, usually straight out of the can but sometimes I get fancy like @Rosie_0801’s daughter 🙂 

Sardines, herring, smoked kipper, smoked salmon.... gimme all the fish!

My wife scored a big order of wild caught sockeye salmon the other other day (via instacart), which--as you know--is pretty lean and therefore needs to be cooked "just so" to avoid drying it out. I decided to take a fillet and use it to make homemade gravlax with it.

Huge hit. I think the leanness of sockeye actually worked to its advantage as gravlax. Made two additional batches since.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Not sure. I love them brushed with a little olive oil and grilled with a squeeze of lemon if they are fresh. Very simple.

I also purchase them tinned in a tomato sauce which I use (with garlic and additional seasonings added) as the basis for a pasta sauce. Quick meal.

I love the taste of strong oily fish. I realize that's a minority position.

Bill

I'm with you, Bill! And they are incredibly healthy because of their lack of contamination.

• Like 1

Our Blendtec was donated to us by the company for the purpose of blending food for our son’s g-tube. It was an incredible act of generosity that turned his health around. This was only about 6 years ago, but at that time, it was very rare for people with g-tubes to be fed blended whole food. Sugar-laden formulas were the norm, and our son was constantly sick, in and out of the hospital, often with life-threatening issues. The hospital would not let me give him homemade food because of their perceived risk of food contamination. Feeding him real food made a HUGE difference in his overall well-being and while he still faces significant challenges, he is doing much better.  Things have changed quite a bit and there are now healthy organic whole-foods formulas but I still enjoy blending for my son’s meals because it fulfills that maternal instinct of feeding your child. 

• Like 4