Menu

How does your religious congregation help its members?

Amira

I’m curious how different faiths and denominations help those in need.  I’m talking specifically about helping people who attend regularly and are active participants in the congregation rather than general community assistance.

Is financial assistance freely available to anyone who asks?  If not, who makes the decisions about how much help a person should receive, or if they could get it at all?  What is the main goal of your place of worship in giving financial assistance?  Do you give food away?  What types of things will they help with?  If your place of worship cannot or does not help, what does the person in need do?  Have any of their policies or goals changed during the pandemic? Where does the financial assistance come from?  What are their concerns when giving assistance?

The reason I’m asking is because I’ve seen a dramatic difference in what various religious communities have done to help their members during  coronavirus and I realized that I don’t really know what kinds of policies others have in place.

• Like 1

I don't know what the official policy is but I'll just share what I've personally observed happen.

The church has a benevolent fund that is used to cover small requests.  I know sometimes this is used for community members other times for church members.  If the person in need is an established member, the church will often put out a request to the church body for assistance but will also use general funds if the need warrants it.  For instance, elderly couple with a disabled daughter, the mom had cancer, the dad fell and broke his hip.  The church had families deliver meals and visit in person to assist with household chores until COVID, then the church is paying for meals on wheels for 3 months (I think that was the plan), to help out.  

I know they gifted money to a widow when her husband suddenly died and they still had 2 young children at home.

We received assistance with our mortgage payment when my husband had been out of work for 7 months (many years ago). We did not request it but an elder told us that God spoke to him in prayer one day that we needed the help (I had been praying about that specific thing but we had told no one of our need, nor even spoken to that elder in several months because our church is pretty big) and he requested the help on our behalf.

During normal times, a group of ladies gets together once a month and makes freezer meals that are then distributed to those who are in need of meal assistance.

Individuals will also use the benevolent fund and designate a beneficiary when they want to help another family out without the awkwardness of handing it to the person directly. The church office will disperse the funds and deliver a thank you card if the recipient writes one to keep the giver anonymous.

So no blanket policy, just what makes sense in the moment.  I think it's decided by the pastor and assistance pastors.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

Right now, anybody who doesn't feel comfortable going out to get food or medicine is invited to contact a pastor and someone will do it for you, but IDK how many people are receiving that assistance.

I think generally, if people are having trouble, the procedure is similar---talk privately with one of the pastors and there's a bit of emergency help available, and they're familiar with resources in the community (and the congregation actively supports some of those resources as a group, such as two food pantries).

• Like 4

I know people in our congregation who have been helped physically and financially.   Two instances where money was needed for large items (one their HVAC went out) - the other might have been rent.  But, our priest and his wife have also personally taken people to drs. appts who have no family nearby.    Father has a discretionary fund that he uses to disperse money (in the form of grocery gift cards) to either members of our faith family or people who come to our building asking for assistance.   

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Amira said:

I’m curious how different faiths and denominations help those in need.  I’m talking specifically about helping people who attend regularly and are active participants in the congregation rather than general community assistance.

Is financial assistance freely available to anyone who asks?  If not, who makes the decisions about how much help a person should receive, or if they could get it at all?  What is the main goal of your place of worship in giving financial assistance?  Do you give food away?  What types of things will they help with?  If your place of worship cannot or does not help, what does the person in need do?  Have any of their policies or goals changed during the pandemic? Where does the financial assistance come from?  What are their concerns when giving assistance?

The reason I’m asking is because I’ve seen a dramatic difference in what various religious communities have done to help their members during  coronavirus and I realized that I don’t really know what kinds of policies others have in place.

Well ours has put out an announcement over YouTube as part of service each week with the person to contact.  It’s also ok to talk to someone you are more comfortable with and they can approach.  No one has taken it up yet (we are a small group and pretty independent minded I guess).  There’s only one couple I know who were potentially in significant need and I know that they were contacted and reminded about the availability of funds but they didn’t want it and things are better now.  In the past where some members had decreased income due to injury I know they were presented with vouchers for groceries etc because there’s no way they would have asked for help.  All that said health insurance being a non issue takes off some small amount of the pressure.  

one thing that usually happens being somewhat rural is lots of Excess produce turns up from time to time for people to take home as needed.  Unfortunately that’s one thing that doesn’t work so well with virtual church.

• Like 1

I am a member of a large, conservative, Presbyterian church in the southern US.

Our deacons are tasked with "practical", physical assistance to members. Everything from yardwork or home maintenance to visitation to meals to cash assistance comes under their ministry. They particularly care for widows and others who are alone or vulnerable. 

The diaconate has a written mercy policy so that they are consistent year to year, regardless of who fills certain roles. Two deacons are on call each month to handle whatever requests or needs come up. They have an annual budget, but can usually get extra funding if necessary. Any assistance over $500 goes to the whole group to decide. They pay bills or have things done, but do not give out cash. Meals usually end up being a combo of  actual meals from a sign-up list and grocery cards, much more rarely doing the shopping and delivering groceries. Mortgage/rent, utilities, car repair, medical bills, housekeeping, home maintenance or repairs, transportation (like rides to chemo treatments or dialysis) and  travel (like plane ticket to get to a parent's funeral or to get to a seriously ill young adult child). We sometimes help with the costs for counseling or rehab or therapies. The deacons have resources for referrals - counselors, car mechanics, yard service etc. and are very familiar with what other services are available in our area, governmental or private. Food stamps, WIC, food pantries, medical clinics, legal sevices etc. Often when needs are known in our church, people help without going through the official deacons budget and there is less to be done by the church. We have an affluent congregation and people have resources to help. Networking to help with jobs, medical and legal help, and meals often just get done by our church family. The goal is just to love and be supportive, to bear one another's burdens, to be a family, the body of Christ, The deacons fund can meet urgent needs and they can help strategize on how to meet long term needs. Their budget comes from general congregational giving, just like the pastor's salary, the electric payment and the Sunday school books. Unless we are having a capital campaign or have a designated offering (both rare), no directed giving is accepted. Our elders and deacons make a budget each fiscal yr. The whole budget is 3.5 million this yr. Idk how much the mercy funds are. Large church. Church staff are generally included as members under this ministry, even if they worship elsewhere. This would include office suuuport staff, facilities and childcare staff and  teachers at our school.

There is is somewhat different protocol for mercy giving to non-members, though it too is governed by the diaconate's mercy policy document. Some concern to prevent scammers and to get to know the person before giving out funds. Again, no cash. 

A third category is money we give to support other local ministries that could help with these sorts of needs. We support medical clinics, ministries for refugees and immigrants, rescue mission/homeless shelters, ministries to former prison inmates, crisis pregnancy shelters and homes for unwed mothers and abused women, and many others with dollars and volunteers. Given our demographics, our members do not often use these services. Not what you were asking about, but tangentially related.

We are expecting increasing needs, both material and spiritual, as the effects of CV-19 and of the shutdown continue to ripple through our communities. The church is already rerouting some funds. We havea number of people out of work, for sure. Our giving has been steady so far, but this is a wildly unpredictable scenario. 

• Like 3

We have personally been helped financially by our church family several times, but mostly unofficially, just friends or church members meeting a need. Money for medical bills, money for kids' braces, meals and groceries, yard work, childcare, and home repair. Our church has officially helped with some counseling and extending my paycheck and medical benefits several months when our first child was due and my dh was out of a job. 

Our homeschooling friends, lovely and intelligent women of various faiths, have also been of substantive help in times of crisis! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Our (progressive Jewish) congregation has always funds available for congregants facing sudden emergency expenses like medical bills, and also to cover mortgage or rent costs in the event of job loss or divorce. Typically the congregant approaches the rabbi, and then there's a 3-person committee that has oversight on the decision.  I don't know if everyone who asks, gets -- our capacity is limited and needs are rising.  We have 2 or 3 very generous  anonymous donors who basically underwrite this fund.

We do also participate as a congregation in food banks, feeding centers and homeless shelters.... but not as a standalone; we do those things as part of wider community-wide programs.   In our area, there are several very active interfaith... not sure what noun to choose here... affiliations (you and I have corresponded about the one in my town involved in refugee work, which is a standing committee with defined representatives from participating congregations; there is also a larger, multi-town one to our north which is very active -- actually running two overflow shelters in coordination with city agencies, and supporting a daily breakfast & dinner kitchen, and supporting four food banks... but is not actually organized into any legal or corporate entity). 

There are two women in our congregation who serve as the Social Action committee, basically the focal point for our synagogue's responsibilities there (ie there are defined days when we organize volunteers to sleep over in the shelters, defined days where we work in the kitchen, they organize two big food drives a year and ferry up standing drives for diapers and sanitary napkins; we have annual financial commitments for which they chase down donors. 

We also have an ad hoc Caring Committee who organizes meal deliveries for one-off circumstances (new baby, acute illness) but do not try to coordinate ongoing maintenance food (the rabbi would refer families in need to the local pantries -- there are small ones operating ~2x/week in all neighboring towns and larger ones, open 6-7x/week, in the larger urban centers).

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I'm actually puzzling over your questions about "goals" of emergency assistance.  I'm pretty involved in our congregation, and I've frankly never considered the question, nor has it ever been raised in any BoD or other leadershhip session I've ever attended.  Now the gears are turning.

The pandemic has, certainly, changed the degree of NEED for things like housing payment support and, downstream, medical bills for the so-called "mild" cases will be rolling in. And it's changed the tactics and operations of various efforts -- the steering committee meetings have moved to ZOOM; the kitchen has cut back to 2 people in the kitchen and the meals are now packaged as take-out and delivered on tables set up outdoors; a lot of ordinary people like me and my husband who once volunteered for overnight shelter stays are no longer doing that; the burden has fallen much harder on a handful of angels walking the earth. 

But "goals," I don't know. Will think on that.

• Like 2

In the churches I have been a member of there has been an emergency fund that the minister can use to help members and nonmenbers at the minister's discretion.  This might be for something like a mother needs money for an antibiotic for a child's ear infection, a young person needs bus money to get back to see an ill parent, a family needs help with this month's utility bills.  The minister would try to determine if this was an emergency situation or if it was a part of a bigger problem that needed a more long-term strategy.  The minister is in touch with a number of community agencies from food banks, dental clinics, mental health services, etc.  The minister will also work with resources in the church community.  If someone has lost a job, is there a small business owner in the congregation looking to hire?  If a young woman comes in for assistance because she is pregnant and her parents have kicked her out of the house, is there a family in the congregation who will allow her to stay in their guest cottage?  

If members of the congregation, or the community, have a longer term need, such as a parent with serious illness, the church members will volunteer to take meals on a regular basis, do yard work, drive to doctors appointments, build a wheel chair ramp, etc.  If an expensive medical procedure is needed, the church members may organize a fundraiser.  Often church members will offer to help in ways that are not officially part of the church--perhaps offer a child a free space in a summer camp.  

If there is a need that is sweeping the broader community all at the same time (flooding, tornado, hurricane, massive layoff from a major local employer) then the church will step up with more formalized, broader program to assist those in need.  

As far as specific help form church members, that has more often been things like scholarship funds set aside for educational opportunities.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

I'm actually puzzling over your questions about "goals" of emergency assistance.  I'm pretty involved in our congregation, and I've frankly never considered the question, nor has it ever been raised in any BoD or other leadershhip session I've ever attended.  Now the gears are turning.

The pandemic has, certainly, changed the degree of NEED for things like housing payment support and, downstream, medical bills for the so-called "mild" cases will be rolling in. And it's changed the tactics and operations of various efforts -- the steering committee meetings have moved to ZOOM; the kitchen has cut back to 2 people in the kitchen and the meals are now packaged as take-out and delivered on tables set up outdoors; a lot of ordinary people like me and my husband who once volunteered for overnight shelter stays are no longer doing that; the burden has fallen much harder on a handful of angels walking the earth. 

But "goals," I don't know. Will think on that.

Regarding goals, I’ve seen some faith groups whose goal is simply to alleviate need and help when asked.  Others place a very strong emphasis on self reliance, to the point that they are hesitant to help because they don’t want to create dependency.  There are lots of other examples.  Does that make sense?

• Like 2

(Is financial assistance freely available to anyone who asks?) No, there's a process. (If not, who makes the decisions about how much help a person should receive, or if they could get it at all?) We have a benevolence committee who receives any requests, confidentially assesses needs, and makes decisions within a small yearly budget. They might also, rarely, initiate a 'love offering' or other form of fundraising if they thought those solutions made the most sense. (What is the main goal of your place of worship in giving financial assistance?) Largely to help people out of a tight spot, especially if it's 'not their fault' -- though sometimes in other cases too -- with a view towards them not needing help on an ongoing basis, if possible. 

(Do you give food away?) Yes, we have a small food bank, but it isn't very active. We are more likely to give away grocery gift certificates or to help the person access the normal public food bank. In a rare case, if food was an immediate and sensible solution, they would likely arrange for meals and/or groceries just for that case. (What types of things will they help with?) Money for food, bills, or possibly for some other expense that was considered critical. 

(If your place of worship cannot or does not help, what does the person in need do?) Beyond the small amounts of direct help, the church or various members might help to connect the person in need with various relevant social services. They might assist in networking to get that person a job, or in advocacy or advice to help get them out of a tough spot. Individuals might offer resources or services relevant to their own lives. For example a person might offer used clothes if they are likely to fit, a hair dresser might offer a hair cut, a lawyer might offer to certify a letter, etc.

(Have any of their policies or goals changed during the pandemic?) Not that I know of. The process is confidential, so we wouldn't really be informed. 

(Where does the financial assistance come from?) It's a line item on the church budget, under the discretion of an elected committee.

(What are their concerns when giving assistance?) A primary concern is that all cash should actually get to where it is intended, to meet the need as described. If it's a bill that needs to be paid, it is preferred to pay directly. If food, a certificate is given, not cash, etc. There is also a concern not to create dependence, and not to reward foolishness, and not to exceed the budget for the year before the end of the year.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know, as it is handled privately and confidentially. I mean, i am sure I could find out who makes the decisions and how, but I'd never know of any actual instances. I do know that we have paid for food/lodging and a plane ticket for a runaway who was in our area to get back home after her mother called local churches, desperate. We help support a food bank, and a "soup kitchen", and resources are always mentioned for help with mental health, etc. 

• Like 1

I happen to know this as former bookkeeper and then treasurer. Church members or regular attendees may contact a pastor, elder or deacon about needs. The Diaconate takes care of this from their fund, and the fund is used to pay for specific requests, such as rent or utility payments, health care costs, etc. These are paid directly to the vendor on the members behalf when possible. The church office also has a stockpile of $25 grocery store gift cards. There is is a second small fund, closely guarded by pastors for privacy, to help needy members pay for outside counseling. These are the official monetary helps through the church. 
Additionally, like most churches, there are members that arrange meal trains for families with new babies, illness in family, etc. 

• Like 1

The church has a food pantry and thrift store. The thrift store is for profit to  help fund the food pantry but is also available for those in need to shop at. There is also other assistance given for help on an as needed basis. I don't know the details of this, I've seen a number listed to call for help but I've not called it or talked to anyone that mans it. I know there is listed in the bulletin the number helped through various services. I don't know how it has changed in the pandemic b/c I haven't kept up with it.

Our church has several things. I don't know if it has changed due to the pandemic as I have stepped away from church over the last year. My DH and 2 of my 3 children still attend (virtually now though). I know nothing about the goals of the assistance. 

• They buy old cars and fix them and give them to single moms/recovering addicts/etc in the congregation. They also can serve as mechanics for needed but too expensive car repairs.
  • 2 licensed therapists on payroll who serve as a stopgap, emergency measure for mental health as you look for a long-time therapist or are on a waiting list. They have a list of local therapists that they refer to as well - it is how we found one of my daughter's therapists. I used the in-church therapist a few times during the height of DD's mental health crisis.
  • A money fund to help pay for immediate needs - we got the application (and ultimately decided not to apply due to my current spiritual crisis) early last year due to some super-high medical expenses. It is for various needs: home repairs, car repairs, medical bills, food, etc. The application goes to the "Care Committee" but I'm not sure other than the 2 therapists who is on that committee. 
  • The high school and college kids donate time to help elderly members keep up their properties. I don't know if this has been kept up during the pandemic - maybe they are shopping for the elderly now?
  • A group for recovering addicts, a group for the newly divorced, and a group for the widowed. Don't know if those are meeting virtually at the moment. 
  • A group provides immediate relief of meals in the case of a death, new baby, or sudden illness. 
  • The church runs a thrift store, but I believe the bulk (all?) of that money goes to the fund to help the community not members/attendants of the church.