Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW16: Bookish Potpourri

Robin M

Hello my lovelies. Did you know today is World Plant a Vegetable Garden Day? How about we have just a plain old planting day. When I met my husband 28 years ago, he had two huge Hawaiian Schefflera plants growing in his shop and by the time we moved the business last October to our new building, it was still alive, (barely) root bound, a messy clump of limbs and leaves, with its fair share of aphids, that none of us wanted to move. He saved a clipping and low and behold, roots began to grow and the plant lives on. I think it's time for him to pot it, don't you think.

hawaiian%2Bscheflerra.jpg

April 22nd is Earth Day and Arbor Day is  on the 24th so I think it’s time to dig our hands into the soul and plant some seeds.  I jumped the gun on National Zucchini Bread day which is April 25th because I baked a couple loaves of zucchini bread this past week and  we have devoured one loaf and the other is in the freezer for later. 

zucchini%2Bbread%2B2.jpgzucchini%2Bbread.jpg

So get to planting and cooking while listening to some great audiobooks or bookish podcasts

Also consider reading a book which was written 50 years ago in 197075 years ago in 1945, or maybe a 100 years ago in 1920, plus learn about 30 Newsworthy Anniversaries in April 2020.

Cuddle Up With the 25 Best New Books Coming Out in April 2020

We have several anniversaries of well-known authors birthdays this week including William Shakespeare, Charlotte Bronte, Henry Fielding, Halldor Laxness, Dame Edith Ngaio Marsh, Daniel Defoe, and Anthony Trollope to name a few. 

It's National Library Week and many libraries are providing online services

Please also support your independent bookshops and help them stay afloat.

Don't forget it is still National Poetry Month. Bustle provides an interesting list of reads, and poets are taking open mic nights and readings online during April. Plus learn to write your own poems as well. 

HOPE WAITS

I'm here, she says
Lean on me. Wait, don't go.
I have much to teach,
We have far to row.

I'll do my best for tomorrow
There is hope in my sorrow.
We look, we listen, we wait.
We do our best to bear the hands of fate.

We are saved. I am here.
No more pain, no more fear.
Yes, I'll wait.
Stand tall, it's not too late.

Hope waits, hope gives,
Sorrow passes, hope lives.
Don't worry, don't hate.
Sorrow walks alone through the gate.

Remember, no matter what,
The door will not shut.
Nothing is beyond my reach.
I have much to teach.

Don't worry yourself so.
Save the tears for tomorrow.
Hope tells the tale,
blessings prevail.
Hope waits.

Blessings and good thoughts winging your way for a bright and hopeful tomorrow! 

Link to week 15

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews if you like.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 10

Some bookish posts ~

20 FEEL-GOOD EBOOKS UNLIKELY TO HAVE LONG LIBRARY WAITLISTS TO READ WHILE SOCIAL DISTANCING

https://bookriot.com/2020/03/27/feel-good-ebooks/

500 YEARS OF TRUE CRIME

https://crimereads.com/500-years-of-true-crime/

Five Books about Family Secrets by DANIELLE TRUSSONI

https://bookmarks.reviews/five-books-about-family-secrets/

SIX GREAT NOVELS ABOUT CRIME THAT AREN'T QUITE CRIME NOVELS

https://crimereads.com/six-great-novels-about-crime-that-arent-quite-crime-novels/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I finished Alix Harrow's The Ten Thousand Doors of January which was clever and heart wrenching and beautifully written.  I also finished a reread of Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing.  Every time I read it, I pick up something new.

I've added two new sip reads:   Pauses for Pentecost: 50 Words for 50 Days

Plus breakfast sip - Thomas Merton's Ascent to Truth.  Maybe reading it this way, I'll make it past the first chapter.  🙂

Fellowship of the Rings is waiting in the wings.  I may get a head start on our May LOF Sharon Kay Penman with When Christ and the Saints Slept. I'm in the mood for a good historical read. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Robin, last week you jumped ahead in time. This week you went backwards. I'm constantly confused, too!

This is Week 16, I believe.

Regards,

Kareni

Erm, yes... Thank you. 

Wishful thinking last week and  we have entered the twilight zone this week?  I also absent mindedly put away the peanut butter and butter in the microwave this morning.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Still on Deborah Crombie...

I guess I tend to find a series that I like at a season in my life, and stick with it for a while.  

Thanks for introducing me to it!

I did not know it was plant a vegetable garden day, but I am working on that!

• Like 9

I read You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life - 2 Stars - This was a monotonous read. I hoped that it would be insightful, but I was disappointed. Either I’m not the intended audience or this book is dated. I had hoped that it would be more autobiographical, but it was lacking in that sense. It just felt dry and dull.

All Flags Flying - 4 Stars - This book is more suitable for Baha’is or for those who are somewhat familiar with the Faith. I first read this more than thirty years ago and have always loved William Sears’s books. My only criticism with this one is the lack of continuity. I wish that the stories were more chronological. I should have re-read his other memoir first.

I got all emotional and teary-eyed when he described the “Zoo Crew” puppet show. Many years ago, after my husband read this book, he created a puppet show that was aired on TV with the same name. William Sears’s puppet show was our inspiration. Some of those episodes are on YouTube. I was one of the puppets and watching those episodes bring back such wonderful memories!

I loved the descriptions of their dachshunds (they had eleven of them!); the cakes that his wife Marguerite would bake; and all their travels. 

My favorite quotes:

“Do something every day for the Faith … Never let a day go by without doing something – however great, however small.” 

“The goal of every Baha’i is to become a better person, a finer human being. I realize with melancholy sadness that I myself am still a long way down the road.”

Everlasting Matrimony: Pearls of Wisdom from Couples Married Fifty Years or More - 5 Stars - If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. It’s a delightful coffee-table book. We’ve had this one for years and I finally finished reading it from cover-to-cover. Much of the advice is common sense, yet they are great reminders. This book would make a perfect wedding or anniversary gift.

My favorite quote:

“We’ve been married 50-plus years and the only thing I wish I’d known from the beginning is that it would get better every year! Better and better and better! I feel very sorry for couples that are divorcing since the best is yet to come.

We got one piece of advice from the minister who married us and it is one we carried with us from the beginning and one that works. He told us that there is no such thing as a 50/50 marriage. A good marriage is 75/25 – and both sides must give 75%. We both have tried to give more in all we have done and it works.

I love my husband, but more than that I like him. He is my best friend and we like to do things together – forget all the nonsense about opposites attracting. Couples do better if they have similar likes and dislikes and come from similar backgrounds and religions.

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone is true not only in the world, but also, especially, in marriage. A sense of humor is the best thing you can bring to marriage, and it will help you face all the problems of everyday living. Nothing gets too serious if you can laugh at it.

My advice to couples ready to wed is first, be friends, second, love each other, and third, laugh with and at each other. The time will fly by before you know it.”

For more quotes, here's a link to my Good Reads review

9780062061577.jpg   9780908420629.jpg   9781561678419.jpg

• Like 8

I'm enjoying my light reads. I finished a John Pickett mystery on my kindle, For Deader of Worse, and then started the next Captain Lacey mystery. The kindle works well for my treadmill reading. In the evenings I'm reading from both The Fellowship of the Ring and Whispers Underground, the third Rivers of London book. Emjoying both. Wasn't sure I would get into The Fellowship fo the Ring, but it's actually fitting me well at this time. I'm even reading all of the songs which I'm sure I skipped over when I read it as a teen!

• Like 9

Robin, loved the "Hope" poem! AND we planted a small veggie garden yesterday!

Reading:

Smoke Screen by Terri Blackstock

Finished Truth-Stained Lies and Distortion by same author and liked them. 

Audiobook:

Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist

I have two of Niequist's books and like her style. Will start the audio tomorrow on my way  to work. This is likely a timely book for me. The fact that I keep saying it wrong "Perfect over Present" tells me I really need to listen carefully!

:biggrin:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everybody!

I have gone back to mask making so have been listening to audiobooks more.  I finished Null Set https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41793435-null-set which is the second in a series that starts with Zero Sum Game.  I enjoyed listening but Zero Sum Game was much better.  I started listening to David Baldacci’s Memory Man......it is so good,  it completely hooked me within minutes.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23153154-memory-man?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=FmJ7iWOKWF&rank=1  This is the first in his Amos Decker series and I loved the John Puller ones. I think the narrator is the same!

I have been on a bit of a historical romance kick......a read a new author’s first To Have and to Hoax and found it entertaining https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49519916-to-have-and-to-hoax.  I am currently reading the second in a popular series by Diane Freeman A Ladies Guide to Gossip and Murder https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42204311-a-lady-s-guide-to-gossip-and-murder which is far better than I remember the first being.

I also finished the latest in a favorite cozy series by Miranda James, Careless Whiskers https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45553401-careless-whiskers and a contemporary romance called Not My Type by Anna Zarlenga https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48745987-not-my-type which I needed for a Z......not a favorite. 

• Like 8

My husband was back in the hospital on Friday, two weeks after his initial surgery when it was determined that his kidney was bleeding. He's just back home after surgery yesterday, and I sincerely hope he remains here now. He is so very ready to be well.

For some strange reason, I have not been doing a lot of reading....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

8 minutes ago, Kareni said:

My husband was back in the hospital on Friday, two weeks after his initial surgery when it was determined that his kidney was bleeding. He's just back home after surgery yesterday, and I sincerely hope he remains here now. He is so very ready to be well.

Regards,

Kareni

Hugs Karen! We hope and pray he makes steady progress in healing too!  😘

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

Hugs and prayers.

• Like 5

Transplanted some volunteer tomato seedlings into a bigger pot this past week (see below) -- my contribution to World Plant a Vegetable Garden Day -- at least for for the moment. 😉

To honor National Poetry Month, I'm enjoying listening to Sir Patrick Stewart read a Shakespeare sonnet a day. (Posted daily at his Instagram site: sirpatstew.)

Just finished The Blue Sword (Robin McKinley) as the last book for my Lit. & Writing co-op. A positive fantasy epic, and strong way to the end semester (after a run of 3 back-to-back darker books of Ender's Game / Animal Farm / Lord of the Flies). Now to finish creating the Lit. lessons to go with the book, to help us with discussion... 😉 

Continuing my lighter reading binge during the epidemic, and just finished the 4 books (soon to be 5) of the Murderbot Diaries (Martha Wells). SOOOO fun! I loved these! Definitely have book 5 in my cart, ready to hit "purchase" when it comes out on May 5th. 😄 

tomato volunteers.JPG

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 10

The seeds I'd sewn in pots set on the kitchen window have just sprouted. Grow little herbs! Grow little beans! Now if I can get my hands on some tomato seeds or seedlings...or spinach. Renee's Garden catalog seed company is overwhelmed with orders and out of some basics.

I am doing lots of mindless reading. I've got 2 hours to go in the audio of the sci-fi Vorkosigan saga, Cetaganda. Great mindless listen for sewing or puzzling.

Not surprised Robin has the weeks wrong starting these threads, but I'm so impressed with you remembering it is Sunday!! Time is so weirdly meaningless these days. At the end of each day I'm always a little stunned at how little I actually accomplished, or at how much time I spent doing the oddest things. Like, for instance, the hour or more I spent browsing all the books on Kindle Unlimited. Apparently it is important to pick just the right mindless read, free of charge. Two that I'm currently reading are Your Perfect Year, A Novel, a romantic comedy translated from German, and Where's Me Plaid? a Scottish travel book about a young man and his wife exploring Crawford family history in Scotland. 

Both books helped me stay awake long enough to give my dog her antibiotics last night, which are due every 8 hours. She had emergency surgery yesterday to deal with a nasty infected abscess, and now she is rocking the cone of shame while high on painkillers! We were trying to tweak the antibiotic schedule to avoid the middle of the night dose, but...well...this whole time thing. We forgot to give her the meds this afternoon, so I'm up til 1am again tonight. (Jigsaw puzzle and audiobook kept me going tonight.) Alright...time to give the dog her meds. Goodnight!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

Kareni, sending you all prayers and hugs. 

31 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Not surprised Robin has the weeks wrong starting these threads, but I'm so impressed with you remembering it is Sunday!! Time is so weirdly meaningless these days. At the end of each day I'm always a little stunned at how little I actually accomplished, or at how much time I spent doing the oddest things. Like, for instance, the hour or more I spent browsing all the books on Kindle Unlimited. Apparently it is important to pick just the right mindless read, free of charge. Two that I'm currently reading are Your Perfect Year, A Novel, a romantic comedy translated from German, and Where's Me Plaid? a Scottish travel book about a young man and his wife exploring Crawford family history in Scotland. 

Both books helped me stay awake long enough to give my dog her antibiotics last night, which are due every 8 hours. She had emergency surgery yesterday to deal with a nasty infected abscess, and now she is rocking the cone of shame while high on painkillers! We were trying to tweak the antibiotic schedule to avoid the middle of the night dose, but...well...this whole time thing. We forgot to give her the meds this afternoon, so I'm up til 1am again tonight. (Jigsaw puzzle and audiobook kept me going tonight.) Alright...time to give the dog her meds. Goodnight!

Jenn, your first paragraph describes exactly how I feel every day. What day is it? Where does the time go? I'm also shocked at how little I have accomplished, and yes, I've been doing the weirdest things also. 

Hope that your dog feels better very soon, and that you're able to get some sleep later. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi - I'm late, but last week I finished James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

It is thought-provoking on many levels, but this is something I wanted to share due to current world events.  It was written in 1962, but I'm copying it word for word so each person can consider how it may or may not apply today.

"But white Americans do not believe in death, and this is why the darkness of my skin so intimidates them.  And this is also why the presence of the Negro in this country can bring about its destruction.  It is the responsibility of free men to trust and celebrate what is constant - birth, struggle, and death are constant, and so is love, though we may not always think so - and to apprehend the nature of change, to be able and willing to change.  I speak of change not on the surface but in the depths - change in the sense of renewal.  But renewal becomes impossible if one supposes things to be constant that are not - safety, for example, or money, or power.  One clings then to chimeras, by which one can only be betrayed, and the entire hope - the entire possibility - of freedom disappears.  And by destruction I mean precisely the abdication by Americans of any effort really to be free."

My current personal reading is Ballots and Bullets by James Robenalt.  I didn't plan it this way, but there are some connections between this book and the previous one mentioned above.

• Like 9

One free Murderbot novella per day starting today and continuing.

Regards,

Kareni

The Tor.com Ebook Club is Offering...

ALL OF MARTHA WELLS’ MURDERBOT BOOKS!

Leading up to the May 5th release of NETWORK EFFECT, the first full-length novel featuring everyone’s favorite Murderbot!

“I love Murderbot!”—Ann Leckie

One Book-Per-Day Will Be Available:

Monday, April 20: All Systems Red (Book 1)(Expires 6 AM April 21)
Tuesday, April 21: Artificial Condition (Book 2)(Expires 6 AM April 22)
Wednesday, April 22: Rogue Protocol (Book 3)(Expires 6 AM April 23)
Thursday, April 23: Exit Strategy (Book 4)(Expires 6 AM April 24)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

One free Murderbot novella per day starting today and continuing.

Regards,

Kareni

The Tor.com Ebook Club is Offering...

ALL OF MARTHA WELLS’ MURDERBOT BOOKS!

Leading up to the May 5th release of NETWORK EFFECT, the first full-length novel featuring everyone’s favorite Murderbot!

“I love Murderbot!”—Ann Leckie

One Book-Per-Day Will Be Available:

Monday, April 20: All Systems Red (Book 1)(Expires 6 AM April 21)
Tuesday, April 21: Artificial Condition (Book 2)(Expires 6 AM April 22)
Wednesday, April 22: Rogue Protocol (Book 3)(Expires 6 AM April 23)
Thursday, April 23: Exit Strategy (Book 4)(Expires 6 AM April 24)

This series is awesome!   @aggieamy your people will like these.....

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Hope your fur baby feels better soon and you can get some sleep.   Yes, I agree.  April feels like it has lasted a year already.  And I'm spending far too much time online reading stupid things or watching celebrity videos and not getting anything of substance done.  I think I may unplug for a couple days. 

So my reading mood yesterday lead me to reading Michael Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay, a very dusty book in my bookshelves and when got tired of reading that, switched to ebook Witchin USA by Amanda Lee.  

• Like 7

@Kareni Thank you for the murderbot links and will give the first book a read. 

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Hi - I'm late, but last week I finished James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

It is thought-provoking on many levels, but this is something I wanted to share due to current world events.  It was written in 1962, but I'm copying it word for word so each person can consider how it may or may not apply today.

"But white Americans do not believe in death, and this is why the darkness of my skin so intimidates them.  And this is also why the presence of the Negro in this country can bring about its destruction.  It is the responsibility of free men to trust and celebrate what is constant - birth, struggle, and death are constant, and so is love, though we may not always think so - and to apprehend the nature of change, to be able and willing to change.  I speak of change not on the surface but in the depths - change in the sense of renewal.  But renewal becomes impossible if one supposes things to be constant that are not - safety, for example, or money, or power.  One clings then to chimeras, by which one can only be betrayed, and the entire hope - the entire possibility - of freedom disappears.  And by destruction I mean precisely the abdication by Americans of any effort really to be free."

My current personal reading is Ballots and Bullets by James Robenalt.  I didn't plan it this way, but there are some connections between this book and the previous one mentioned above.

Wow, quite thought provoking and going to let that mull in my mind a bit.  Sounds like an interesting book. 

• Like 5

@JennW in SoCal I was thinking about your dog while riding my bike because there were two golden’s out for a walk.  If I remember right you have a golden retriever.

Today I started Fortunes Fool https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45274933-fortune-s-fool?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=A17YZC0Gm5&rank=2 by one of our own  @Angelaboord.  I am embarrassed to say I have had it on my kindle for awhile.  So far I am hooked.....

@Lady Florida. Wondering how you move is going?

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

@Kareni - I hope that we get a better update from you soon!

Count me in as another one to whom time no longer has any meaning. I saw a joke that there aren't days of the week anymore and each day is simply Todayday. That's my life right now. 

I finished another audiobook. This is basically the level I'm able to enjoy a book these days. Witch Miss Seton by Heron Carvic. It's silly and unbelievable and I lost five hours of my life listening to it. It's what I needed. 

• Like 6

Thank you for the kind wishes you've shared above.

5 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

Kareni - I hope that we get a better update from you soon!

Today is a better day than yesterday though my husband has continued to be feverish much of the day. We've taken a couple of short walks outside, and he was sad to realize that he has less stamina now than before the recent surgery. I hope that tomorrow will see more improvement.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Kareni said:

Thank you for the kind wishes you've shared above.

Today is a better day than yesterday though my husband has continued to be feverish much of the day. We've taken a couple of short walks outside, and he was sad to realize that he has less stamina now than before the recent surgery. I hope that tomorrow will see more improvement.

Regards,

Kareni

Continuing to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 4

Btw I have nothing to report because I have to read YA historical novel Hittite Warrior, which I will neither report the completion of nor count on my official list except mentally on my invisibly Disgruntled Reading 10x10 category. But last time I was able to read it, my real book was pretty good and I'll report on it whenever. Also I am still reading to Wee Girl Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which I've never read before and definitely will count. 

• Like 8

An anecdote ~

During my husband's most recent surgical procedure, he was conscious throughout. He was asked what music he would like to listen to and opted for Vivaldi.

"How do you spell that?" asked the young male nurse.

" V I V A L D I, " replied my husband.

"Got it," said the nurse.

My husband was amused!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Mystery of Edward Drood by Charles Dickens

"Charles Dickens’s puzzling—and unfinished—final novel

The Mystery of Edwin Drood has enthralled readers since its 1st publication in 1870. Left unfinished at the time of Dickens’s death, the ending of the book remains a mystery. The story follows Edwin Drood, a young man who has promised to wed the beautiful Rosa Bud when he comes of age. But the lovely Rosa has caught the eyes of other men—including Edwin’s uncle Jasper. On a stormy Christmas Eve, Edwin receives an ominous warning, and by the following morning he has mysteriously disappeared. Foul play seems likely, and there are suspects aplenty . . .

This beguilingly open-ended mystery is sure to enchant."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

This afternoon I finished a book which I enjoyed, Taji From Beyond the Rings  by R. Cooper (Adult content)

"The Interplanetary Trade Coalition has not been welcomed with open arms by the Sha Empire. Isolated at the far edge of a distant system, the Sha are distrustful of outsiders, and previous I.P.T.C. diplomatic missions have ended with members imprisoned or dead. But, if pushed enough, the I.P.T.C. will overrun the planet to take what it wants. The situation is already precarious when student linguist Taji Ameyo is conscripted to translate for the newest I.P.T.C. ambassador. Taji, used to being alone, has never learned to hide his heart or his opinions, and the controlled Sha nobility regard little, outspoken human Taji with fascination, calling him shehzha.

Mysterious, coveted figures, so devoted to their lovers that pleasing them is a test of Shavian honor, shehzha are usually kept out of public view. Taji is a nobody, hardly alluring, and yet it’s not long before his runaway mouth gets him entangled in imperial politics, and he has no one rely on but the soldiers assigned to protect him—one soldier, more than the others.

At the mercy of both a greedy trade coalition and a proud empire, Taji has to determine what it means to be shehzha, while surrounded by ambitious noble families and a sharp-eyed emperor, and hopefully learn enough about the Sha to keep him and everyone he cares about alive. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Howdy.  I had a bit of synchronicity this morning.  I started reading Chabon a couple days ago.  I picked up By the Book (Writers on Literature and the Literary Life from the New York Time book review)  this morning and flipped to a random page.  Michael Chabon.  Hah!  He mentioned Edward St. Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels a few times amongst other books. 

The next author Jeffrey Eugenides also mentions St. Aubyn.  All told there are 8 authors who talk about St Aubyn. I guess he was popular the year this book came out. So have any of you read St. Aubyn?  I looked at the info on the first book and it isn't exactly enticing me to read it.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Btw I have nothing to report because I have to read YA historical novel Hittite Warrior, which I will neither report the completion of nor count on my official list except mentally on my invisibly Disgruntled Reading 10x10 category. But last time I was able to read it, my real book was pretty good and I'll report on it whenever. Also I am still reading to Wee Girl Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which I've never read before and definitely will count. 

Yes, definitely.  I read 20,000 Leagues aloud to James too so thumbs up as the narrator narrates everything under the sea!

• Like 4

I finished Baldacci’s Memory Man on audio today.It was a great listen because it was so well paced.  The main character is an ex policeman who because of a head injury can never forget anything.   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23153154-memory-man   Because I am waiting on several audiobook hold’s I went ahead and checked the next in the series out and plan to start it tomorrow.

I also binge read The Chase Elle Kennedy.  Binge read means I couldn’t put it down but I need to add that it has significant blush worthy adult content.  I have the next in the series ready to read......enough said.😉.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34851664-the-chase

• Like 8

We are still doing standardized testing here, so I've had some dedicated reading time while I'm proctoring.  On Monday and Tuesday I read Agatha Christie's The Big Four.  I enjoyed it, but I am beginning to think that Agatha Christie is not really my kind of author.  It all just seems so far-fetched...

I also finished a little book called The Sacred Path: The Way of the Muscogee Creeks.  Wow!  This is the book that I have needed to have a better understanding of my probable Creek heritage.  I have been working of family genealogy for several years and have found a very strong link to the Creeks.  This book was written by a full-blood Creek who has a deep understanding of the culture and beliefs of the Creek Indians.  It was really, really a pleasure to read.

And, I've been spending some time on the back deck in the evenings (before the mosquitoes come), making some really good progress on Les Miserables.

The Big Four by Agatha Christie A Sacred Path by Jean Haya-Atke Hiyutke Chau...

• Like 6

Hi everyone! Just finished the first in a series - The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles #1) by Tess Gerritsen. It follows a couple of detectives as they go after a serial killer who tortures his victims before killing them. It was so very bloody and much too descriptive for my liking. I ended up skimming about the last third of the novel just to see who the killer was. I won't be reading any more of this series. 

As I organize my garage (need to get it done before it becomes unbearably hot here), I have been listening to Stephen King read his novella, Elevation. It's about a man who keeps losing weight yet doesn't look any different.  I'm enjoying it so far. 

@Kareni I hope your dh is feeling better!

• Like 5

Results of Round 3 of the Crown Family Quarantine Reading Competition:

Winner, Wee Girl (again...) with:
1. Uncle Cleans Up
2. Bedknob and Broomstick
3. Carbonel and Calidor
4. A Tale of Two Cities
5. The Santa Fe Trail
6. Tales of Ancient Egypt

Second place, Violet:
1-3. King Henry VI
4. A Tale of Two Cities
5. The Church in an Age of Revolution

Third place, dh:
1. The Tragedy of Hoffman
2. The Season of Migration to the North

Fourth place, Middle Girl:
1. "I'm trying to prep for my APs, okay?"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

...I have been listening to Stephen King read his novella, Elevation. It's about a man who keeps losing weight yet doesn't look any different.  I'm enjoying it so far. 

@Kareni I hope your dh is feeling better!

I read Elevation last year (which feels rather like last decade at this point!).  I don't typically read Stephen King since I'm generally something of a wimp; however, I did enjoy this work.

Thanks for all the good wishes for my husband. He is now fever free for the first time in days and is feeling good. I hope this will maintain going forward.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Fourth place, Middle Girl:
1. "I'm trying to prep for my APs, okay?"

When will those take place? And which tests does she plan to take? Please wish her well with her studies.

31 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Winner, Wee Girl (again...) with:
1. Uncle Cleans Up
2. Bedknob and Broomstick
3. Carbonel and Calidor
4. A Tale of Two Cities
5. The Santa Fe Trail
6. Tales of Ancient Egypt

Kudos to the repeat champion!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

When will those take place? And which tests does she plan to take? Please wish her well with her studies.

Mid-May for Latin and Chemistry; June for Physics. This is the year of the APs she didn't want to take: she dislikes science and is taking Phys, Bio, and Chem hoping to place out of all science in college; and she resents having to return to Caesar for the AP. For such a cheerful child she's awfully grim about her exam! Thank you for the well-wishes. I hope to survive her APs.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I hope to survive her APs.

I hope you'll both survive!

20 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

...she resents having to return to Caesar ...

My daughter took the AP Latin exam when there were two exams (I think they alternated from year to year); I suspect that my daughter would also have disliked returning to Caesar.

I hope that all will go well for her.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe,

"The haunting, atmospheric tale that set the standard for the Gothic novel

Emily St. Aubert leads a simple and contented life. A lover of nature, she finds the like-minded man of her dreams, the handsome Valancourt, on a journey across the Pyrenees. Her peace and happiness, however, come to a swift end when her father succumbs to an illness and she is sent to live with her aunt.

Madame Cheron does not share her niece’s interest in the natural world and shows little concern for the girl’s feelings. When her aunt marries a haughty Italian nobleman, Montoni, Emily has no choice but to accompany the couple to the gloomy and remote Castle Udolpho. Unsure if she will ever see her beloved Valancourt again, she is alone, trapped, and frightened. Her nightmare is about to begin. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4