Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW16: Bookish Potpourri

Robin M

Last night, I reread All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells which I enjoyed once again.

"A murderous android discovers itself in All Systems Red, a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that interrogates the roots of consciousness through Artificial Intelligence.

"As a heartless killing machine, I was a complete failure."

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I just ran into this so have not read it yet.......

Kelley Armstrong, the author of the really popular Otherworld series, is writing a free serialized book during quarantine.  She is releasing chapters twice a week.   http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/book/cursed-luck/ Planning to try this later today.  

I spent yesterday listening to Baldacci’s Amos Decker and hand quilting tiny hexagons.......grateful to have found a series that grabs my attention.  Posting a picture of the project box from a month or so ago.  Using scrap fabric bits which I have been saving.  Not sure what I plan to do with these........maybe a bag but I need to make many more.

1DBAD14A-9566-4572-9B26-E3FFB3033CD6.jpeg

• Like 10

A couple of bookish posts ~

From the Word Wenches: Meet Bronwyn Parry

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2020/04/meet-bronwyn-parry.html#comment-6a00d8341c84c753ef0240a522550e200b

Happy Little Ents: The Middle-earth Landscapes of Artist Ted Naismith

https://www.tor.com/2020/03/20/happy-little-ents-the-middle-earth-landscapes-of-artist-ted-naismith/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished a really good mystery today, the first in a series about a Scottish detective working on cold cases. It was The Distant Echo by Val McDermid. Have any of my fellow mystery readers read any of these?  (Looks at Goodreads....sees that Mumto2 has read them!!) I really enjoyed this one and will certainly read the others in the series. 

• Like 7

Last night I read an enjoyable romance novella, Dei Ex Machina by Kim Fielding. (Adult content)

"Captured young and enslaved by the Romans, Sabbio died while building Diocletian’s palace. For seventeen hundred years he has haunted the city of Split, watching and listening as people pass through the old palace; but he is always alone. One afternoon he spies a handsome but sad man at a café, and Sabbio is intrigued.

Eight months earlier, landscaper Mason Gould’s husband was randomly murdered. In an attempt to comfort him, friends and family take him on a trip to Croatia. A local woman offers to help him contact his husband’s spirit, but they connect to Sabbio instead.

Mason and Sabbio quickly make an emotional connection. But Sabbio is a ghost and Mason must return to California. For two men centuries apart, it’s going to take a miracle to make love work."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins by Randolph Lalonde,

"It is the distant future and one man, Jonas Valent, is letting his life slip by. He is employed by Freeground station as a port traffic controller, a job he took after completing a tour in the military. His only real joy in life is his participation in true-to-life military simulations with a cadre of friends who come together regularly to defeat challenges made to test the brightest military cadets and officers alike. These restricted scenarios stand as an addictive preoccupation that is so enticing that they ignore the potential repercussions of breaking in to participate.

When someone betrays their identities to the Freeground Fleet Admiralty, Jonas and his friends are faced with a far greater challenge: to venture out into the more populated regions of the galaxy to acquire technology and knowledge. They are tasked with laying the groundwork for the Freeground Nation in their efforts to reconnect with the rest of humanity, and to secure the armaments they might need to defend themselves from encroaching enemies.

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins is a collected trilogy that chronicles the early adventures of an ambitious crew. Their leader, Jonas Valent, has the least to lose and everything to gain as he tells the tale of his first tour as Captain of a ship tasked with making allies and discovering new technologies for the good of his people. This simple mission becomes more complicated as the crew ventures further into the settled fringes of the galaxy. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 4/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, mumto2 said:

I just ran into this so have not read it yet.......

Kelley Armstrong, the author of the really popular Otherworld series, is writing a free serialized book during quarantine.  She is releasing chapters twice a week.   http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/book/cursed-luck/ Planning to try this later today.  

I spent yesterday listening to Baldacci’s Amos Decker and hand quilting tiny hexagons.......grateful to have found a series that grabs my attention.  Posting a picture of the project box from a month or so ago.  Using scrap fabric bits which I have been saving.  Not sure what I plan to do with these........maybe a bag but I need to make many more.

1DBAD14A-9566-4572-9B26-E3FFB3033CD6.jpeg

I'm envisioning hats with fabric flowers around the hat band!  

A few finds on the interweb: 

Why Willem Dafoe, Iggy Pop and more are reading The Rime of the Ancient Mariner to us

Everyday We’re Scrolling: 10 Entertaining Apps to Download in 2020

22 Authors Share Their Comfort Reads

Poetry From The Peninsula

The Armchair Traveler’s Audiobook Guide

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

The plan is to organize the more like a garden.......green grass, several rows of flowers, with blue sky on top.  Someplace I saw something similar but didn’t save the image over on Pinterest.

I finished my Amos Decker listen and was able to listen to about half of the second Rosalind Thorne regency/cozy.  I like the quite a bit.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31452762-a-purely-private-matter  I am back making masks.....

• Like 6

Just finished The Other Bennet Sister (Hadlow) -- lovely!

It feels like a genuine Austen extension to Pride and Prejudice, from the perspective of Mary, the neglected middle daughter. A gentle read, feels like Austen's writing style, and it's wonderful to see the character of Mary fleshed out, as well as her London-based aunt, Mrs. Gardiner. The author also redeems Mr. Collins, but makes the character of Charlotte a bit off-putting -- an interesting choice, and I see why she did it -- I just didn't like that, as I LOVE the sympathetic portray of Charlotte in the 2005 film version of Pride & Prejudice. The one small item in the story that I found unbelievable to the time/culture of Austen was at the very end of the book -- the ultimate fate of Caroline Bingley, who otherwise is very-well written in this story, continuing to be the snotty, superior, rich husband-hunting foil to the Bennett sisters. 😉 

Hadlow also weaves in variations of characters and lines from all the other Austen novels -- esp. familiar if you've watched the film and BBC versions, which makes sense, as Hadlow headed up BBC 2 and 4 for over 20 years! She has a history degree and has previously written a biography of King George III. This is her first novel, and is amazingly well-written for a first fiction work.

Anyways, 2 thumbs up for this pleasant (and at times amusing) "quarantine" read, recommended to me by my adult niece. She and I have been swapping book ideas a lot over the past few years. 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 8

My very first Harlequin at 12 was a Betty Neels.......we were on a family vacation and I ran out of books.  I started eyeing my mom’s Harlequin bag and she gave in and handed me a Betty Neels. Betty Neels books are clean love stories that almost always feature some sweet girl marrying the famous surgeon. I was destined to like it because of all those Cherry Ames mysteries. 😉 I spotted a review of a Betty Neels book today and discovered my overdrive has a few.  I will probably check one out......I already have the first Nora Roberts Stanislaski series (Taming Natasha) ready to read. 

https://dearauthor.com/book-reviews/overall-b-reviews/b-plus-reviews/review-the-bachelors-wedding-by-betty-neels/

https://dearauthor.com/features/essays/reading-betty-neels-across-the-years/

I stayed up late finishing a Patricia Wentworth.  It was The Clock Strikes Twelve which I am pretty sure I must have read years ago.  Maybe it was living in my mom’s book bag too!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Did your parents ever just drop you off at the library for hours at a time? Mine did. As a parent now, I’m slightly appalled. As a kid, I loved it.  

I too spent hours at the library from about age ten up. It was in the library at about age eleven that I was approached by a man who was likely a pedophile.  "Would you like to use my calculator?  I could get one for you ...."  Bear in mind that this was in the seventies when calculators were a new thing and cost hundreds of dollars; I resisted the lure.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3