Menu

-

alisoncooks

Stretching cannot be skipped or skimped on as you age.  Sometimes, I take an ibuprofen before bed because I KNOW the next day will be rough.  I think that past 45 you have to choose between the pain of moving and the pain of not moving.  Getting older is NOT for wimps.

• Like 7

@alisoncooks  you've described my experience exactly.  I am very much out of shape.   I work in the yard and I can barely walk that evening/next day.  It sucks.    I have slowly started doing *some* yoga and I recently started more cardio/cross-training exercises.   It's at my own pace and I am trying to take it slowly so I don't injure myself.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

It sounds like me, and I don't consider myself out of shape, though I'm a little fluffy. 😁

Last weekend I did some yard work and weeding and the next day my rump was particularly sore! Targeted exercise, I guess. Ow.

In fact, it sort of encourages me to know that others feel this way. 

I've recently tried taking one ibuprofen after working out (jujitsu) and find that I wake up a lot less miserable. I am going to ask my dr at some point whether taking that 3x/wk is a bad idea. 

• Like 2

Totally normal. Painting is exhausting, even if one is in shape. It involves a lot of repetitive movements that we're not used to doing.  

Best thing is to take frequent breaks, limit the hours doing the activity or spread it over several days, and stretch during/afterwards. This goes for most exercise as we age, like gardening, hiking, running, etc.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Totally normal. Painting is exhausting, even if one is in shape. It involves a lot of repetitive movements that we're not used to doing.  

Best thing is to take frequent breaks, limit the hours doing the activity or spread it over several days, and stretch during/afterwards. This goes for most exercise as we age, like gardening, hiking, running, etc.

When I'm gardening, for example, I'll begin the day with some yoga, then weed for an hour, have a cup of tea, prune for an hour, then walk the dog.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

When I'm gardening, for example, I'll begin the day with some yoga, then weed for an hour, have a cup of tea, prune for an hour, then walk the dog.

Perfect!  I forgot to add 'snow shovelling' as a repetitive activity that can cause muscle soreness, back pain, not to mention a general dislike of snow and cold! 🥶

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

Perfect!  I forgot to add 'snow shovelling' as a repetitive activity that can cause muscle soreness, back pain, not to mention a general dislike of snow and cold! 🥶

It took me ten years to realise that spending the whole day on one activity was unwise.  Sometimes I wonder about myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

LOL, I don't know if I'm relieved that it's normal or now concerned for the years to come!! 😂

FWIW, I painted for all of Groundhog Day, Back to the Future 3, and most of LOTR Return of the King...so a loooong time. 😉 (And then only slept 2 hours because I painted through the night to be ahead of carpet installers. I was ruined!)

Good grief, woman, you ASKED for it.  It's like each activity has it's own specialized muscles and being "in shape" for anything else counts for NOTHING when you do a repetitive task for hours on end.  

I spend at least eight hours in a dance studio each week.  I think I'm in decent shape for an old broad.  In the fall I threw out my back and was couch-bound for DAYS and slowed up for weeks because I spend an hour shoveling mulch.  It wasn't even a continuous hour!  It was two 30-minute sessions!

• Like 4

I remember my dad complaining about feeling "old."  I didn't get it until I hit about 38.  Everything started to hurt.

Then I came down with the mumps (yes I was vaccinated, but there was an outbreak in the closest University town at the time).  It really hurt.  I found some advice to make a ginger compress online with the powder from the spice cabinet.  The swelling went halfway down in 20 minutes. With two more compresses I was healed. I got really curious about the anti-inflammatory powers of spices.  I read really good things about ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon, and even better when mixed together. I bought organic spices at Costco, mixed them, filled capsules myself with a machine from a health food store.  I started taking a couple capsules of this mixture 3-4 times a day, whenever I ached.  In two days I felt remarkably better.  In two weeks I started feeling like I was 16 again.   I stopped having to take them so constantly.

I still take these things instead of advil.  I've learned NOT to take turmeric during my period (it's a blood thinner).  I usually just buy pills of all 3 individually from the supplement section of Walmart.  I'm not sure it's quite as effective as making it myself, but it's much less labor intensive. They all 3 combat inflammation, but together there's some synergy that make them better than alone.  I used to get pneumonia all the time.  I've probably had it 10 times in my life, as well as some other issues with my kidneys, heart, and brain.  A neurologist diagnosed me with lupus in my 20's.  Since I've been taking these supplements my rheumatologist said my numbers were perfect. I haven't had pneumonia.  I got really sick two weeks ago and felt it settle into my lungs, took the supplements and it lifted before I thought to call the doctor.

It obviously isn't a magical drug, it's just food.  Food that some people may be allergic to. A pharmaceutical company could never make a bunch of money with it.  And with the state of the world stalking through various stores right now to find either supplements or ingredients MIGHT not be the healthiest thing to do. But if you're feeling old and you want to try it, it's under $25 in supplements at Walmart.   Maybe more in the next few months because some of the same spices might fight cytokines, which is the deadly reaction to the coronavirus.  I highly recommend trying them if you're so inclined.

• Like 2