Menu

now what??? What to watch on TV when....

ProudGrandma

...you have watched everything that remotely interests you....and in some cases more than once.  It's not like I spend 7 hours a day watching TV or anything...but I do like to watch a couple hours most nights as wind down....and I run out of options.  We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.  I like doctor shows (like Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice), I like shows like Gilmore Girls, Parenthood, Brothers and Sisters...that sort of thing.  Shows that I like that are currently running are This is Us, The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam and Chicago Med.  I am not into cop shows or sci fi at all. 

I am open to suggestions.

thanks.

Even if you don't really like cop shows, maybe try White Collar?  It's pretty clean, not generally gory, clever, and not so much guns blazing.  It's my go to when I run out of other things.

The Resident is a bit goofy and unrealistic (although maybe not in comparison to New Amsterdam!), but I like it.  I also like 9-1-1, and its LoneStar version is at least interesting.

Schooled (I've never seen more than a few clips of The Goldbergs, and it's a spin-off) is very silly but funny for those of us who went to school in the 90s.  

• Like 1

I don't even know what made me start watching it, but I've been sucked into The Good Place on Netflix.  It's goofy and quirky, but it's not like it's full of stupid humor- it's intelligent humor.  

We very recently cut our cable so are exploring all that is available via Hulu, Amazon prime and Netflix. SO much out there, it's actually a little overwhelming to narrow down something new to try and watch.  

I watch some of the same shows you're watching now, and the rest interest me, lol. 

DH and I have been watching Speechless (sit com, 3 seasons) on Hulu and we're going through Leverage (5 seasons on Vudu and Pluto, currently free w/ ads on both, but the ads are less annoying and better spaced on Vudu.) What I like about Leverage is the caper feel from the Ocean's movies, and also like those movies, it's unrealistic, but fun. What I don't like is the violence. Elliott "The Hitter" is cute, but I get tired of his beat up 10 armed men w/ just his hands and feet scenes. If you're OK w/ cheering for criminals, then you can FF through the fight scenes or go reboot the laundry. Just don't miss the jabs between the characters, especially between Elliott and Hardison. 

What about "The Middle" ?  I don't know if it's available on Hulu or anything.  It just went off the air last year.

I enjoyed "Rake".  It's light.  He's a rouge but a charming rouge.   I'm on the last season on Netflix and it's gotten weird and not as good, but the other 4 were fun.

We enjoyed "The Travelers"  It's time travel but not really sci fiction (no space travel). 

This is kind of old, but we loved "Slings and Arrows".  I think it's on Prime or AcornTV.

Someone here recommended "Corner Gas" on Amazon Prime a while ago and we love it.  Thank you to whoever it was!!

I just recently finished (re) watching ER on Hulu; it's truly fabulous. More doctor-y than either of the others you've mentioned, but I like most all of your same list (including current stuff) and it was just so good to revisit it and rewatch. Plus, 14 seasons, so lots of time to get through it. 

I've lately started trying out Station 19, the Grey's Anatomy spinoff, and it's okay. 

There was a show, only one season, that I liked, The Village. There's a similar-ish drama show, A Million Little Things; I haven't tried it yet, but looks like it could be good. Or, along those lines, people keep recommending Parenthood to me, but again, I've not tried it yet. These would all have a kind of Gilmore Girls meets This is Us feel to them. 

Oh, we enjoyed Life in Pieces quite a bit, also. Funny/quirky, but good. 

House is good, but after a point we started timing how long into the show it would take them to find the answer.....it was almost always down to the exact moment, week after week after week (we could look at how much time had passed and know it was the wrong answer). Other than that, good show as far as doctor shows go. 

• Like 1