Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Watching a live stream conference with health authorities 

Hearing the dudes phone or alarm start ringing and seeing him wrap up rapidly and leave wasn’t reassuring.  Nor was the cough before announcing international numbers 

What health officials? Australia? WHO? China? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From Global Times

China's General Administration of Customs vowed to enhance joint efforts with various departments to crack down on wild animal trafficking. The novel #coronavirus, based on current research, originated from bats and was transferred to humans.

I haven’t been able to keep up with this thread and I suspect this or something similar has already been linked but decided just in case someone hasn’t seen this incredible part of the wild animal market story to add it in https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/ Per this article animals from the virus research center in Wuhan were being sold after they were used as research subjects to the market next door for FOOD.  Yes, instead of humanely euthanizing them before cremation like the rest of the world these researchers sell animals infected with whatever they are researching to the public!  I am so disgusted on so many levels 🤮

• Confused 1

Just now, mumto2 said:

I haven’t been able to keep up with this thread and I suspect this or something similar has already been linked but decided just in case someone hasn’t seen this incredible part of the wild animal market story to add it in https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/ Per this article animals from the virus research center in Wuhan were being sold after they were used as research subjects to the market next door for FOOD.  Yes, instead of humanely euthanizing them before cremation like the rest of the world these researchers sell animals infected with whatever they are researching to the public!  I am so disgusted on so many levels 🤮

I had seen that but not from a reputable source.  Is NY Post reputable?  If it’s true that’s crazy!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Watching a live stream conference with health authorities 

Hearing the dudes phone or alarm start ringing and seeing him wrap up rapidly and leave wasn’t reassuring.  Nor was the cough before announcing international numbers 

What's the link?

16 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I had seen that but not from a reputable source.  Is NY Post reputable?  If it’s true that’s crazy!

Much, much less reputable than NY Times generally.  But sometimes gets things right that others get wrong.    Take with generous dose of skepticism.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Renai said:

What's the link?

It’s on Facebook live through channel 7 - I don’t know how to link.  They usually only put those videos up for an hour you might be able to search.  It’s mostly about the situation in Australia so maybe not overly interesting from a world perspective.  It just wasn’t very confidence inspiring.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My Dh found it and linked it to me.  He is sleeping so can’t ask him if he saw it elsewhere.  As Pen just said they are right sometimes........right often enough for me to really wonder because this actually sort of explains how things keep originating in China.    

1 minute ago, mumto2 said:

My Dh found it and linked it to me.  He is sleeping so can’t ask him if he saw it elsewhere.  As Pen just said they are right sometimes........right often enough for me to really wonder because this actually sort of explains how things keep originating in China.    

Some of the more speculative media have been closer to the truth than mainstream out there this time round, I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So reported figures total for mainland China is only 409 new cases but 150 deaths mostly in Hubei.  So we still seem to have the slowdown in new cases.  But a higher number of fatalities.

There may be figures changing depending on when one checks in.  Here’s my Worldometer screen shot:

786F67AA-D212-4A10-AF15-12ECA8E1D501.png

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Some of the more speculative media have been closer to the truth than mainstream out there this time round, I guess.

When I read it I saw it says “may” a lot.  So somewhat an opinion piece, but prior sales of research animals to be food looks like it is stated as fact, and probably that is.  And what happened before could well have repeated.

So I’ll not jump into thinking that IS what happened.  But it might have been.  

• Like 3

If Iran did not have virus mutation making it more deadly, then what’s the extrapolation from people dead to number of cases they must actually have?

If fatality rate is 2% as per WHO, then 8 dead would be 400 cases roughly, not 40.   If I did math right.  Correct me please if wrong

Edited by Pen

From Global Times

Priority is given to children of #COVID19 medical staff in the recruitment process for more than 3,000 jobs in China's top 500 enterprises, following an initiative put forward by the Business Federation of #Hubei Province

more focus on rewarding medical staff in various ways.

11 minutes ago, popmom said:

The most recent news I'm seeing is that plans to move the cruise ship passengers to Anniston, AL have been canceled.

Good.  I think that should be available for hurricane and that sort of situation disasters if I understand Anniston correctly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pen said:

If fatality rate is 2% as per WHO, then 8 dead would be 400 cases roughly, not 40.   If I did math right.  Correct me please if wrong

The 2% is an approximation and not for small samples. Kind of like how normal distribution in statistics work. 

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

When I read it I saw it says “may” a lot.  So somewhat an opinion piece, but prior sales of research animals to be food looks like it is stated as fact, and probably that is.  And what happened before could well have repeated.

When I was in college dorm (not China) in the early 90s, the medical students would smuggle hamsters and mice use for research out to dorm mates to be use as pets instead of euthanizing them. Occasionally rabbits and guinea pigs were also smuggled out of medical school labs. Once a research lab monkey escaped and we had to keep a lookout and let any medical faculty student or staff know if we see a monkey on campus. 

• Like 2

Did a quick search, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread that the CDC had updated its COVID-19 situation summary today with significant changes.

[...] it’s important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. [...]

What May Happen

More cases are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including in the United States. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, workplaces, and other places for mass gatherings may experience more absenteeism. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and transportation industry may also be affected. Health care providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions would be the most important response strategy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The 2% is an approximation and not for small samples. Kind of like how normal distribution in statistics work. 

When I was in college dorm (not China) in the early 90s, the medical students would smuggle hamsters and mice use for research out to dorm mates to be use as pets instead of euthanizing them. Occasionally rabbits and guinea pigs were also smuggled out of medical school labs. Once a research lab monkey escaped and we had to keep a lookout and let any medical faculty student or staff know if we see a monkey on campus. 

I can imagine this happening in my house.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

CNA has an interview with a Singaporean recovered from Covid-19 that is very good.  I can’t link.  

It gives a good sense of what it took for hospital to achieve a recovery.

CNA article link. Video in article https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-coronavirus-wuhan-ncid-singaporean-china-12439754

These two links are from a Christian website of two others who have recovered. The Straits Times version are paywalled and I have exceeded the free articles quota. 
http://saltandlight.sg/news/i-am-a-covid-19-survivor-grace-aog-senior-pastor-discharged-after-10-days/

http://saltandlight.sg/news/i-am-case-48-of-covid-19-yesterday-i-was-discharged/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cecropia said:

Did a quick search, but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread that the CDC had updated its COVID-19 situation summary today with significant changes.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html

Thanks!  First I saw this!  

I expect very soon WHO is going to have to declare pandemic.

I am wondering if they are avoiding it because they don’t have resources to cope.

WHO website has an appeal to raise money.

Looks like lockdown is lifting somewhat in Wuhan.

Global Times

“Wuhan has eased lockdown by allowing stranded personnel to leave the city, if not under medical observation or quarantine. Wuhan dwellers and vehicles from outside the city could return after following necessary procedures. #COVID19”

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Locally I’m seeing disinfectant and antibacterial products as well as emergency type foods in prominent planes making me think while people aren’t saying they take it seriously some people are quietly stocking up.

If I were in area heading into winter I think instead of thinking toward garden planting, I’d look at getting seeds that sprout well to be able to have that if going to stores isn’t viable.  Either bulk bin food seeds  that will sprout or seeds like broccoli bought specific for purpose (seeds need to be untreated).   

And I’d try it out when it isn’t yet an emergency need for it.  Some things like whole peas and radishes and broccoli can make good edible sprouts grown in little pots in soil.  And that would probably use less water than jar type sprouting in case of water shortages.  (Which dry places often have even with no emergency). 

If your winters are mild enough and you have garden space I’d try to put in some outdoor food type plants too:   Like maybe kale and collards which are high in a bunch of useful phytonutrients and can be eaten at a variety of stages from sprout to more mature. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

If I were in area heading into winter I think instead of thinking toward garden planting, I’d look at getting seeds that sprout well to be able to have that if going to stores isn’t viable.  Either bulk bin food seeds  that will sprout or seeds like broccoli bought specific for purpose (seeds need to be untreated).   

And I’d try it out when it isn’t yet an emergency need for it.  Some things like whole peas and radishes and broccoli can make good edible sprouts grown in little pots in soil.  And that would probably use less water than jar type sprouting in case of water shortages.  (Which dry places often have even with no emergency). 

If your winters are mild enough and you have garden space I’d try to put in some outdoor food type plants too:   Like maybe kale and collards which are high in a bunch of useful phytonutrients and can be eaten at a variety of stages from sprout to more mature. 

vegetable gardens in Australia can be better than summer ones, because there is less drying heat.

• Like 2

Wuhan city, the widely-believed source of the novel coronavirus epidemic or #COVID19, made a decision Monday to allow city residents not infected with the virus to exit for urgent operations in other cities.“

from global times

not sure what urgent operations means

According to China Daily six provincial health commissions have lowered their emergency response level.

Edited by Ausmumof3

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wuhan city, the widely-believed source of the novel coronavirus epidemic or #COVID19, made a decision Monday to allow city residents not infected with the virus to exit for urgent operations in other cities.“

from global times

According to China Daily six provincial health commissions have lowered their emergency response level.

This is interesting. Hopefully a positive sign and not an indication that the virus is not containable, and thus no point of a lockdown. 

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

from global times

from CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-coronavirus-china-wuhan-quarantine-12463980

“Non-residents may leave the central city of 11 million people if they show no symptoms of the new coronavirus and have never had contact with patients, the city said in a statement.

People with special reasons to leave the city including those who need treatment for other medical conditions and those doing epidemic prevention work may also leave Wuhan, the statement said.

Departures must be staggered and people must apply for permission from local authorities before leaving.

Cars leaving the city must not carry more than two people, including the driver, at a time, the city said.

Once travellers have reached their destinations outside of Wuhan, they must report themselves to local authorities and monitor their health for 14 days, the city said.”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

from CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-coronavirus-china-wuhan-quarantine-12463980

“Non-residents may leave the central city of 11 million people if they show no symptoms of the new coronavirus and have never had contact with patients, the city said in a statement.

People with special reasons to leave the city including those who need treatment for other medical conditions and those doing epidemic prevention work may also leave Wuhan, the statement said.

Departures must be staggered and people must apply for permission from local authorities before leaving.

Cars leaving the city must not carry more than two people, including the driver, at a time, the city said.

Once travellers have reached their destinations outside of Wuhan, they must report themselves to local authorities and monitor their health for 14 days, the city said.”

That makes sense.  So people with long term health issues who weren’t getting treatment because of corona virus will be able to go to treatment elsewhere.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

This is interesting. Hopefully a positive sign and not an indication that the virus is not containable, and thus no point of a lockdown. 

I think there was some stories about cancer patients etc not being able to get treatment due to the hospitals being full.  It makes sense to get those with compromised immune systems away from the area and to a place they can get treatment if it can happen effectively.

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization (WHO) no longer has a process for declaring a pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international emergency, a spokesman said on Monday.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-who/who-says-no-longer-uses-pandemic-category-but-virus-still-emergency-idUSKCN20I0N8

So it’s a pandemic but we don’t call it a pandemic?

it might have been a good idea to put more emphasis on the change in nomenclature earlier?

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Cecropia said:

[...] it’s important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. [...]

What May Happen

More cases are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including in the United States. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time. Schools, childcare centers, workplaces, and other places for mass gatherings may experience more absenteeism. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and transportation industry may also be affected. Health care providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions would be the most important response strategy.

I didn’t click and read the whole thing (yet) because it’s 3:41am and I’m up scrolling because my cat is a jerk.  Even sleep deprived, that sounds like a shift from warning about potential forced closings to a feel of ‘do what you will’.  I could be reading too much into that.  Or not.

• Like 2