Menu

Best tampons for tweens?

MercyA

Title says it all. 🙂 Looking for beginner tampons to have at the ready. My DD is a swimmer and is keen to use them right away when the time comes, and I think it will be soon.

I personally loathe tampons and am not much help. I will say that I found the U by Kotex Click tampons recommended here to be not too bad for myself when absolutely needed. Just wondering if there are other excellent options out there.

• Like 1

I would get her a variety of small and regular size ones to try when she's ready. I couldn't get comfortable with them as a teen until I discovered ob, which people had discouraged me from at first... but they're shaped differently, ya know? Anyway, nowadays there are so many brands. Yes, I'd definitely do those Kotex U ones, but I'd also do a few more and let her try at least 3 or so really different brands and see what she likes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My one girlfriend (an OB-GYN RN) suggests along with slim tampons...KY jelly and a flashlight. And to practice first when you are NOT having your period bc it is less "messy" and stressful than trying to do it for the first time when you are dealing the period and any uncomfortable symptoms that are happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kotex U are the ones that seem the shortest to me. And the applicator is easy to use and plastic, so it slides in easily. She can also use a bit of lubricant if need be - my mom said she had to do that as a teen. 

I have a weird C shaped uterus (folded on itself due to adhesions most likely) that pulls my cervix all wonky and between that and 4 kids I can't use most tampons anymore without really irritating my cervix. they are too long and I can feel them in there. The Kotex U ones don't do that at all, and others who can't do tampons say the same. 

That said, i'd get her a couple to try, and see if you can find some that come  in a junior or light as well as regular. You may have to order online for the smaller ones, I hardly see them in stores these days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

My one girlfriend (an OB-GYN RN) suggests along with slim tampons...KY jelly and a flashlight. And to practice first when you are NOT having your period bc it is less "messy" and stressful than trying to do it for the first time when you are dealing the period and any uncomfortable symptoms that are happening.

Ouch! Maybe it is just me, but taking the tampon back OUT when I'm not on my period would be very painful. If there isn't enough flow it is too dry and grabs at the tissue as i pull it out. 

• Like 5

I don't remember what they were called but when my oldest dd started(she was 11 going on 12 if I remember right), there were tampons that were specifically marketed to teens. They were the perfect size for her at the time and the instructions were teen friendly (i.e. didn't look like a medical device instruction sheet). I want to say they were made by Always or maybe Tampax.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Ouch! Maybe it is just me, but taking the tampon back OUT when I'm not on my period would be very painful. If there isn't enough flow it is too dry and grabs at the tissue as i pull it out. 

If you coated it in KY, and removed it relatively soon after entry (as in for the newbie teen user, take a little walk, sit and stand, see what's comfy and what isn't - like trying on shoes), I'd be really surprised if there was an issue.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, unsinkable said:

NONE of this ever occurred to me.  This is really good advice.   I was blessed with a daughter who isn't shy about discussing her body with me, so there was no awkwardness to overcome.  

Would the op's daughter like one of those subscriptions geared towards teens?  I imagine they offer some variety at the beginning until you figure out what works best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I would assume that’s why the OB-GYN suggested using the K-Y jelly. It actually sounds like a good way to practice, and it never would have occurred to me to suggest it. 

Edited to add — Looks like Farrar already posted the same thing I did. I have to stop posting before I read all of the other replies first!  🙂

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

I’m not a huge fan to begin with, and I do want to reduce throw away plastic, but I still think plastic applicators make a big difference, particularly for beginners.  There are plenty of alternatives to try out as one goes along, but I’m thrilled to reach for one in a pinch many years down the road!

• Thanks 1

I don't know if they still do this but platex, tampax, etc used to send out small variety packages to young girls along with a booklet about their periods, etc.  Might be worth seeing if you could get several of those so that she can try a wide variety without you needing to buy bug boxes of several types.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I don't know if they still do this but platex, tampax, etc used to send out small variety packages to young girls along with a booklet about their periods, etc.  Might be worth seeing if you could get several of those so that she can try a wide variety without you needing to buy bug boxes of several types.

I remember those packages and this is a great idea. Unfortunately the Kotex site says, "Some of the rules about free samples have changed, which means we can't offer samples of our tampons for free anymore." It looks like sometimes they do offer pad samples, but not at the moment. It looks like the other major manufacturers don't offer samples at all anymore, boo.

ETA: Most of the sites do have printable coupons, though! 

Edited by MercyA

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Would that be true if it was coated with KY jelly though?  I am imaging "practice" to be inserting and then immediately removing it, so it might still be slippery.

ETA:  Ooops, sorry I didn't see that other people had the same thought.

Maybe? Would depend how much KY - most would be on the applicator, none on the tampon itself, so it would have to leave enough on the vaginal tissue when you withdraw the applicator..not sure if that would work. 

41 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I'm an OB loyalist, so we were clearly picturing different scenarios.  

Ha. Me too!

I mean, clearly the way to do this would be to use the lube for it's best purpose with some fingers first anyway, I guess. Then try the tampon. I've never had a huge dryness issue though, so there's that.