Menu

Get your turkeys out of the freezer!

MaBelle

Put the leaves in your table.  Find the good napkins and placemats!  Put up your Christmas tree so the kids/grandkids can decorate it.  Make up your guest bedrooms and put signs on the doors that say "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!" so your kids won't go in there and nap on them.  (Remember to take them down before the actual guests get there)  Drag out the highchair for the youngest.  Stock up on the wine for the oldies.  Check your pie supplies!!

I'm excited. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

I wasn't really all that fired up about Thanksgiving, despite the fact that my college kids will be home (though one lives close enough that we seem to have a Target run every 2 weeks or so). But this morning I was in the produce market and it was PACKED but everyone was in a good mood and talkative, friendly, helpful.  I stood in long lines, 3 times (it's set up with separate lines for vegetables, fruits, flowers, yeah weird but that's how they are set up), and it was still fabulous and so mood-lifting. One woman and I talked about how it's so much easier to be excited in a crowded store at Thanksgiving because the only pressure is - will they be out of green beans?  Will they have fresh sage?  

So I came home all excited. Turkey came out of the freezer yesterday; I'm going over my food list and making sure I have everything... may have to have someone run out for sour cream. 

• Like 3

I'm winding down from our Thanksgiving celebration. We hosted it on Sunday. It was wonderful. On actual Thanksgiving all we have to do is show up, enjoy the company, eat, and help clean up. Mil and her siblings never want the younger generation to help with food even when we ask.

I'm moving the turkey to the fridge tomorrow. It's just a breast and it's going in the slow cooker, so I think it'll be okay.

I am firmly no tree until after. My friend called me a grinch and tried to find where I hid the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's to be cracked open the day after Thanksgiving.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I moved the turkey to the fridge yesterday and went to the store and picked up all the last minute things. Oh my word, it was a complete zoo. I wish I had just bought pies there though. We normally buy them at a restaurant out on the coast who has the BEST pecan pies. Well, this year they decided to be experimental and they don't have regular pecan pie. They have no pumpkin and only  chocolate cream pecan pie and I'm like WTF is THAT?!? So now I have to find a new place for pies and it's probably too late. I was really hoping to not get out again, but looks like I am, because this is probably a bad time for to learn to make a pie, LOL! 

Three words for you: Edwards Pecan Pie.

In the freezer section. No baking, just set it out to thaw. I know it's sacrilege for a Southern girl to say, but it's seriously the best pecan pie ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I started my turkey thawing on Sunday - it’s over 20 pounds and stays frozen for DAYS otherwise 🤣

Me too. Tomorrow we switch to brine. 

Leaf - dh will do tonight, linens ready to go. Got the last food items, vanilla ice cream and some decaf coffee, today. Veggie chopping begins tomorrow am! Cornbread is cooked a drying out. More people than I have dishes for, so TG paper ones. 

NO Advent/Christmas in my house til Saturday!! My lovely beeswax advent candles came yesterday and I found the frame for our table wreath. Dd always make it so well. My Christmas dishes live in my kitchen cabinets, so they are a quick switch.

Edited by ScoutTN

3 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Three words for you: Edwards Pecan Pie.

In the freezer section. No baking, just set it out to thaw. I know it's sacrilege for a Southern girl to say, but it's seriously the best pecan pie ever. 

Haven’t had their pecan...good to know! Their Key Lime is truly the best as well. No need to make one bc it’s super yummy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I moved the turkey to the fridge yesterday and went to the store and picked up all the last minute things. Oh my word, it was a complete zoo. I wish I had just bought pies there though. We normally buy them at a restaurant out on the coast who has the BEST pecan pies. Well, this year they decided to be experimental and they don't have regular pecan pie. They have no pumpkin and only  chocolate cream pecan pie and I'm like WTF is THAT?!? So now I have to find a new place for pies and it's probably too late. I was really hoping to not get out again, but looks like I am, because this is probably a bad time for to learn to make a pie, LOL! 

Grab a can of pumpkin and either a can of sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk and a premed crust. Easy peasy. (just make sure you get the right recipe - the ones with evaporated milk will call for sugar, but the ones with the condensed milk will not)

• Like 1

My first pie is baked (apple w/cheddar crust) and my greens are washed and trimmed. My twice baked potatoes are oven-ready (I froze ‘em yesterday) and my herbed cornbread is drying. My birds are thawing and my remaining pie crusts are prepped. Tomorrow, I brine the birds and chop/prep the rest of the veggies. This is my personal super bowl!

• Like 1

I am heading 2 states away in the morning.  Today I made sweet potato pie (gf/df), brownies (gf/df), and chopped up 16 sweet potatoes for the candied "yams" I will assemble when I get there.  I'm also making greens. I bought a pecan pie to take as well.  We have transported this before, but not sure how the sweet potato pie is going to survive, but I sure hope it does!  It may be my last big Thanksgiving with extended family so I hope to soak it up.

We are going out to eat but then after seeing this thread, it occurred to me that I won’t have any turkey for sandwiches. So now I have some turkey thighs that I’m going to brine tomorrow and cook up on Turkey Day. So then I thought I better get the fixings and desserts and I got those, too, but they’re all premade. That counts in my book, though! Can’t wait to eat. I’m doing a pre-Turkey Day fast and everything is looking ridiculously good!

We’re making gingerbread houses with the grands tomorrow so I had to prep my Thanksgiving early. (Thankfully we’re doing gingerbread at their house!) 

Cranberry sauce made, cornbread for dressing made, pumpkin and French silk pies made, celery And onion chopped for dressing, Turkey thawing since Sunday. Table is set, centerpiece has been made, last minute shop for green beans has been done.  I’ve never been this ready before Thanksgiving. I guess that’s because in the past I was also working and/or homeschooling kids. 

thank you!!!  I had forgotten! We are having my family here this year so doing a major clean and decluttering today. hubby will have to take my turn at the shop tomorrow unless he wants to mop the floors and clean the oven. i gave him two tasks yesterday - windows and our bathroom, and James his bathroom and vacuuming.  For some reason it took them all day to vacuum and do four windows, and half the bathrooms.  *face palm*  It took one special trip to the store to get a bottle of vinegar, (which we already had in the cabinet)  a 6 pack of beer, and expert advice from the cashier in order for hubby to complete his mission.  Plus lots of praise for his shiny clean windows.  😁

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You can't go wrong with Edwards pecan pie!!

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What grocery chain?  Ours did not have it.

I ended up going to Cracker Barrel and buying pecan, chocolate pecan, apple, and pumpkin. They were also a zoo crowd wise, but their Christmas stuff was already 40% off so their plan of making me wait to get my order worked out well. I got the ladder climbing Santa I wanted last year but wouldn’t pay $100 for, LOL. I told ds8 if he could do the math on what 40% off was then I’d buy it. So now we have Santa. And pies. 😀

I see you found pies-but for future reference, I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart and Target have them. Also Fiesta if you live near one of those.

Turn on your self-cleaning oven feature early in the morning (Wednesday) or tonight (Tues) if you are still up.  WARNING: it will usually render your oven AND stovetop inoperable for up to six hours. (Mine is four hours)

Mine was done last week, and DH oiled the racks.  We keep them in while self-cleaning is on & wipe/rinse/oil to render them back to their easy-slide days.

50 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

My mother and brother arrive tomorrow.  I wouldn’t say we’re ready, but we’re as ready as we are going to get, since we’ll spend the morning at therapies.  

I have been put in charge of the vegetables.  Somehow, I decided to let the children choose which ones.  Which turns out to mean that we are starting the meal with parsnip vanilla white chocolate soup.  Thanksgiving dinner will either be really good or really “interesting”.

I love curried parsnip soup and parsnips in general.  That said have never mixed them with white chocolate,  I just googled recipes and it looks good.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What grocery chain?  Ours did not have it.

I ended up going to Cracker Barrel and buying pecan, chocolate pecan, apple, and pumpkin. They were also a zoo crowd wise, but their Christmas stuff was already 40% off so their plan of making me wait to get my order worked out well. I got the ladder climbing Santa I wanted last year but wouldn’t pay $100 for, LOL. I told ds8 if he could do the math on what 40% off was then I’d buy it. So now we have Santa. And pies. 😀

Well boo. Harris Teeter and Food Lion have them around here. Not sure about other chains.

But... I'm sure Cracker Barrel's will be delish! And bonus Santa FTW!