Menu

Garlic press recommendation needed

klmama

I've gone through several garlic presses in the past couple of years.  I want one that's all metal, so it can take the pressure and actually crush and press a clove of garlic.  I want it not to be painted, so paint doesn't start peeling off. I want it to be sturdy, so it doesn't break.  What should I buy?

I got my garlic press as a wedding gift almost 22 years ago. It's as good as new, still, and works very well. It's by Pampered Chef. You can find their garlic press on Amazon, but it's an improved design, so it's not exactly like mine. But it still has 4.5 stars and is all metal. You don't need to peel the cloves before using it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You know you can go to Trader Joes and get it already mashed up in little frozen cubes... 

Other than that, yeah the knife. But I kinda like the convenience of the cubes.

Not if you actually want real garlic flavour. Once you know what it tastes like, or can taste like, there's no going back. 😉

Edited by wintermom

29 minutes ago, wintermom said:

A large knife. 'Nuf said. Just chop and/or squish. Much easier to clean up afterwards. 

For any other garlic press, that's true, but for the Pampered Chef one, where you don't have to peel, the press is even faster and easier to clean up. And I say this as someone who almost always prefers a knife to gadgets. 

The key is that you don't have to peel. Just pop in the clove, squish, then remove peel to trash (I usually use the end of a knife). No garlicky fingers. The press is so easy to clean, it barely needs more than rinsing, but it does come with a handy tool for any clogged holes. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

For any other garlic press, that's true, but for the Pampered Chef one, where you don't have to peel, I the press is even faster and easier to clean up. And I say this,as someone who almost always prefers a knife to gadgets. 

The key is that you don't have to peel. Just pop in the clove, squish, then remove peel to trash (I usually use the end of a knife). No garlicky fingers. The press is so easy to clean, it barely needs more than rinsing, but it does come with a handy tool for any clogged holes. 

How do you separate the clove from the peeling? Doesn't it shred to bits, and then you're left with something like a raw egg with shell pieces inside?

Just now, wintermom said:

How do you separate the clove from the peeling? Doesn't it shred to bits, and then you're left with something like a raw egg with shell pieces inside?

Not at all. You don't have to do anything, not even trim the end of the clove. By some magic, it seems to press everything through the peel, but then the leftover peel is still one piece that easily pops out with the end of a knife and into the trash, then on to the next clove. So freaking easy.

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Not at all. You don't have to do anything, not even trim the end of the clove. By some magic, it seems to press everything through the peel, but then the leftover peel is still one piece that easily pops out with the end of a knife and into the trash, then on to the next clove. So freaking easy.

Does it cost a lot? Do you have to go to a Pampered Chef "party" or know someone who sells the stuff?

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Does it cost a lot? Do you have to go to a Pampered Chef "party" or know someone who sells the stuff?

I bought it at a party years ago, but I think nowadays you can just go to their website and buy anything any time. Hopefully they haven't changed their press since I bought it - have to say this is one of my favorite kitchen tools.  I think I bought one for dd21 last Christmas from the website.   Before I had this press, I did use the 'flatten with knife and mince' method, which is indeed easier than a regular press.  My old press sat in the drawer.  I never would have bought this except it was demo'd at the party, and I thought wait, no peeling??! Must try this. It was under $15, I think?

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I loved my Pampered Chef one.  It broke after several years, and I want another one.

I've had mine at least a decade - probably quite a bit longer,  since I'm pretty sure I've had it since my kids were little - and it's still going strong,  knock wood!!!

Now that I'm at the computer, found a link to the PC garlic press.  Looks like they haven't changed it much - it still says no peeling - the one thing I see different is that now there's a storage spot for the cleaning tool in the handle. (It's so easy to clean, I almost never need to use the cleaning tool).  It's $20 now, so the price went up a bit since I bought it, but some of the best money I've ever spent...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I've had mine at least a decade - probably quite a bit longer,  since I'm pretty sure I've had it since my kids were little - and it's still going strong,  knock wood!!!

Now that I'm at the computer, found a link to the PC garlic press.  Looks like they haven't changed it much - it still says no peeling - the one thing I see different is that now there's a storage spot for the cleaning tool in the handle. (It's so easy to clean, I almost never need to use the cleaning tool).  It's $20 now, so the price went up a bit since I bought it, but some of the best money I've ever spent...

Can it do fresh ginger, too, without peeling? If so, I'm all in!

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Can it do fresh ginger, too, without peeling? If so, I'm all in!

Nah.  Ginger can't be pressed, I don't think - too stringy.  I've been processing a ton of fresh ginger lately :wub:  and the easiest way I've found is to peel it (peeler or I've seen recommended with spoon, but I have an awesome peeler that is faster - that peeler is my other favorite kitchen tool and they stopped making it 😭 - so it'd better keep going!).  Anyway, after peeling a section, I used to chop or use my old box grater on the tiniest side (not shown here):

Tablecraft Products Company Tapered Grater Model: SG200

but I just bought one of those little flat graters that you can hold over a bowl - similar to this but not this brand - I picked mine up at Whole Foods on a total whim.

KitchenAid Flat Stainless Steel Grater, Red

that thing is the bees knees. Why did I not get one of those sooner???  The box grater is awkward to hold and I kept getting my knuckles involved...   it's also so much easier to clean than the box.  Finally I can process ginger fast.  Now I press all my garlic and use that to grate all my ginger, no matter what the recipe says to do...  for some reason this grater makes it less stringy as well.  I also use the new grater for citrus peels.

Edited by Matryoshka

Thanks, everyone.  I was in Walmart today for something else and bought one by Farberware that looked similar to the Oxo one.  I tried putting in whole cloves without peeling first, and it worked!  Here's hoping this one lasts more than 6 months....

I hope your new one will last for you! have one that lasted years. It came from grocery store. It’s all metal and had a plastic gizmo to push the opposite direction in holes to easily get the peel and residue back out.  Which is/was helpful but often not around when wanted -some way to keep press and cleaner gizmo together would be good.   It seems fine.  Don’t know brand.