Menu

nm

Chris in VA

If you're thinking that, you probably are past the point of needing a therapist. For me it was the circles in my head of worry, stress, and all that I couldn't turn off. At least, I couldn't turn it off for very long. 

Feeling defeated and overwhelmed with life.

Wondering lots of "What's the point?" or "I think I wasted my life doing x, y, and z." 

Discouragement was my daily partner. Getting going each day was a bear.

But some people are irrationally angry all the time. They know they're unnecessarily overly emotional, but just can't help it.

As for finding one:

1. Ask a few close friends if they know of someone.

2. Ask your primary care physician if they can recommend someone.

3. Call HR at your work. My dh's employer has an employee assistance program that helps with things like this. I didn't end up using it because I found someone else before they called me back.

• Like 2

I think if you are wondering, it is time to find a therapist. 
I'd ask my doctor for a recommendation. I'd see who is listed on my insurance plan. I'd ask friends or local homeschool group for their recommendations of the insurance list. I'd also check google reviews and things like that - because sometimes they are useful. 

Good luck finding a good match. 

I went for a bit when I was finally at a place that I was ready for change. My life is crazy. Not just a lil crazy.....lots crazy. I finally got to a point that I needed to hear someone say "your life really is crazy, you are not crazy" LOL I just needed to lay a few things out on the table and have someone impartial say "yep, lots of crazy here!" And the final bit, for me to say....here is what I plan to do about it and for the therapist to say "yep, that actually makes sense and isn't an uncommon solution in your position".  I just needed the validation.  A half dozen sessions and I was done.

For dd20, I had her go when I felt that she needed a safe place to vent some of her feelings of the above mentioned crazy! LOL She went weekly, and then bi-weekly for half a year or so. She was a teenager and in desperate need of a confidant who was not another teenager (or her mom). Just having someone to talk to and someone willing to ask the hard questions, was invaluable to my daughter (and my mama heart).  I loved that she was in a good place to get some solid advice from an adult. Her memories from that time include some very fond times she spent working with her therapist. 

My therapists were both recomended by other therapists. Mine, I found by asking a marriage councelor who she would go to for personal counceling.  My daughters, I found by asking my other daughter's behavior therapist, who she would recommend. 

• Like 2