Menu

"wholesome" family Vlogs/youtube channels?

ktgrok

My kids love That Youtube Family and such, and have tried to venture into some others that I rejected as the attitudes, etc were NOT okay. I've been just limiting youtube in general due to attitudes, etc but I realized today as my kids watched a "large family routines" youtube video and the kids were mesmerized  that maybe I can use this force for good, lol. Anyone know of a nice, wholesome, friendly, family friendly youtube channels my kids might enjoy? Bonus for Christianity thrown in 🙂

• Like 2

I don't watch very many family channels per se; most of the specific family channels bug me after a while with way too much sponsored/fake content.  Here are some that I like that otherwise fit your criteria.

This Gathered Nest  - huge family, just wrote a book about how her faith changed her life through international adoption.

Inspired by Nikki - former ballet dancer, lots of Christian, decor, cleaning, and home routine content. Her grandfather had a stroke and she takes care of him regularly now.  Puts a lot of effort into grace in almost everything she does.  Gets condescending when she's stressed. Her husband is a goofball and it took me a while to decide I liked him. If he says something annoying it's probably a joke, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Crystal Tara - New to me, in South Dakota, mentioned her faith briefly in a couple videos, mostly mom & home decorating content.

The Minimal Mom - They have 4 kids, live on a farm outside Minneapolis, encourage minimalism, every Sunday she does an episode with her twin sister who is a pastor about faith topics.

Jessica Braun - Catholic, former teacher, sometimes does family content, other times does beauty.  My kids LOVE her husband Tyler's boring travel videos.

The Daily Connoisseur - a little bit family, a lot style, grace, manners, homeschooling.  She started out Methodist but her Christian content is slowly getting more conservative.

Sarah Therese - crunchy Christian plant based mom who recently shaved her head to deal with post partum hair loss.  Sometimes I love her, other times she seems condescending.  Maybe just channel growth issues.

AtHomeWithNikki - This amazing woman inspires me to clean and organize everything.  I love her.  Her kids are grown.  She mentions faith occasionally.  Not family content, I just love her.

Jordan Page - Mormon, huge family & expecting twins, always has great unconventional mom content.  Started her channel to encourage herself to stick to a budget, now lives in her dream home.

Megan Fox Unlocked - Young family, two toddlers, she's Mennonite and so likeable even though I don't have much in common with her I love to watch her.  My kids like her too.  She's got that fresh faced positivity about her that most people get beat out of them before they turn 30.

Joy Forney - She's a missionary pilot's wife in Uganda.  She's mostly moved to instagram because maybe a year ago her husband was in a horrible accident and nearly died.  He's doing better.  She's lovely and is really good at putting my problems into perspective, encouraging me to spend less, and generally be a better person.  At the same time she's open enough that you know she's not perfect.  She struggles with her marriage and communication.  Her oldest just went to college in America, and part of the stress last year was the child they were fostering so she couldn't up and leave Uganda when her husband was life flighted back to the US for care. They adopted their daughter.  Her kids are rarely on but my kids like her too.  It's not that they ask for her, but when she pops up and starts talking they ALL get quiet.  They listen better than they do at church.  I don't know why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I don't know if this is quite what you are looking for, but...

DH found a channel called "Outdoor Boys."  Mostly, the channel is about camping, outdoorsy type stuff, with plenty of ax restoration thrown in.  BUT, the guy that does it also throws LOTS of fun family stuff in.  Like one video had him using a bunch of cardboard to build his kids a castle in their playroom.  Complete with multiple levels and such.   It's really cute and fun for me and the kids when he puts it on (in between all his stupid fishing videos.)

This reminds me of another channel.  Not what Katie requested exactly, but Mark Rober has a similar vibe.  It's using engineering to solve questions through lots of interesting projects and experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY1kMZp36IQSyNx_9h4mpCg

• Like 2

I'm appreciating this thread too.  My grandkids love watching YouTube videos and I'm not pleased with the ones the older grandson has gravitated toward.   I'm defiitely going to keep these in my back pocket for the next time I watch him.

I'm mostly keeping my 20mo grandson right now, so I can curtail the content much easier.

He enjoys dinosaurs.  So we watch a lot of T-Rex Ranch - (used to be ToyLabTV).  Yes, they do toy reviews, but not all the time.  Most of them are father/son pretending to be Dinosaur Ranchers.  

• 2 years later...

One I've enjoyed is "The Outsider".  Over the course of several years, he has built a log cabin in Canada on his grandfather's very large property using trees off the property.  His father has done a lot of work with him, and they've done exquisite workmanship. this cabin is really solid, and will be around for decades, probably longer.  There is learning about placing boulders he used as a foundation to get it off the ground (the base logs are bolted to the boulders), peeling logs, using wire mesh to keep the possums from eating the glue in plywood used for flooring . . . 😜   he purchased a portable sawmill so he mills his own lumbar  (re: for window frames, door frames, and the dormers).   new videos generally come out once a month.  and things like - how to get the track back on the snowcat . . . and the vagaries of weather

Just a warning - his father recently had a massive heart attack and died  - not on camera, but he talks about it.   He learned a lot from his dad and it was obvious they were close.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, Katy said:

This reminds me of another channel.  Not what Katie requested exactly, but Mark Rober has a similar vibe.  It's using engineering to solve questions through lots of interesting projects and experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY1kMZp36IQSyNx_9h4mpCg

Mark Rober is fabulous.   He does the glitter bombs.

He was also part of a group of youtubers who got involved in taking down scammers in India (where they are based - they wanted those running it.) helping to get the information to Indian authorities. 

Kids would love the "jello pool".  Or dropping a car on a trampoline (he did that with some youtubers from Australia).

2 hours ago, zach765 said:

My son and I started one! Its family friendly for all ages, sometimes his 3 year old sis tags along. 

ZOMBIE THREAD AND POTENTIAL SPAM ALERT!

Reported (even though this was a fun thread back in 2019.)

I quoted the spam post because people may not realize that the link is from a brand new member on a zombie thread. 

Edited by Catwoman
Added reason for quote
  • Like 1

Joseph Carter, the Mink Man.
he did a lot with animals and horses growing up.  And developed an interest in Mink when he was a teenager (after being told it was impossible to tame one.).  there's a lot of affection on both sides, and his mink will crawl all over him.  
he does pest control with his mink and gives them as natural of a life as possible in captivity.  He takes them out and they rat on ranches and feed lots - they go places nothing else can.  By picking off the rats one at a time - they ultimately get more because they don't just scatter.  He also has dogs that he uses to catch rats the mink have flushed out.  Rats do a lot of damage on farms.   He also uses them to get muskrats on irrigation ditches (they can collapse the ditches. he sells the pelts and feeds the meat to the mink - after it's been frozen for a minimum of six months to kill any parasites.).  and the city has brought him in to get the rest of the fish out of a "park water feature" (the city put fish in it for kids to "fish" - but when it was over, they had to get the rest.  the mink got them.)  he gives a lot of facts about working animals in his videos.

He had a type of lizard for awhile he wanted to use when the temperatures were too hot for the mink-  but it turned out to be a female and she's just too small for what he needed.  But he raised her for awhile (she ultimately went to a place very well equipped for lizards)- and great video of turning her lose on a mouse that got into their house.  She enjoyed her snack.

He now has three little girls (the oldest takes after him), and his wife also helps.