Menu

Large family pics -edited to add pic?

BlsdMama

Tips for matching without being matchy?

i am so bad at this. We have family pics this weekend - our original 13, plus DSIL, 2 grandbabies as the “small” picture (so 16.)

Then my mom and dad, my brother’s family -5, and my sister’s 5.  That’s 28 total. 

We were told to wear fall colors with jeans.

I'm thinking of coordinating around a burgundy flannel (predominantly cream w/ burgundy striping) with a tan vest? This way I’d be wearing three colors (denim/navy, tan, and burgundy but not dominant.) 

DH -Navy pullover? Tan pullover? Can I pull off charcoal gray if I put a navy/burgundy plaid under it for the collar or no? He has both navy and charcoal. (I HAVE to wear black or dark gray shoes.)

Two little girls have denim dresses - I’m considering using them? 

Help. Seriously, I’m bad at this. I’m going through closets today to see what I can use as I REALLY do NOT want to go out and buy  clothes for a dozen humans.

EDIT: Going through closet and found the two sets below. Thoughts? I’m nervous about the vest for me? I’m fairly small these days and this vest is bulky. 
edited to delete photo - thank you!

Edited by BlsdMama

We made a full family pic of my dh's family where nobody told anybody what to wear, and literally everybody was in the same shades of almost the same colors, lol. I have no clue how that happened. We had another pic done where the photographer said what to wear and the pics seemed a little stiff. It's nice if the outfits match the environment (white for beach, etc.).

12 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

We were told to wear fall colors with jeans.

Yeah, if that's what they told you, I'd just roll with it and not try too hard to match people. You'll be like leaves. :biggrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Yes - all that sounds great! Look on Pinterest, too, for visual inspiration. There are tons out there. 

The colors you listed sound perfect...but I'd even add in one more: mustard. It looks so good with the above and adds a little variety and brightness!

My granddaughter has this color and I am trying to think how to work it in. I think DD17 has a mustard and burgundy dress and I know she has a denim jacket. Then maybe with mustard leggings under the girls’ denim dresses? Hmmm? Too much?

• Like 2

The outfits look good.    Maybe vest could hang open for a bit of color if you want that.  Or just the cream shirt looks good to me too.

We have a very small nuclear non traveling for health reasons family and really love seeing big family pictures (friends or extended family) and don’t care at all about a coordinated look!

all the described options sound fine to me.  

Denim dresses, sure!  Navy, tan, grey, black—all fine.

(Fall where I am has lots of intense colors, yellow, orange, red, burgundy, brown and all shades of green of leaves and trees, bright green apples, purple grapes, all manner of greys, blues, and creams in sky and water, blacks in shadows...  actually it even has some pink in late blooming roses, but that seems un-autumn as a color.) 

Edited by Pen

I try to have any prints under solids.  I don't make prints stand out as I think they make the picture look too busy and detract from the faces.  But...I don't have girls and I may think differently about this if I did :biggrin:!

Really, your color theme sounds lovely for this time of year.  The more comfortable everyone is, the more relaxed they will be and the better the pictures turn out (usually).  That is what is most important!

• Like 1

We did a largish  family photo this summer—22 of us. We picked a colorway off of Pinterest and texted it around so that people had the same understanding of what colors we were talking about.

I love the colors you have chosen. I would think a bit about dark versus medium versus light/bright colors. You want to be, as a group, a good mix of all of that. The light/brights and darks will stick out the most in the photo. 

If you have a color like mustard in the group, you want it echoed with a few different people...leggings here, a cardigan there, on hair bows, etc.

We found it helpful to do a test photo just on someone’s phone of the people we could get together beforehand. It made it easier to color balance. We realized we had too much mid-tone going on. We switched dh to navy and dd to white to balance it out.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

Fall colours is a nice, broad range of colours. Here that would include: green, purple, red, pink, brown, black, yellow, orange, blue (sky), possibly even white (snow). And if you checked out enough gardens, it would probably include even more colours.

In other words, don't stress about it. The photographer can move people around so that colours don't obviously clash side-by-side.

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I like the burgandy vest and cream shirt! But really, if you're swimming in it due to body changes, at least go out and buy *yourself* an outfit. 

So I did - I had to buy an entire wardrobe of fall actually. It’s why I’m hesitant to go buy yet one more outfit. 😉 It’s bulky because it’s a thick vest.

It’s a woman’s small but I’ve lost a lot of weight and haven’t gotten used to that yet. I’ll snap a pic. 

Edited to delete images - thank you!!

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just another color to play with-   Burnt orange. 

This totally crossed my mind - but my oldest DD's dress is set in stone and it runs pinker.  I think it would end up too much.  I adore orange.  I look good in orange AND I have a fantastic sweater that's orange, but alas, not with the plum burgundy, do you think? 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We did a largish  family photo this summer—22 of us. We picked a colorway off of Pinterest and texted it around so that people had the same understanding of what colors we were talking about.

I love the colors you have chosen. I would think a bit about dark versus medium versus light/bright colors. You want to be, as a group, a good mix of all of that. The light/brights and darks will stick out the most in the photo. 

If you have a color like mustard in the group, you want it echoed with a few different people...leggings here, a cardigan there, on hair bows, etc.

We found it helpful to do a test photo just on someone’s phone of the people we could get together beforehand. It made it easier to color balance. We realized we had too much mid-tone going on. We switched dh to navy and dd to white to balance it out.

I think these are great suggestions.  This is not going to happen however.  I love how relaxed our family is (in a MAJOR way) but it also freaks me out on a huge scale when it comes to photos.  They aren't something we do a lot of on this side.  Then add in the knowledge that it's likely the last one I won't be in a wheelchair in (but the wheelchair gold, lol, a classic) and blah, blah, blah.

I cannot complain at all.  Mom & Dad are paying the photographer and we will get family photos out of it too - just our family (me, dh, and our kids) so I'm focusing on what is in my control instead of what is outside of it. 😉 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

This totally crossed my mind - but my oldest DD's dress is set in stone and it runs pinker.  I think it would end up too much.  I adore orange.  I look good in orange AND I have a fantastic sweater that's orange, but alas, not with the plum burgundy, do you think? 

If it is that dark slightly rusty orange or a orange, then I think it would look very good in the mix.   Neon orange no. 

Thank you all so much!

It's kind of crazy that I could find matching clothes for everyone except DS5 by going through our closets, lol.  But we're all pretty fair, so I'm drawn to similar colors I suppose.

I would snap a picture of the orange sweater vest, but it has disappeared.  My size is small enough now that DD17 seems to borrowing a lot of clothes lately! :P 

• Haha 2