Menu

How long does coffee last in the fridge?

Teaching3bears

You need to drink coffee after making it. It is not something you can store.  Worse yet, you did this with Instant Coffee and not with real Coffee.  We live in  a Coffee producing country (Colombia) and my wife grew up in a Coffee producing region.  We doubt that it would have Mold or Bacteria, but the taste/flavor would be missing. Make it and drink it, but don't store it. (They sell Instant Coffee here too...)

• Like 1

I make cold-brew coffee from Cafe Bustelo espresso style ground coffee every 3 days and use the concentrate for a few days. We add sweeteners to it and cream so it isn't used straight. It works great for this purpose......And I should make sure to point out, this is for a few days....not weeks.

I wouldn't do this with instant coffee tho. I would use or toss, not store it for future use.

Edited by Tap

Instant coffee I would risk a few hours if I put in the fridge during daytime or overnight if I put in the fridge before bed. 

For cold brew coffee, I don’t mind a few days old in the fridge but I won’t be comfortable if I open the container a couple of times a day to pour some out. 

The smell and taste isn’t great even if it’s still safe to drink. For iced coffee using instant coffee, I just add ice cubes and milk right after I made the instant coffee drink.

I dilute old coffee with water and feed my potted plants. They are a high source of nitrogen. That way, it is not wasted. I would definitely not trust 3 week old coffee, but, it seems that nowadays, they sell bottled coffee and canned coffee which makes me suspect that there is less chance of mold or other yucky stuff growing in it if it was sitting inside the fridge.

I'd trust it to be safe to drink for a week in the fridge...  After that, I'd toss it or feed it to my plants.

My brother is a scientist with a lab, and for one year, he watered his two identical plants with either leftover coffee or leftover tea.  (One plant always got coffee, one plant always got tea.)  Wow, the plant watered with leftover coffee thrived, and then some!  It was at least twice as big as the one watered with leftover tea.

Bottled and canned coffee has been, well, bottled. It's not the same as pouring coffee into a cup or jar, it's been deliberately stored in an anaerobic environment. It's the difference between a bowl of chopped tomatoes (shelf life - a few days) and a can of chopped tomatoes (shelf life- quite a while if unopened, then only a few days).