Menu

Please help me decide between two pairs of sneakers Updated in first post

stephanier.1765

I brought home two pairs of sneakers, one pair of Adidas and one pair of Roxy, because I couldn't decide in the store which would look better with various outfits. So at home I tried on each pair with shorts (athletic and dressier), skinny jeans, leggings, jeggings, capris, skirts and dresses. I thought the lower silhouette of the Roxys looked best overall but the when looking at models around the internet it seems the Adidas look is what is fashionable right now. Plus I'm pretty sure I had this exact same pair of Adidas sneakers while in high school. I'm also concerned that the Roxys will show more dirt.

So the problem is that I want the Adidas but, in my eye, the Roxy looked better. I certainly don't need two pair of white sneakers (or do I?) so please help me choose.

Update: So I chose the Roxy because they really did look cuter across the board but also because I get the better deal on them. I figured if I still wanted the Adidas later I could add them to my Christmas list. So I wore them for the first day of my trip and wouldn't you know that a lady dropped a huge latte right on top of my brand new white sneakers. The Adidas could simply have been wiped off but not so for the Roxy.  🤬 Luckily I had a pair of flip flops in my carry on that I could change into and had time before my flight to go to the restroom and wash my shoes in the sink. I could only shake my head at my own naivete for choosing fabric white shoes to wear while traveling. 

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Sad 1

The Roxys are cute but I have have had that style before and they are pretty flat on the bottom.  If you need any support in your shoes, ditch the Roxys. They also get dirty pretty fast, so I generally get about 1 maybe 2 seasons out of them before I have to toss them. I live in the PNW where there is lots of rain so they get little splash marks.  I have a pair of Steve Maddens in this style and when I wore them in Vegas recently, they were filthy from the dust. But....dust vacuums out easiser than splatter marks. They are super light weight and cool on the feet. 

The Adidas have been popular the past 6 years or so. (When dd bought hers in high school) They aren't reaelly trending in our area any more, but are still in style. They are leather and are easy to clean. They have a bit more support and structure. If you plan to do any walking in them, I would pick the Adidas. 

• Like 2

What is your purpose when wearing the sneakers?

If purely fashion, get the ones you think are the cutest.

If for exercise, then the pair that is best suited for your feet.

My sneakers aren’t fashionable.  Unfortunately, all the cute ones (at this particular store) weren’t right for my feet, so I have boring, expensive, but good a fit sneakers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tap said:

The Roxys are cute but I have have had that style before and they are pretty flat on the bottom.  If you need any support in your shoes, ditch the Roxys. They also get dirty pretty fast, so I generally get about 1 maybe 2 seasons out of them before I have to toss them. I live in the PNW where there is lots of rain so they get little splash marks.  I have a pair of Steve Maddens in this style and when I wore them in Vegas recently, they were filthy from the dust. But....dust vacuums out easiser than splatter marks. They are super light weight and cool on the feet. 

The Adidas have been popular the past 6 years or so. (When dd bought hers in high school) They aren't reaelly trending in our area any more, but are still in style. They are leather and are easy to clean. They have a bit more support and structure. If you plan to do any walking in them, I would pick the Adidas. 

You're right about the Roxy being flat on the bottom. They feel thin too. But I love how they fit like a glove. The dirt though does weigh on my mind. The Adidas would be so much easier to clean.

4 minutes ago, school17777 said:

What is your purpose when wearing the sneakers?

If purely fashion, get the ones you think are the cutest.

If for exercise, then the pair that is best suited for your feet.

My sneakers aren’t fashionable.  Unfortunately, all the cute ones (at this particular store) weren’t right for my feet, so I have boring, expensive, but good a fit sneakers.

Mainly I am looking for a pair that will go with as many clothes as possible when I travel and be comfortable walking through large airports. I'm trying to lighten my carry on luggage by carrying no other shoes or maybe only a pair of sandals.

11 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Mainly I am looking for a pair that will go with as many clothes as possible when I travel and be comfortable walking through large airports. I'm trying to lighten my carry on luggage by carrying no other shoes or maybe only a pair of sandals.

I wear my Keens for this purpose, this time of year, rather than sneakers.

• Like 1

Just now, school17777 said:

I wear my Keens for this purpose, this time of year, rather than sneakers.

I like to wear socks when going through security otherwise I would. I just hate the idea of my bare feet on that floor with all the other bare feet.😲 I usually slip my socks off afterwards though because I don't normally wear them but I do like to have them on up to that point.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I like to wear socks when going through security otherwise I would. I just hate the idea of my bare feet on that floor with all the other bare feet.😲 I usually slip my socks off afterwards though because I don't normally wear them but I do like to have them on up to that point.

I bring slipper socks to put on

• Like 1

Just now, hippiemamato3 said:

I'd keep both and change them up!

I like the way you think! I really want to do this but my mind keeps telling me it's a waste of money. I keep going back and forth between each pair and back and forth between keeping them both or not.

1 minute ago, school17777 said:

I bring slipper socks to put on

Smart!

1 minute ago, Pen said:

You mean we should try to sell her on Altra Escalantes? 😃

Well mine are in purple and tiffany blue, so yeah... :biggrin: 

My friend wears zero drop shoes exclusively and has so many cute styles. I just figured if she started googling she'd find something.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Adidas will probably be more supportive/ comfortable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I like the way you think! I really want to do this but my mind keeps telling me it's a waste of money. I keep going back and forth between each pair and back and forth between keeping them both or not.

Smart!

The pairs would last twice as long if you alternated them, so in the long run it wouldn't be more expensive!

• Like 1

I have spilled coffee on my clothes and shoes multiple times. Wet wipes (those provided for shopping carts) works well for damage control and then I wash them when I reach home or hotel. Wet wipes dry faster than water for me and it’s easier for me to use for spot cleaning. My shoes are mainly chocolate brown or black so dirt aren’t obvious.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 7:40 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

Update: So I chose the Roxy because they really did look cuter across the board but also because I get the better deal on them. I figured if I still wanted the Adidas later I could add them to my Christmas list. So I wore them for the first day of my trip and wouldn't you know that a lady dropped a huge latte right on top of my brand new white sneakers. The Adidas could simply have been wiped off but not so for the Roxy.  🤬 Luckily I had a pair of flip flops in my carry on that I could change into and had time before my flight to go to the restroom and wash my shoes in the sink. I could only shake my head at my own naivete for choosing fabric white shoes to wear while traveling. 

Glad you could wash them and had the flip flops.

Are the Roxy pair comfortable with travel walking?

On August 11, 2019 at 10:40 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

a lady dropped a huge latte right on top of my brand new white sneakers.

Did she offer to pay for them? If you buy them again, maybe spray them with fabric protectant. Shoe stores sell it.                                             Scotchgard Fabric & Upholstery Protector, 14-Ounces                                      

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have spilled coffee on my clothes and shoes multiple times. Wet wipes (those provided for shopping carts) works well for damage control and then I wash them when I reach home or hotel. Wet wipes dry faster than water for me and it’s easier for me to use for spot cleaning. My shoes are mainly chocolate brown or black so dirt aren’t obvious.

That is really good to know! I had one of those Clorox travel spot remover things but the job felt much too big for that. Wipes on the other hand, would have been perfect

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

I know you already chose the Roxy but if you end up getting the adidas down the road, they hold up REALLY well and are super comfortable. 

That is good to know because I do still want them.

7 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Once nice and clean again, I highly recommend spraying them with Never Wet by rust-oleum or fabric guard by 303.  Both are great stuff.

I am absolutely doing that the first chance I get.

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Glad you could wash them and had the flip flops.

Are the Roxy pair comfortable with travel walking?

I had to do a lot of airport walking that first day and the floor was starting to feel pretty hard by the end of the day. I would probably not wear them for tourist type walking except I'm going to do just that next weekend when we go to Boston for the day. I either have to wear those or the flip flops and I'm worried the flip flops will wear my calves out.

17 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Did she offer to pay for them? If you buy them again, maybe spray them with fabric protectant. Shoe stores sell it.                                             Scotchgard Fabric & Upholstery Protector, 14-Ounces                                      

No she did not. She wasn't overly concerned about it either. She did offer a passing apology and if I wasn't so annoyed I'd cut her a break and realize she was most likely embarrassed by the whole thing. However I just wore my shoes again for the first time since then and the insole won't stay in place now. I must have got them too wet so I'm still annoyed.