Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW32: Whodunit Bookology - Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week thirty-two in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Our August Whodunit Bookology detective is French police detective Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg. We are introduced our detective of the month in The Chalk Circle Man, the first book in a nine book series. He has recently been promoted to Commissaire in the 5th arrondissement in Paris and is unorthodox when it comes to solving crimes.

The character was created by Fred Vargas aka Frédérique Audoin-Rouzeau. Ms. Vargas,  born June 7, 1957,  is a French historian and archaeologist as well as a writer. Her studies of the black death and the bubonic plague is considered definitive in research studies completed on the subject which resulted in Les chemins de la peste : Le rat la puce et l'homme (Pest Roads), published in 2003. 

There are a number of ways to complete the bookology challenge, including but not limited, to the suggestions below:

• Read the first book in the series.
  • Read one book per letter in the character's first or last name.
  • Read one book per letter in the author's first or last name.
  • If you're really ambitious, one book per letter in the character's first and last name.
  • Follow in a character's footsteps and read a book set in the country or time period of the character.

Be sure to check out Vargas's other series The Three Evangelists as well. 

Link to week thirty one

• Like 5

Currently reading our author of the month and enjoying The Chalk Circle Man.   James and I have a couple more chapters to go in Ted Bell's Nick of Time.  Just found out there is a sequel so methinks the ending is a cliff hanger.  Also reading Jayne Ann Krentz's Promise Not to Tell.   

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

Last night I stayed up late finishing a very enjoyable contemporary romance. (Some adult content)

Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg Book 1) by Olivia Dade

"Their lesson plans didn't include love. But that's about to change...

When Martin Krause arrives at Rose Owens's high school, she's determined to remain chilly with her new colleague. Unfriendly? Maybe. Understandable? Yes, since a loathsome administrator gave Rose's beloved world history classes to Martin, knowing it would hurt her.

But keeping her distance from a man as warm and kind as Martin will prove challenging, even for a stubborn, guarded ice queen. Especially when she begins to see him for what he truly is: a man who's never been taught his own value. Martin could use a good teacher--and luckily, Rose is the best.

Rose has her own lessons--about trust, about vulnerability, about her past--to learn. And over the course of a single school year, the two of them will find out just how hot it can get when an ice queen melts."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

Read All My Books?
Karen Olsson on the Ghosts on Her Shelves

https://lithub.com/why-dont-i-read-all-my-books/

From the Word Wenches: What We're Reading — July 2019

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2019/07/what-were-reading-july-2019.html#comment-6a00d8341c84c753ef0240a471fe69200c

Jo Walton’s Reading List: July 2019

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/02/jo-waltons-reading-list-july-2019/#comment-819726

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Robin,  Thanks for another great “new to me” detective.  I am not sure which book I am going to read in the series yet.....a later one is available on Overdrive and some earlier ones are in paper at the library.  What a dilemma! 😂  I managed to complete a few of the letters in that very long detective name last week so will hopefully manage all of Jean Baptiste Adamsberg.  

I am currently reading my way through the last book, Tiamat’s Wrath, in the Leviathan Wakes series and enjoying it greatly.  I have a huge virtual stack of other books so will hopefully manage several this week for the spelling challenge. I always hate to see them go unread.  For audio I am giving Department Q and The Absent One another try.  I would love to be able to finish it without rereading the start because I know I want to read the read of the series.

• Like 6

In the past week or so, I've been reading mainly graphic books. I've had a hard time focusing on much, so it worked out perfectly, even though none of them were amazing or anything. 

I read The I Wonder Bookstore - 2 Stars - The illustrations are lighthearted and adorable, but the book itself didn’t do much for me.

Third Watch - 2 Stars - This is a short story, sort of like a prequel to the Tracy Crosswhite series. It was okay, but not amazing or anything. I’m not sure if I will go ahead with the series or not. The older I get, the less I feel like committing to book series, especially the ones that are never-ending, where the author keeps coming out with never-ending new ones. 

My favorite quote:

“If today is your worst day, then tomorrow is going to be a little better, right? And the day after that will also be a little better. Each day will get a little better … So right now, all you have to do is get through today. That’s not too hard, right? Just get through today. You can get through today, right?”

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story - 3 Stars - Many are familiar with the author’s lovely illustrations. I enjoyed this book at first, but I then felt that the whole introvert thing was being overdone and it started to get a bit repetitive. My Good Reads review with a sample page

The Joy of Swimming: A Celebration of our Love for Getting in the Water - 3 Stars - I’ve loved swimming all my life. Any time I see water, whether in a pool or an ocean, I want to jump right in. Water is where I’m happiest. Here’s one of my favorite pools that we recently visited when we were in Ronda, Spain. It was on the top floor of our hotel with the most incredible view all around and that right there is the oldest bullfighting ring in Spain.

7ce7929324576aa4c936b520ea78ee40.jpg

The art in this book is lovely with pretty watercolor illustrations. Reading about public pools in different parts of the world was fascinating.

In Iceland, you must remove your shoes as soon as you enter the complex. Showers and soap are mandatory before putting your swimsuit on. Few people swim laps. Pools are more for hanging out, for dates, and even for business meetings.

Swimming in Paris sounds like quite an experience. Pool hours are limited, and lanes are very crowded. One swimmer said that she once had to share a lane with 19 other people!

In Japan, everyone has to wear a swimming cap, even those who are bald! All tattoos must be covered and jewelry is forbidden.

Even though I am blessed to live right by a gorgeous ocean, and even though we have a pool, in the past several years I’ve gotten so caught up with life and have found a million reasons to not go swimming. I got this book to inspire me to start swimming again and to do so more regularly. It’s working! I’m now swimming far more often and loving it. I must have been crazy to not go for so long. Here's a link to my Good Reads review, along with more photos. 

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Star Wars Little Golden Book - 1 Star - I should probably be more generous, but I didn’t care for the art at all, and this one is not nearly as good as the others in the series.

9781452176512.jpg   51s4Gm0t6cL.jpg   9781449486068.jpg   9781452144139.jpg   9780736436564.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 5

It's been several weeks since I checked in. 

I went to bed last night thinking the scratchy throat I had all day yesterday was just from my usual seasonal allergies. This morning when I woke up I realized I have a full blown cold. I rarely get sick and even more rarely get the dreaded summer cold. I haven't felt like doing anything all day, which means I've done a good bit of reading. 

During Prime Day Amazon had a deal for a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited. I've looked at the books before and never found anything worth the monthly fee but figured I'd take the 3 free months. I still don't see much there, or what I do see that I would want is also available in Kindle from my library. I did find Penny Marshall's memoir My Mother Was Nuts. It's one of those that allows you to switch back and forth between audio and Kindle version but I've been mostly listening because Marshall herself narrated it. There are a few times when she's talking about the death of someone close to her that she actually chokes up in the reading. There's not really anything shocking - she seems have been the person she appeared to be in public. It's interesting but not a memoir to rave about.

I'm about halfway through Courtney Milan's historical romance, The Duchess War. I enjoyed the prequel novella but this is just okay. It's good bedtime easy reading so I'l finish it but probably won't read any more of the series. 

I'm also still reading River of Grass, Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500 Year History, and The Sound and the Fury. All three require mental energy, which my cold has sapped along with my physical energy, so I probably will put them aside until I feel better.

Since I missed a few weeks I don't know if this was mentioned, but Andrea Camilleri, the creator of Detective Montalbano, passed away a few weeks ago at age 93. He didn't begin writing his detective series until he was 70 yet it's one of the most popular series around the world and has been translated into at least 30 languages. I've only read eight of them so I have plenty to keep me reading for a while but it will be sad when I finally reach the end, knowing there will be no more of Salvo Montalbano. 
https://www.fredericknewspost.com/public/ap/camilleri-author-of-montalbano-detective-series-dies-at/article_1b028bb2-a37f-5915-8436-f02efd2d7fc0.html

• Like 5

@Negin  Beautiful picture.......I frequently hang out at the beach with my kids but rarely go in.  I should probably start swimming too......I do go on fairly long walks while wading in a foot or so of water while they swim so I am not idle.

@Lady Florida. I hadn’t heard about Camilleri.  I listened to and enjoyed an Inspector Montalbano a few years ago.  It’s one of the series that eventually I want to finish also.

• Like 5

Two of my recent reads have been inspired by my tv viewing. 

Bill and I started watching Black Sails on Hulu after my brother and SIL told us about it - I think it was originally on Starz or Showtime. It's a prequel to Treasure Island but don't let that fool you. It's not at all kid friendly. The show includes both historical and fictional pirates and we just started the fourth and final season. From what I understand the show ends where the book begins. I can see things starting to wrap up as the historical pirates meet their historical fates (though not always accurately) and the fictional pirates are being positioned for the start of the book. And...I had never read the book and only marginally knew the story. So I finally read Treasure Island and though I didn't love it I'm glad I read it. If nothing else it will give me perspective as we finish the series.

I also watched an American Experience documentary on the Everglades called The Swamp. As with any good documentary on the Everglades, Marjorie Stoneman Douglas is featured prominently. Watching this inspired me to finally read River of Grass. I feel like a Very Bad Floridian for having never read it. I'm loving her descriptions of the area as well as her obvious respect for the indigenous people of South Florida.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

I just finished   My Boyfriend is a Bear  by Pamela Ribon; it was definitely unique but certainly not for children.

"Bear meets girl.

Nora has bad luck with men. When she meets an (actual) bear on a hike in the Los Angeles hills, he turns out to be the best romantic partner she's ever had! He's considerate, he's sweet, he takes care of her. But he's a bear, and winning over her friends and family is difficult. Not to mention he has to hibernate all winter. Can true love conquer all?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last week I finished Under the Banner of Heaven:A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer. I think I'm finally burned out on the subject of polygamy, ha ha. This was ok but I felt that the author didn't really tie everything together - it felt a bit jumbled. 

Right now I am trying to find my next read and am having a hard time getting interested enough in a book to actually finish it. 

Love the pic @Negin!

• Like 5

I finished Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows this week and immediately started the second in the duology, Crooked Kingdom. Very fun and enjoyable. I also have Stephanie Land's Maid from the library about how hard it is to get by as a single mom with low-paying jobs. Not as enjoyable a topic, so I haven't made it far in that one yet but will when Crooked Kingdom is done.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 8

Still working on Code of Valor by Eason. Reading time has been drastically reduced with new work schedule.

I am listening to the "Miss Julia" series and it's exactly what the doctor ordered. (Thanks again @mumto2) If you see a woman driving down the street, laughing hysterically in her car, it's probably me.

I am waiting on "The Killing Tide" by Pettrey to become available on my Overdrive for reading.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 6

Missed another week -- will catch up -- and meanwhile read two more books in my new 10x10 category, Symbolists, Decadents, and Surrealists:

51. The Symbolist Movement in Literature by Arthur Symons (who wrote The Art of Aubrey Beardsley, which I read/examined last week), and

52. Oscar Wilde's certainly most Decadent work, Salomé (the famous drawings for which play were by Beardsley, above). In Wilde's Salomé, the title character has Jokanaan (John the Baptist) beheaded not because Herodias wants him dead, but because that's the only way she can manage to kiss him. 

Salomé, having an extremely Decadent prose moment: 

Thy hair is horrible. It is covered with mire and dust. It is like a crown of thorns which they have placed on thy forehead. It is like a knot of black serpents writhing round thy neck. I love not thy hair.... It is thy mouth that I desire, Jokanaan. Thy mouth is like a band of scarlet on a tower of ivory. It is like a pomegranate cut with a knife of ivory. The pomegranate-flowers that blossom in the gardens of Tyre, and are redder than roses, are not so red. The red blasts of trumpets that herald the approach of kings, and make afraid the enemy, are not so red. Thy mouth is redder than the feet of those who tread the wine in the wine-press. Thy mouth is redder than the feet of the doves who haunt the temples and are fed by the priests. It is redder than the feet of him who cometh from a forest where he hath slain a lion, and seen gilded tigers. Thy mouth is like a branch of coral that fishers have found in the twilight of the sea, the coral that they keep for the kings!... It is like the vermilion that the Moabites find in the mines of Moab, the vermilion that the kings take from them. It is like the bow of the King of the Persians, that is painted with vermilion, and is tipped with coral. There is nothing in the world so red as thy mouth.... Let me kiss thy mouth.

Followed by one of the most hilarious moments of the 19th-century English stage:

JOKANAAN: Never! daughter of Babylon! Daughter of Sodom! Never.

SALOMÉ: I will kiss thy mouth, Jokanaan. I will kiss thy mouth.

THE YOUNG SYRIAN: Princess, Princess, thou who art like a garden of myrrh, thou who art the dove of all doves, look not at this man, look not at him! Do not speak such words to him. I cannot suffer them.... Princess, Princess, do not speak these things.

SALOMÉ: I will kiss thy mouth, Jokanaan.

THE YOUNG SYRIAN: Ah! [He kills himself and falls between Salomé and Jokanaan.]

I saw Salomé performed once, and steeled myself to keep a straight face at this scene, but failed. Human nature can only take so much.

So that's 52 books, if somewhat past the 26-week mark I'd hoped to achieve it at. Currently reading L. P. Hartley's 1953 novel The Go-Between, for the Little Oval on the Spine (aka Published by NYRB) category.

Edited by Violet Crown
grammar failure
  • Like 7

I’m trying to download an audiobook  of the Chalk Circle Man 

I got back on my library membership and so have Hoopla and Overdrive, Library2Go back

Meanwhile, I am rereading (now as audio)  Bitten     

Finished Another Rabbi Small book

snd am listening to When the Body Says No: Understanding the Stress-Disease Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470923350/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DK3rDbPPAMAEG

And working my way through Organized for Life!: Your Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide For Getting You Organized So You Stay Organized https://www.amazon.com/dp/0989515400/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PL3rDb1PNKVDZ

plus books about teaching one’s teen to drive, but less now that Ds started his driver ed class

• Like 8

10 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@Negin  Beautiful picture.......I frequently hang out at the beach with my kids but rarely go in.  I should probably start swimming too......I do go on fairly long walks while wading in a foot or so of water while they swim so I am not idle.

I hope that you feel motivated to swim! Walking in the water is fun and good also!

• Like 4

I just finished Tiamat’s Wrath https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28335698-tiamat-s-wrath which is the end of The Expanse series for now.  Loved it......very satisfied with the “ending” at this point.  I will probably go back and read the Butcher of Anderson Station before watching the show.  I know @JennW in SoCal is reading the series and I think someone else is too.....if you have the chance to read the Strange Dogs novella before getting to Tiamat's Wrath it was worthwhile but certainly not mandatory.

• Like 7

Toni Morrison has passed away. She was 88. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/06/toni-morrison-author-and-pulitzer-winner-dies-aged-88

She's one of my favorite authors. I haven't read all of her work and I haven't loved everything I read (Milkman comes to mind as one I didn't care for), but I absolutely love her prose.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:47 AM, Negin said:

Kindle book on sale today. Not the greatest of sales - let's just say that it's discounted. 

9780345416605.jpg

Well, it's $3 off. After our Dave Barry discussion a few weeks ago I looked for my well worn hardback copy of this book and it's nowhere to be found. I think I might have loaned it out years ago and it never came back. I decided to spring for the Kindle book, and paid $7.99 for it. 

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

A lovely article:  Crossing Divides: Why I read aloud to strangers by Theopi Skarlatos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48725722

Para Recommends: Experimental Literary Fantasy

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/chrgj5/para_recommends_experimental_literary_fantasy/

50 MUST-READ FANTASY BOOKS BY WOMEN

https://bookriot.com/2019/07/25/fantasy-books-by-women/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Swords and Spaceships - 73019&utm_term=BookRiot_SwordsAndSpaceships_DormantSuppress

Romance and more:  #100DaysOfGreatBooks

http://www.readaromancemonth.com/category/100daysofgreatbooks/

7 Unlikeliest Friendships in Literature

https://electricliterature.com/7-unlikeliest-friendships-in-literature/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finished an enjoyable book last night. I think that others here might enjoy it; it has a touch of magic. I will happily read more by the author.

"New York Times bestselling author Karen Hawkins crafts an unforgettable story about a sleepy Southern town, two fiercely independent women, and a truly magical friendship.

Sarah Dove is no ordinary bookworm. To her, books have always been more than just objects: they live, they breathe, and sometimes they even speak. When Sarah grows up to become the librarian in her quaint Southern town of Dove Pond, her gift helps place every book in the hands of the perfect reader. Recently, however, the books have been whispering about something out of the ordinary: the arrival of a displaced city girl named Grace Wheeler.

If the books are right, Grace could be the savior that Dove Pond desperately needs. The problem is, Grace wants little to do with the town or its quirky residents—Sarah chief among them. It takes a bit of urging, and the help of an especially wise book, but Grace ultimately embraces the challenge to rescue her charmed new community. In her quest, she discovers the tantalizing promise of new love, the deep strength that comes from having a true friend, and the power of finding just the right book."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I decided to try "Queen Bees and Wannabees" again.  It didn't go over well the first time, but then we were in the midst of school drama.  Maybe it will be more palateable in the summer.  So far I am not sure what I am learning.  I mean I'm supposed to label my kid based on what her role is in clique hierarchy.  How am I supposed to know that?  I don't see all of what goes on, particularly the mean and catty stuff (or much of it).  But what I do see is girls (and boys) having a good time together, which doesn't seem to fit anywhere ??  But maybe I haven't read far enough.

We are about a third done with the Resistance audiobook (fiction re the holocaust, not political...).  My kids find it interesting - there is some good suspense - but it is also kind of dark.  One of my kids claims to like dark, but fantasy dark ... when it's about real life, not so much.

Still not done with the Spy School - Secret Service read-aloud (it's been some months now).

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I finished an enjoyable book last night. I think that others here might enjoy it; it has a touch of magic. I will happily read more by the author.

"New York Times bestselling author Karen Hawkins crafts an unforgettable story about a sleepy Southern town, two fiercely independent women, and a truly magical friendship.

Sarah Dove is no ordinary bookworm. To her, books have always been more than just objects: they live, they breathe, and sometimes they even speak. When Sarah grows up to become the librarian in her quaint Southern town of Dove Pond, her gift helps place every book in the hands of the perfect reader. Recently, however, the books have been whispering about something out of the ordinary: the arrival of a displaced city girl named Grace Wheeler.

If the books are right, Grace could be the savior that Dove Pond desperately needs. The problem is, Grace wants little to do with the town or its quirky residents—Sarah chief among them. It takes a bit of urging, and the help of an especially wise book, but Grace ultimately embraces the challenge to rescue her charmed new community. In her quest, she discovers the tantalizing promise of new love, the deep strength that comes from having a true friend, and the power of finding just the right book."

Regards,

Kareni

I actually have this book in the Overdrive stack right now, I think it is due soon.  I was prepared to let it slip by unread but now will attempt to give it a try!

Currently reading the latest in the Kate Burkeholder series, Shamed, and loving it.  I will be as close to a read in one sitting as I am capable of!  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Regarding The Book Charmer by Karen Hawkins:

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Regards,

Kareni

I just checked the return and I have a few days to fit The Book Charmer in!

I just finished Shamed https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41150434-shamed and enjoyed it.  A few months ago @Junie and I had a bit of a conversation with recommendations by me regarding my reading of books set in Amish communities.  I know I recommended Linda Castillo’s series about Kate Burkeholder but believe I recommended reading in order and Julie had very few availiable.....the latest Shamed could be read as a stand alone without missing much.......lots of reoccurring characters but no important happenings with these characters if that makes sense.  I think there is enough background to find the book enjoyable.  I also read a novella in the same series called In Plain Sight earlier this week......I am totally fascinated by mention of a museum that houses the wardrobes of the different types of Amish, Mennonites.........I would love to go and compare.

@Violet Crown I thought of Wee Girl today.......Dd is currently working her way through two sleeves of Jaffa Cakes with her long term JC eating buddy.  Both looked at the plastic wrapped sleeves I set out and announced I had bought the originals because the first cookie in the sleeve is packaged upside down, chocolate touching.  Apparently I can’t slip counterfeit Jaffa Cakes by them anymore!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mumto2 said:

@Violet Crown I thought of Wee Girl today.......Dd is currently working her way through two sleeves of Jaffa Cakes with her long term JC eating buddy.  Both looked at the plastic wrapped sleeves I set out and announced I had bought the originals because the first cookie in the sleeve is packaged upside down, chocolate touching.  Apparently I can’t slip counterfeit Jaffa Cakes by them anymore!

Mmmm ... This is her first summer in many years with no Jaffa cakes. I'll remember to check for the chocolate-tucked-in kind!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

And now I'm drooling for a Jaffa cake!

@mumto2, I thought of you earlier today when I read this column. A book that we both read is featured.

Kissing Books: Assertive Contact  by Olivia Waite

Regards,

Kareni

I loved that book!  For those who don’t know which book we both read it’s Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly......rather unusual subject is featured.

7 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I'm taking a break and rereading Dark Queen by Faith Hunter in preparation for Shattered Bonds.

A reread of Jane Yellowrock is probably needed by this reader too.  Maybe.........definitely plan to do this for the next Soulwood.  I just looked at the release date( end of October ) and will think about it........😉😂.  Maybe I should start now and I would be done before the next Soulwood! 🤣

I am loving the Innkeeper books (four with the new one) by Ilona Andrews that I am currently rereading and am finally done with Patricia Briggs.  I was thinking about rereading the Hidden Legacy books next and Sapphire Flames makes four in that series too!

• Like 3

I have spent most of my morning off on rabbit trails instead of reading.  Somehow ran into this http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/annexe/2014/11/26/favourite-character-from-a-scottish-book/ which is interesting......Scottish Sci Fi for either 10 category.  I even found the book on my Overdrive.  Now I just need to read as opposed to putting more books on hold etc.....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have spent most of my morning off on rabbit trails instead of reading.  Somehow ran into this http://libraryblogs.is.ed.ac.uk/annexe/2014/11/26/favourite-character-from-a-scottish-book/ which is interesting......Scottish Sci Fi for either 10 category.  I even found the book on my Overdrive.  Now I just need to read as opposed to putting more books on hold etc.....

We have a copy of Voyage to Arcturus from our last trip. Tell me when you start reading it and I will too.

• Like 3

I think someone here will know if part of The 39 Steps by John Buchanan is actually set in Scotland.......google is failing me.😞  It’s a book that I have planned to read this year.

I have been busy looking at my 10x10 categories, removing overlap, and trying to make them look like my ideal dream image.  I want to improve Scotland by adding more variety in authors.....want to stay in the mystery suspense genre.  My Sci Fi needs work......I had wanted to explore works by many different authors.  

• Like 2

Is it Friday already?! 

I can't remember how many of you aside from Mumto2 were reading the Department Q books earlier this year, but am hooked now in spite of only being half way through The Keeper of Lost Causes!  

My current audio book is also lots of fun. It is an early Brandon Sanderson title, Warbreaker. In spite of that decidedly masculine and militaristic title, it is not laden with testosterone or battle scenes. Instead it has a touch of Goblin Emperor with a young woman unprepared for becoming queen and consort to a god-king, and all sorts of political and court intrigue. And because it is Brandon Sanderson, it has a smart magic system. 

I am obsessively making packing lists and checking off errands on other lists in preparation for some upcoming travel. My millennial children were appalled that I didn't own a tablet on which to watch movies on long airplane trips, so gifted me with a Kindle Fire for my birthday. Now I can read or watch depending on my mood, though it is a little unwieldly as an e-reader. But I do like being able to prop it up in its stand while reading at lunch. Much better than trying to keep a book open with one hand while eating with the other!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Is it Friday already?!

It is indeed. Rather shocking, eh?

2 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I can't remember how many of you aside from Mumto2 were reading the Department Q books earlier this year, but am hooked now in spite of only being half way through The Keeper of Lost Causes!  

I stalled out in book two. I may try again one day.

3 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

My current audio book is also lots of fun. It is an early Brandon Sanderson title, Warbreaker. In spite of that decidedly masculine and militaristic title, it is not laden with testosterone or battle scenes. Instead it has a touch of Goblin Emperor with a young woman unprepared for becoming queen and consort to a god-king, and all sorts of political and court intrigue. And because it is Brandon Sanderson, it has a smart magic system

Because you mentioned the magical words (Goblin Emperor), I may need to give that a try.

5 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I am obsessively making packing lists and checking off errands on other lists in preparation for some upcoming travel...

A fun trip, I hope.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Last night I finished a book that I quite enjoyed. It had a very intriguing character and an interesting premise. (Adult content) ~

The Bones Beneath My Skin by TJ Klune

"In the spring of 1995, Nate Cartwright has lost everything: his parents are dead, his older brother wants nothing to do with him, and he's been fired from his job as a journalist in Washington DC. With nothing left to lose, he returns to his family's summer cabin outside the small mountain town of Roseland, Oregon to try and find some sense of direction.

The cabin should be empty.

It's not.

Inside is a man named Alex. And with him is an extraordinary little girl who calls herself Artemis Darth Vader.

Artemis, who isn't exactly as she appears.

Soon it becomes clear that Nate must make a choice: let himself drown in the memories of his past, or fight for a future he never thought possible.

Because the girl is special. And forces are descending upon them who want nothing more than to control her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Is it Friday already?! 

My current audio book is also lots of fun. It is an early Brandon Sanderson title, Warbreaker. In spite of that decidedly masculine and militaristic title, it is not laden with testosterone or battle scenes. Instead it has a touch of Goblin Emperor with a young woman unprepared for becoming queen and consort to a god-king, and all sorts of political and court intrigue. And because it is Brandon Sanderson, it has a smart magic system. 

I am obsessively making packing lists and checking off errands on other lists in preparation for some upcoming travel. My millennial children were appalled that I didn't own a tablet on which to watch movies on long airplane trips, so gifted me with a Kindle Fire for my birthday. Now I can read or watch depending on my mood, though it is a little unwieldly as an e-reader. But I do like being able to prop it up in its stand while reading at lunch. Much better than trying to keep a book open with one hand while eating with the other!

Before you know it your Fire will be sitting propped in it’s stand all night long beside your side of the bed!  It’s my ultimate just in case I can’t sleep, weirdly combined with it takes care of itself if I drift off.  It’s perfect!

I loved the Keeper of Lost Things! 🥰. I have just gone back to listening to Department Q and am almost done with the second book, which I do not like as well as the first.  The first third of the Absent One made me abandon it a couple of weeks ago,  but someone here really enjoyed the later books in the series so I decided to try again.  I am two hours from done and the book has grown on me......probably at least a three........he has a new staff member who I really like.

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

...I'd be happy to suggest Linesman by SK Dunstall....

Regards,

Kareni

😂. The Linesman will definitely be read this fall!  I need to make a list!

• Like 3

On 8/8/2019 at 4:11 AM, mumto2 said:

A reread of Jane Yellowrock is probably needed by this reader too.  Maybe.........definitely plan to do this for the next Soulwood.  I just looked at the release date( end of October ) and will think about it........😉😂.  Maybe I should start now and I would be done before the next Soulwood!

I did a complete reread before Dark Queen came out (with my memory being an issue).  I just finished another reread of Dark Queen, and still found something new.  My ARC copy of Shattered Bonds should be here Monday. 🤞  I've already warned my husband and kids.  When I read the ARC for Circle of the Moon I hibernated with it for three days. ☺️  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I think someone here will know if part of The 39 Steps by John Buchanan is actually set in Scotland.......google is failing me.😞  It’s a book that I have planned to read this year.

I have been busy looking at my 10x10 categories, removing overlap, and trying to make them look like my ideal dream image.  I want to improve Scotland by adding more variety in authors.....want to stay in the mystery suspense genre.  My Sci Fi needs work......I had wanted to explore works by many different authors.  

Takes place in both England and Scotland so your good.  

• Like 2