Menu

Our first day with a backyard in-ground pool

DawnM

This morning we saw something in the pool and thought it was a leaf.  After a bit we went out to look.  I thought it would be a frog and my son through it might be a mouse.   It was a baby mole!  Poor thing.  There was no way to get out of the pool for it and it was frantically trying to find a way out.  My son took the pool cleaner net and got it out and onto dry land.  It was about 2-3 inches long and so tiny.

My dog was fine with the backyard until my youngest did a cannonball into the pool last night and now she is terrified of the backyard and won't go!   I finally got her to go out into the garage and I think she may have gone out the side to do her business, but she is terrified.  ARGH!  I hope she settles a bit and gets used to it.

We are all so happy in our new house!  It is better laid out and we each have our own space, no sharing bedrooms anymore.  And we asked them to leave the pool table and the boys have been playing pool and going in the pool during their free time from unloading our stuff.

And, my suit somehow got left in the storage unit.  So no swimming yet for me, but I am hoping to dig it out today or I will get on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and go anyway.

• Like 32

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

This morning we saw something in the pool and thought it was a leaf.  After a bit we went out to look.  I thought it would be a frog and my son through it might be a mouse.   It was a baby mole!  Poor thing.  There was no way to get out of the pool for it and it was frantically trying to find a way out.  My son took the pool cleaner net and got it out and onto dry land.  It was about 2-3 inches long and so tiny.

My dog was fine with the backyard until my youngest did a cannonball into the pool last night and now she is terrified of the backyard and won't go!   I finally got her to go out into the garage and I think she may have gone out the side to do her business, but she is terrified.  ARGH!  I hope she settles a bit and gets used to it.

We are all so happy in our new house!  It is better laid out and we each have our own space, no sharing bedrooms anymore.  And we asked them to leave the pool table and the boys have been playing pool and going in the pool during their free time from unloading our stuff.

And, my suit somehow got left in the storage unit.  So no swimming yet for me, but I am hoping to dig it out today or I will get on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and go anyway.

Get on the T-shirt and shorts. It's your own pool. Who's to care?

• Like 8

When we first moved to FL, our dog didn't realize there was a pool in our pool cage, and went running across the lanai, flew through the air, and landed splat right in the middle of the pool.  He had that same look on his face that Wile E. Coyote gets when he falls off the cliff, LOL.  He hated the water and it took quite a while (and a lot of treats) to get him back by the pool without him digging his claws into the floor like he does at the vet. 

Enjoy your pool in this dreadful heat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

Also, you can get filter covers that let animals out of filters. We have ended up with baby turtles that were stuck in a neighbor’s pool filter multiple times. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

There are products called FrogLog or Skamper Ramp that provide a way for animals to get out of the pool. My friend used to have an in ground pool and she really appreciated not having to remove drowned animals and frogs from the pool so often.

Oh, I have seen those, I should get one.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Truth! 

Also, Walmart and Target have all their suits on sale now. As a pool owner, I always preferred to have several inexpensive suits to rotate through versus a nice vacation/beach suit. Treat yourself to a new one or two! 

I have a few.....but not at the house yet.  And I am so tired.  I prob won't go out tonight.  I will tomorrow as I have a lunch date and will be out anyway.  But I could also stop at the storage units and try to figure out where they are.

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Get on the T-shirt and shorts. It's your own pool. Who's to care?

I literally have one pr. of shorts.  They are now washed so I might later.  Son has a friend over right now, so maybe later.

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m so glad you’re settling in and love the new place, pool and all. And that poor baby Mole! We used to find mice and lizards in my pool when I was growing up, and most of the time we didn’t get to them before they drowned 😞

Our last house had a large above ground pool.  We had a lot of frogs.  Some were dead.

We all love the house, except the dog.  ARGH!  She is so upset.

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

No, no, no!  Stop it! 

THAT.DOESN'T.HAPPEN.EVER!

Ha, sorry.  Maybe you aren’t rural enough.  A few weeks back when Dh and I were out of town the kids had friends over and they were all IN the spool and a black snake came swimming toward them.  One of the boys snatched it out and slung it into the woods.  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Brave kid! I think I would’ve levitated out of that water. 

(Whispering: Don’t tell Dawn, but we’ve had a water moccasin in ours twice, and once a copperhead was coiled above the pump switch.....I hate snakes! The least they could do would be eat the mice before they get into the pool! )

[Fainting Smiley] This is why I will never have a pool. We once had a small kiddie pool and mice used it to commit suicide - or accidentally drowned. Either way, it was horrible. We had so many funerals. Thank God, never snakes. I would have had to relocate.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I almost always swim (no guests over of course) in T-shirt and panties. DH swims in underwear. 🙂 Perks of a backyard pool!!! We’ve only pulled baby bunnies out of the skimmer. But this doesn’t make me sad. I hate wild bunnies. So destructive. Not gross until they start to deteriorate. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

GOOD NEWS!

1. I found my suit in the storage unit and got to go swimming tonight.  I puffy heart LOVE my pool!  It has a large area that is the depth of a kiddie pool for lounging, AND

2. The dog actually got INTO the pool and lounged in the lounge area!  She is no longer afraid of the yard.  WHEW!

3.  I ordered one of those animal saver things for the pool from Amazon

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, Selkie said:

My friend who just put in a pool was a bit panic-stricken when I told her about the snake stories in this thread. 🙂

Ha ha.....we just consider it life in the country.  The worst was the skunk that was clinging to the side of the skimmer.  For hours.  Dh put a long board in there and he went to work.  I stood by the window for about 2 hours waiting for him to get out.  He finally did and I got it on video.  It was cold too.  

I think this might be the first snakes we have had in 7 years.....but our area has been hit with record flooding and the snakes are just everywhere anyway.  

• Like 2

I guess I should just title this, Adventures in the New House

Today we looked up the new (literally brand new) fridge the owners bought before listing the house.  We couldn't figure out why it seemed to hold nothing.  But yup, it is a counter depth fridge.  So.......now we are discussing getting a deep freeze (we left ours in the last house.)

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I guess I should just title this, Adventures in the New House

Today we looked up the new (literally brand new) fridge the owners bought before listing the house.  We couldn't figure out why it seemed to hold nothing.  But yup, it is a counter depth fridge.  So.......now we are discussing getting a deep freeze (we left ours in the last house.)

I just got a counter depth fridge.  Very expensive (We got a great deal.....I would have NEVER paid the 8K retail price for it).  The CF is the same as my old frig (26.5) but yes it is quite an adjustment because the space goes up and sideways and not front to back.  I doubt I would put one in a house I built. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I just got a counter depth fridge.  Very expensive (We got a great deal.....I would have NEVER paid the 8K retail price for it).  The CF is the same as my old frig (26.5) but yes it is quite an adjustment because the space goes up and sideways and not front to back.  I doubt I would put one in a house I built. 

I looked this one up, retail price is $2800 and change, so not an $8k one, GE brand.  And our previous fridge was 28 cu. sq. ft and this one is 22.  So we lost almost 1/3 of our space.

Edited by DawnM