Menu

We just moved and I am in a mood

lovinmyboys

And not a good one. I think I will eventually like it here, but so far we don’t know anyone. My kids all went to baseball tryouts tonight and 2 of them did really well and 2 didn’t. The 2 who didn’t are the ones who like baseball more. And, one of my kids has a rash that I should probably have looked at, but I haven’t met anyone yet to get dr recommendations from. Last time we moved we had a doctor already thanks to the hive. Oh, and my two oldest are going to school this year and I am really sad about it.

This is our 3rd move in the last few years. I want to say it is our last for awhile, but so far I am not loving it here. I’m trying to tell myself it takes more than a couple of days. The last 3 places we moved we met people who became friends the day we moved. So far we haven’t met anyone other than at the tryouts and everyone there was in a competitive mood.

• Sad 10

Also, we moved out of a rental and really thought we would get our deposit back. The landlord is charging us for paint. I don’t know the exact definition of “normal wear and tear” but we lived there for 2 years so I felt like some marks on the walls would be expected. He sent us pictures and I didn’t think the walls looked bad. We do have 4 boys so my definition of normal wear and tear may be skewed. There were no holes though.

This is the same house that had a wasp infestation and my 7yr old was stung twice. We got nothing for that-not even a hope your son is ok. Now they want to charge us for spots near the light switch

• Sad 4

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Moving  is not fun. It might be worth finding out how often LLs are required to paint and what constitutes normal wear and tear in your former community. Maybe you have grounds to push back and fight for your deposit.

• Like 2

I agree about possibly pushing back on the paint thing. It is normal to repaint a house after two years of renting and marks are normal wear and tear in my experience. 

Re: moving. I’m sorry it’s hard. I know what you’re feeling. And you’re right, it takes more than a few days sometimes. It’s easy to get discouraged when you have one of those awesome moves where you meet friends on like day 2, then you have a ‘normal’ move where it just takes longer to meet people and find your tribe. But you will. Just hang in there and keep looking for those opportunities to make connections. We just moved again (4th time in 2 1/2 years) and I told my boys to go outside with their nerf guns to play so other kids in the neighborhood would see them and know they exist! So they did. A few hours later someone knocked on the door and said her son saw mine out playing and wanted to introduce himself. So just give it time and patience and make opportunities  🙂 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I am feeling better today. I think I am just worrying about things even though it doesn’t help. My oldest (13) loves baseball so much. The last several times we moved, he was a good player so I knew he would get on a team easily. He is still a good player, but hasn’t had a growth spurt yet so he weighs about 80lbs. He just isn’t as strong as the bigger guys. He will be so upset if he doesn’t make a team. 

Also, I have never sent my kids to school before and my two oldest are going and I am both sad and nervous about that, even though I think it is the right decision. 

Hopefully we will meet some people soon and get the house unpacked-I’m sure having boxes around isn’t helping my mood. I just can’t believe how overwhelmed I am about doing all the moving tasks-finding the library, getting the car registered, finding a dentist, etc. This is our 4th move in about 8 years, so you would think I would be a pro.

• Like 2

Transitions are always hard. We moved ten minutes away from a house we sold to a rental, and it was so stressful getting everything out and the new place set up. Then getting the old house closed out and all of that. My oldest college kid was away with the Army and missed nearly all of the fun. I hadn't moved in twenty years and forgot how bad it is. We kept all of the same doctors and dentists, but getting all of the services set up, addresses changed, etc. etc. was hard. I still periodically run across places that have the wrong information even though it's been over a year.

My kids both graduate from college they commute to in the next 2-3 years, so I'm staying put until we see what they plan. Then we may move again.  

I would push back on the paint if possible.  We are landlords (military and rent to mostly military) and we always go through and repaint every few years.  And we've never lost any of our deposit when we have rented because of paint.  That's absurd. 

9 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Or you are worn out. Moving is often not just a physical relocation, it can also be an emotional jarring.

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We’ve had three moves in four years. I have had a lot less tolerance for the work this time around.

Yes and yes!