Menu

Help me select a butter churn...

Heathermomster

I’m so clueless.  What do I need to purchase to make churning butter easy as possible?  Are the grooved, wooden butter paddles necessary?  Product links would be appreciated.

This is a gift for a friend who bought a ton of land and moved out into the country with her DH.  The couple have 4 children, chickens, and a tractor.  A functional butter churn seems like a fun and appropriate house warming gift.

Thanks in advance...

54 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Does she have a cow?

Or a goat...I guess that would be cheese, not butter, but the process is the same, right?

If she doesn't it could still be beautiful and aspirational!

Edited by SusanC
Not too swift with my dairy products.

3 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

My first thought was the Lehman's catalog. If she just wants to use it as decoration in her kitchen until she has actual use for it or just wants to use it as a novelty item for the kids, most of their churns are pretty and functional though maybe not the most efficient way to make butter.

Yes, Lehman's and they used to swear by their Dazey butter churner:

https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-dazey-butter-churn/

Seems rather pricey. There have got to be more inexpensive ones.  🙂

• Like 1

I have a wooden butter churn. It looks like a square box and you  have a handle that you turn.

I found an image of the exact one https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/4f72ac5597f83e0308603899

I haven't made butter since getting the twins. Making butter and making bread are some of the things I have had to let go as I spend so so much time doing therapy with them or driving them to medical appointments 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Goat milk is homogenized so you have to use a cream separator to make butter.

It comes out of the goat homogenized? Forgive my city-slicker ignorance. Perhaps I need to Google the cream separator. I remember, in the past, milking a goat and then shaking the milk in Tupperware and getting - what, goat butter? Cheese?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

At the moment, they do not keep cows or goats.  

I’d suggest a different gift then .

do they have a slow cooker or instant pot or solar cooker?  All (and some extras - like spare inner pot- if they already have basics) can be helpful to be cooking meals while people are working on farm

a gift certificate to Fedco seeds?

The property is not a working farm and is used by the family wanting to own property and get back to nature with the kids.  The tractor is used to manage the land. 

I like the look of the following book: https://www.amazon.com/Home-Creamery-Products-Recipes-Fraiche/dp/1603420312/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=How+to+make+butter&qid=1561814998&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I also like the look of the following apron: https://felicitysewingpatterns.blog/2017/03/18/free-pattern-cross-back-apron-for-mothers-and-daugthers/amp/

Maybe I’ll stitch an apron and give her the book or chicken gift.

When this family bought the property and moved out, the subject of butter churning started to come up jokingly.  I could see them possibly keeping a goat or two.  I’ll ask when I see her.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

The apron looks wonderful!  

Family aprons with cheerful farm / country / animal theme cloth pattern?  In my home aprons like that would both get use and hanging on hook would brighten kitchen 

6 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

When this family bought the property and moved out, the subject of butter churning started to come up jokingly.  I could see them possibly keeping a goat or two.  I’ll ask when I see her.

Jumping in to too much too fast can lead to burn out.  Big animals can be hard.  Goats can be hard. They usually need super fencing 🤺. 🐐🐄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

And they may never own a goat....My friend is driving back and forth a lot while mothering 4 young children.  She’s likely going to think I’m nuts when I ask her about possibly owning livestock.

Maybe don’t even ask?  It may feel like a “should” do when living in country.  We have had even quite animal experienced neighbors (sheep , horses ) give up on goats and cows 

my Ds wanted something big. I let him practice on chickens which I felt I could handle.  The resulting conclusion was he was not up to handling anything beyond chickens. 

Milk animals need regular milking, you can’t just up and go (trips, appointments, play dates...) without putting the animals schedule and needs as high priority 

and it’s emotionally disturbing to fail at animal care. Can even be a legal problem (if they get out and cause car accident for example) or huge vet expenses 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heathermomster said:

The property is not a working farm and is used by the family wanting to own property and get back to nature with the kids.  The tractor is used to manage the land. 

I like the look of the following book: https://www.amazon.com/Home-Creamery-Products-Recipes-Fraiche/dp/1603420312/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=How+to+make+butter&qid=1561814998&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I also like the look of the following apron: https://felicitysewingpatterns.blog/2017/03/18/free-pattern-cross-back-apron-for-mothers-and-daugthers/amp/

Maybe I’ll stitch an apron and give her the book or chicken gift.

The amazon book is an excellent one. I’ve used it.

• Like 1

I wonder whether a Sun Oven is in your price range?

They are simple, lightweight, very effective solar ovens.  Pretty much anything you cook in a crockpot you could cook in one of those. And they strike me as a low pressure, high utility thing that would scream self-sufficiency support without being a high commitment item.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I wonder whether a Sun Oven is in your price range?

They are simple, lightweight, very effective solar ovens.  Pretty much anything you cook in a crockpot you could cook in one of those. And they strike me as a low pressure, high utility thing that would scream self-sufficiency support without being a high commitment item.

I’d like that for me.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

I’d like that for me.

Ha, maybe you can get a deal if you buy two at once!

Other advantages:  Cooking smells and heat are outside, especially nice in the hot summer.  If you get held up away from home, the worst that can happen is that you toss one pot full of stuff.  No fire danger  or anything like that.  Pintos for retried beans get as soft as canned, something I have never accomplished on the stove.  They never boil over.  If the electricity is out, we can still cook during the day.  If an earthquake makes using gas stoves unsafe and knocks out the electricity too, which is likely for a Big One, we will be the only house on the block that can cook and/or heat up food.  

In theory you can also dry fruit in this, but I have never tried that.  I’d like to since I have a big apricot tree but I would have to buy some attachments for it that were not available at the time of my original purchase and I kind of want to hear whether it works from someone else before I try it.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, happi duck said:

If the butter churn is an inside joke, I'd go with a framed print featuring a butter churn or a mini decorative churn or an antique one for a shelf etc.

The apron with a butter churn print could be fun—but might be hard to find such fabric 

An antique could be more expensive than a solar oven ...   

maybe whatever is gotten a card could say something about a butter churn

• Like 1

I love my friend, but I’m not spending $250 on a solar oven.  My DD has no idea what is about to happen to her because I can totally see us making butter and the oven.  Fun fact..As I was creating the thread last night, a severe storm blew through and knocked out our power for about 3 hours.  Maybe we can start candle making too.

I really like 1920s and 1930s repro fabric, so I could use that or get something striped like ticking or cherries or flip and go modern with gray.  

Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

I love my friend, but I’m not spending $250 on a solar oven.

We made diy cardboard box solar ovens several summers when Ds was young.  They didn’t really cook, esp not here in PNW— but would melt cheese, heat already cooked items, dry fruits, etc.   

it was fun

My DD has no idea what is about to happen to her because I can totally see us making butter and the oven.  Fun fact..As I was creating the thread last night, a severe storm blew through and knocked out our power for about 3 hours.  Maybe we can start candle making too.

We end up making rolled Candles nearly every winter when storms take out electricity 😊

I really like 1920s and 1930s repro fabric, so I could use that or get something striped like ticking or cherries or flip and go modern with gray.  

Sounds lovely.! Cherries sound great.  Maybe guys would like the grey .

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Ha, maybe you can get a deal if you buy two at once!

Other advantages:  Cooking smells and heat are outside, especially nice in the hot summer.  If you get held up away from home, the worst that can happen is that you toss one pot full of stuff.  No fire danger  or anything like that.  Pintos for retried beans get as soft as canned, something I have never accomplished on the stove.  They never boil over.  If the electricity is out, we can still cook during the day.  If an earthquake makes using gas stoves unsafe and knocks out the electricity too, which is likely for a Big One, we will be the only house on the block that can cook and/or heat up food.  

In theory you can also dry fruit in this, but I have never tried that.  I’d like to since I have a big apricot tree but I would have to buy some attachments for it that were not available at the time of my original purchase and I kind of want to hear whether it works from someone else before I try it.

Carol, you must live in solar oven heaven out there...I have wanted to get one but can't justify the price and learning curve at the moment--friends have one, and it's useful only about 3 months of the year here due to weather and clouds (we have super, super cloudy winters even when they are mild). I am a bit jealous, but I wouldn't like the heat in CA, lol! 

5 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

And they may never own a goat....My friend is driving back and forth a lot while mothering 4 young children.  She’s likely going to think I’m nuts when I ask her about possibly owning livestock.

They might seriously consider renting out some space for people who want to have livestock and can't. They might get some cream to churn from time to time as a thank you. 🙂 We have friends who rent out their land/barn and other friends who live in an apartment but share farm space/farm chores so that they can do 4H. 

I like the apron idea.

• Like 1

The property is 175 acres and partially treed.  It’s common for loggers to pay property owners to selectively fell and remove trees.  It’s also common to make arrangements with neighbors to harvest straw for animal feed. There are also hunting agreements.  The neighbors use the back part of the property for hunting and then give them game such as turkey and deer.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kbutton said:

Carol, you must live in solar oven heaven out there...I have wanted to get one but can't justify the price and learning curve at the moment--friends have one, and it's useful only about 3 months of the year here due to weather and clouds (we have super, super cloudy winters even when they are mild). I am a bit jealous, but I wouldn't like the heat in CA, lol! 

I think that even on cloudy days we can warm food up, but not cook.

On days with sun, whether it's cold or not, we can cook.  The high temp is around 325 or so, but the typical temp is around 275-300.  The thing that drops the temp below that is condensation on the window into the oven--that's fatal--makes it sink 50-100 very fast.  So I have to use a heavy pan with a tight fitting lid, and wipe off the inside of the window if it gets water on it.  

• Like 1

On June 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM, Heathermomster said:

Well even if it just ends up a decoration, the churn would still be a fun gift! And Lehman's is the real deal, good recommend on that.

22 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

The property is 175 acres and partially treed.  It’s common for loggers to pay property owners to selectively fell and remove trees.  It’s also common to make arrangements with neighbors to harvest straw for animal feed. There are also hunting agreements.  The neighbors use the back part of the property for hunting and then give them game such as turkey and deer.  

Oh goodness, I'd give 'em a mud mat for the door. But nobody said I have good taste, lol. But really, when you live with men and trees and boots and all that, you can never have too many really excellent door mats. I currently have *5* before you actually step on my kitchen floor. I kid you not. Carpet in the garage, two as you walk through the breezeway, one area rug in the mudroom, and a final stop for dirt on the rug as you enter the kitchen. Never too many rugs. :biggrin:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

My DD has no idea what is about to happen to her because I can totally see us making butter and the oven.

See this is what's happening. You're having your I'm bored, let's learn a new hobby thing. With me right now it's chickens. I think about chickens and I'm like ooo romantic, let's do this! Then I think poo in my yard and I give up and go back to sunbathing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Oh goodness, I'd give 'em a mud mat for the door. But nobody said I have good taste, lol. But really, when you live with men and trees and boots and all that, you can never have too many really excellent door mats. I currently have *5* before you actually step on my kitchen floor. I kid you not. Carpet in the garage, two as you walk through the breezeway, one area rug in the mudroom, and a final stop for dirt on the rug as you enter the kitchen. Never too many rugs. :biggrin:

Actually, I think it's a great idea! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Well even if it just ends up a decoration, the churn would still be a fun gift! And Lehman's is the real deal, good recommend on that.

Me too. And yet, my floors are always dirty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Actually, I think it's a great idea! 

Haha, yup! Here's the one I just got          Mohawk Home Impressions Ribbed Chestnut Door Mat, 2'x3'      It actually really makes a difference. I have tried different kinds (coir, polypropelene, etc., but this is pretty nice. It actually seems to have cut down on our dirt in the mudroom noticeably.

I like the apron idea too. And Mohawk makes a really pretty version of this same type of rug in prints so it could be for a front door, etc. 

I used to have a pair of looped, monogramed entry rugs from my MIL. They were fine, but I had to wash them every so often and eventually (over a number of years) they bit the dust. Like I said, this Mohawk thing is just a beast. We're noticeably cleaner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

See this is what's happening. You're having your I'm bored, let's learn a new hobby thing. With me right now it's chickens. I think about chickens and I'm like ooo romantic, let's do this! Then I think poo in my yard and I give up and go back to sunbathing. 

Funny that you mention that.  I am bored.   DD has been wanting to participate in science fair, so about an hour ago, I ran a solar oven science fair idea across DD and DH.  DH is currently surveying USB temp data loggers.  Thank-you, Carol.

Last night, I selected bees wax for candle making.  Thank-you, Pen.

Since school and my crazy May have ended, I’ve sewn a Roman shade and resurrected an 8 year old PC by loading it with Linux and replacing and upgrading the broken USB ports. DD has a new Dancing Bears rock kit.  My goals are typed for next school year and curriculum is ordered.

I think I like the monogramed front porch rug idea.  Thank-you, PeterPan.

I’m definitely leaning towards fruit fabric.  Thank-you, Pen and kbutton.

I want the butter and cheese book for me now.  Thank-you, Fairfarmhand.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Actually, you just need to take her chickens. Just a few nice little cute peeps. Maybe a bag of feed. Since a cow would be too big/expensive. 

I think you have a secret wish that someone would start you on chicks!  😉

• Like 1

I love to eat chicken, but taking care of them is another matter entirely because live chickens gross me out.  My neighborhood doesn’t allow livestock either.  My DS was recently paid to look after a friend’s coup while they traveled.  DS felt that looking after chickens was easier than caring for dogs.  He’s dog sat this summer too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

DD has a new Dancing Bears rock kit.

I don't know what this is, but it sounds fun!

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I think you have a secret wish that someone would start you on chicks!  😉

I know, I walk into the store and I'm THIS CLOSE! I just haven't got a clue what to do with them, and we sorta have coyotes (like I'm not even joking, for real they lope up my driveway and live around here). So I figured my ds would be traumatized and talk about it FOREVER if I messed up and he went out to 20 dead chickens. 

But yeah, if I figure it out, in between all the other ideas, yeah I'd probably get there. But my poor SIL. She's such a dear watching my small house dog when I go places. Can you imagine me leaving a week for a cruise and she's gotta come up and attend CHICKENS? Ain't happening. And I ain't slaughtering chickens. Of course if I just let the door open, that solves that. Feed the foxes, coyotes, etc., problem solved.

This is why I don't have chickens. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

I am bored.

One, is your landscaping behind? Mine was very behind. Two, do you have fruit/nut trees? Three, have you considered planning a remodel, furniture change, or something else expensive and unrealistic that will consume a lot of time planning in detail and not happen for a few years? Four, do you have a pinterest wedding board yet? Five, family cookbook. Six, start planning cruises. I'm all over the cruising gig right now. I was going to say I wish I were doing it more often, but I think it might lose the mystique, I don't know. But I'm sorta really into it. Ds thrived on the one we did, and I just scheduled another for when the cold bites...

If I get really bored, I'll probably take up something artistic like painting. But I'd have to be really bored, as I'm sure to be awful at it. I can't even blend colors for a quilt like a normal person, let alone painting, lol. But still, a girl can dream. You could plan a trip to Disney. That will suck up all the time you want to give it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

You'd do well with a clean hobby like soap. Nothing to get in trouble with there, just lye, heat, pressure, spraying stuff, doing things in the basement, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I bought lye once because I was sure I was going to get into soapmaking. It just sits there, taunting me, laughing. But really, it's a good clean hobby, useful. Good for Christmas presents too!

• Like 2

Sister, the heat index was 116 deg today.  We redecorated and cleaned up in May.  DS pressure washed the driveway, books were donated or stored, the office was cleaned and overhauled, my living room looks amazing with a new area rug, wall art, shelving, pillow covers, new outdoor lights, and deck furniture.  The rain was so bad earlier this year that I started looking for things to change that I could control.  I also turned 49 yo and lost 22lbs since Feb.

I’m now planning the dining room upgrades.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I don't know what this is, but it sounds fun!

I know, I walk into the store and I'm THIS CLOSE! I just haven't got a clue what to do with them, and we sorta have coyotes (like I'm not even joking, for real they lope up my driveway and live around here). So I figured my ds would be traumatized and talk about it FOREVER if I messed up and he went out to 20 dead chickens. 

You start with housing considerations.  Like a good chick wire pen due to the coyotes— (this is a homeschooling project) — including chick wire on the floor in case someone would be trying to dig in.  And a simple shelter with egg laying box enough for 4 or so layer hens.  They do succumb to ... things.  6 chicks may yield 4 hens.  

Rhode Island Reds tend to be versatile.  Buff Orpingtons super sweet.  Golden sex links are guaranteed not to be roosters.  I’d start with one or another of this breeds.  Some others are better layers or have interesting color eggs or are beautiful to look at. But the 3 I mentioned tend to be pretty easy to start with.  (I personally love white leghorns because I had one who was a daily layer of huge double yolk eggs, and was unusually sweet and calm for a leghorn. But they tend to be skittish and I think white stands out to predators.)

at this time of year there may be a store selling young adult females (pullets) which are not as cute as chicks, but not as baby animal needy either.  If you start with chicks handle them a lot—it makes them used to being handled and more tolerant later.

backyard farm type stores will have everything you need.  I like water and food dispensers that allow being away for a few days if need be. (For adult hens—babies are babies and need daily care, though can travel by car in cardboard box in emergency.) 

dont start with 20, nor meat chickens.  

4 layers will give about 2-3 eggs per day in laying season. Put the eggs away in fridge and it’s an omelette breakfast once per week plus a few for baked goods.  

You can get into chicken tractors, more chickens , more interesting breeds, after the basics if you want. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You'd do well with a clean hobby like soap. Nothing to get in trouble with there, just lye, heat, pressure, spraying stuff, doing things in the basement, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I bought lye once because I was sure I was going to get into soapmaking. It just sits there, taunting me, laughing. But really, it's a good clean hobby, useful. Good for Christmas presents too!

Plain lye soap is excellent for finicky skin and to make your own homemade laundry detergent (adding washing soda and borax). Also a decent stain stick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

Sister, the heat index was 116 deg today.

Oh I forgot where you live! Wowza!!!!!~!! That's awful. You keep it. We've been hitting high 80s with humidity, so we're at our peak. It will go to about 100 maybe soon.

lost 22lbs since Feb.

You are the woman!!!!  You go girl!!! So was it all that house work or did you add something special? Oh dear, don't say you removed something. LOL But congrats, that's AWESOME! I've been going to the chiropractor (who specializes in rehab/sports stuff) twice a week to work on my back. It's getting better but we keep having bumps. So instead of going to the gym, I'm on the floor doing all these things every hour. This dude didn't like how I BREATHED!!! 

books were donated or stored

You are so far ahead of me. I'm just starting. And it's kinda painful. So I'm taking breaks and doing it slowly but willfully, bravely, with intention. My house is gonna lose some weight. In my defense, I did sell dd's clothes this weekend. Like 15 years worth, lol. Not quite, but everything of value went. Now to start on ds' stuff. 

If my back hurts every time I move anything heavy, that means I can't declutter, right? Hahaha, no such luck. Hopefully tomorrow he'll have a solution. I'm getting frustrated because this time it was just a stupid bag of catfood. He said I'm not "bracing" but he didn't take the time to tell me how in the fool world to brace. So I'm driving 40 minutes each way for these brief sessions where we do something and go home with homework. I kinda wanna just zoom to the END, lol. But it has been a discovery. I mean, learning how to breathe is good, right? Now I can breathe with my legs up, breathe while sitting, breathe while standing. I just am struggling with breathing while flat on my back, which is kinda a problem, oops. But we'll get there.

new outdoor lights,

They sound fun! 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

I love to eat chicken, but taking care of them is another matter entirely because live chickens gross me out.  My neighborhood doesn’t allow livestock either.  My DS was recently paid to look after a friend’s coup while they traveled.  DS felt that looking after chickens was easier than caring for dogs.  He’s dog sat this summer too.

Chickens are easier than dogs. Especially if you get 3-4. And it’s easier to find someone to care for chickens than a dog while you’re on vacation. Because it takes less than 10 minutes for someone to toss out feed, fill water, and grab eggs. 

• Like 1