Menu

I'm very nervous about giving our cat subcutaneous fluids at home

Laurie

We just found out that our cat has early kidney disease and will need fluids once a week.  Last week the vet tech showed me how to do this, and tomorrow will be the first time I try to do it at home.   My son will help me hold and comfort him, but I'll be doing the needle part.  We had a diabetic cat, so I'm familiar with doing insulin injections, but that goes much quicker than the fluids and I'm also not sure how cooperative this kitty will be.  (He doesn't like to be groomed or have his nails clipped.)  

The vet tech told me that there are youtube videos showing how to do this.  I've watched several, but now I'm confused about when to change the needle.   I'm pretty sure the vet tech told me to leave the old needle attached until the next time, then put on the new needle right before giving the fluids.  (I took notes.)  But the vets in the videos take off the used needle and put on a new one right after giving the fluids.  I wonder if it matters which way I do it?  

Please someone tell me that I'll be able to do this.  I want to be able to help our cat.  (We just lost our dog to cancer last month...by the time we noticed a symptom and took him to the vet and the oncology vet the cancer had already spread and it was too late for any chemo or radiation treatments. )

At least I know that I can take our kitty to the vet to get the fluids if I can't manage this at home...  

I haven't given fluids, but I've had to do other somewhat complicated medical things with my animals over the years. What I find is that having the vet walk through it with me once is usually not enough for me to feel comfortable. So, what works best for me is to have the vet or tech do the procedure the first few times while I watch. Then, I do it the next few times while the vet or tech watches, to make sure I'm doing it right. By that point, I'm usually confident enough to handle it at home.

Good luck - you can do this! 

ETA: I'm so sorry about your dog!

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you can do it, because I did it! I thought the vet was nuts when she said what I'd need to do. 

It was several years ago (he eventually had to be put down). I think I had to do it every day. A practical tip-I had a kid help hold the bag, or I'd hang it from a plant hook on the ceiling. This freed up both hands.

I believe my vet said it was okay to reuse the needle. I don't remember how many times I could re-use it. Based on that, I wouldn't stress too much about when to change it. 

And don't forget that you are entitled to call the vet for clarification! I once had the stupidest question about starting a new bag, and they were very helpful and patient with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We hung the bag from the robe hook on the wall in the bathroom and held/cuddled the kitty on the floor.  One person (usually one of the dc) held her still while I inserted the needle and then gently held it in place while we all stroked her.  When done, I could just hang the needle up and we could focus on the kitty a while longer.  

• Thanks 1

If kitty is food motivated you can put a pile of treats or a can of food down for her while the fluids run in, to keep her busy. 

And it doesn't matter when you change the needle, just be consistent so you don't forget and use an old needle - once a needle is used it becomes dull so will be harder to use and hurt more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did it here. I don't remember changing the needle (maybe DH did that?). 

Here it was a 3 person job. Cat on the kitchen island - 1 holding the cat in place, 1 holding bag, 1 to insert needle who then helped hold cat. Cat liked treats so he got a big pile while the fluids went in. Cat tolerated it pretty well, but he was pretty sick by the time we started fluids, so not able to fight too hard. 

If you have someplace to hang the bag, it'd be helpful. There were 5 of us able to do the job, so we just used a person as an IV hanger. Usually, all 5 were there telling cat what a good boy he was and cat just hung out in the middle of the crowd. 

• Thanks 1

Laurie,  We just went through this with our cat.  We found out she had cancer on March 4.  We wanted more time with her, of course, so I did administer "needle" injections.  I'd go back and have them show you again.  Going in to the see vet tech should be free under the circumstances.  That's what I did.   I was uncomfortable at first so I went back.  Also, our neighbor is a former vet tech.  But, I got the hang of it.  There is a certain area on the back of the neck AND between the shoulder blades.  You gather up to create a "pocket" of fluff.  That's where you inject.  Now, you want to be careful and keep "tip" of needle inside scruff.  If you go through to the other side of the scruff it will be deposited in to air.  I did this 2x/day for a week.  It was a lot but you do it out of love.  After that I asked if there was an alternative and they provided a liquid solution to administer orally.  This was a plastic syringe with oral med in it. Both have their pros and cons.  

Bottom line - go back in for reassurance.  If the cat senses you are fearful or don't know what you're doing, s/he will bolt and won't get the med.  I'm so sorry for your kitty.   

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Now I'm a little miffed to why our vet didn't recommend us do this with our dog during her last few months. At one point, we took her to the vet three times in two weeks, I think. Having the option for us to administer fluids at home would have been nice. Seems like she always got down and out on the weekends when the vet was closed.

By the way, you can do it. I've had to hook up IVs to a central line, take down portable chemo meds, flush drains, change extensive wound linens, and change ostomies for my mom. It's amazing what you can do when you have to. It will be stressful at first, but then you'll get the hang of it. After it's all over, you'll be quite proud of yourself for having managed it. 😁

I do realize you're dealing with a kitty, though. Just be sure to have some protective clothes on at first...just in case.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry about your dog.

You can do the fluids for your cat. You will get the hang of it. Don't be shy about going & doing it at the vet's so they can watch/help the first time or two. As others have said, it just takes some practice. I thought the needles for insulin were intimidating the first time or two, but I had no idea until I had to start giving fluids with those thick needles! Regardless, once you get the hang of it, it's easy. You can reuse the needle (just put the cap back on it between uses) a few times before it starts getting duller. When you do decide to change the needle, do so right before you give fluids. (That was advice from a vet tech. She said if you change it afterward, then you'll never remember when you get ready to use it if you changed it last time or not.)

I've given fluids to a few of my cats through the years. I used to hang the fluid bag on the door hinge. I would also use a sharpie to mark where the fluid was in the bag when I started & where it was when I ended, along w/ the date. (Mostly I did this because I found it easier to keep track of as I had multiple medical issues I was treating with cats at that time. Plus, I sometimes did it on an "as needed" basis & it gave me an easy way to track how much was given & how often.)

Most of the time, I would try to start the fluids while the cat was sleeping. One of my cats liked to sleep on the corner of my desk. I could hang the bag on the nearby door hinge, then put the fluids in while she was on the desk. It never bothered her & she would often nap during it. My other cat was a busier kind of guy, but if I started when he was sleeping, he was usually willing to sit/hang around until the fluids were finished. (You can also hang the bag over the top of a hanger & then hang the hanger over the top of a door.)

Otoh, my sister had a cat that needed fluids (& my sister is a cat wrangler), but the cat was never agreeable with my sister doing it at home, so she always took her into the vet for fluids. So, ymmv.

Oh & you may know this already, but the fluids may cause a fluid lump to be on the back of the neck area for a few hours until they're fully absorbed. So don't worry if you see one. (OT. I learned this back when I was administering sub-q fluids.... Apparently it was a short-lived niche body modification thing to do to your forehead in Japan, so that you would get the lump, could press a finger in the middle to make an indentation & achieve "bagel head".) With one of my cats, it's like the fluid always fell straight down into her legs because the fluid would gather there for a day until it was absorbed -- kind of like elephant legs for a day.

Hugs as you go through all this. It's good you are doing it & it will definitely help your cat out.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, so sorry about your dog and so sorry about kidney disease. Second, Yes! You can do it! I had to do this for my dear kitty and I am VERY SQUEAMISH. I hate needles, tubes, medical paraphenalia. I was truly like, “you must be joking” at first. I thought I can never do this! But I did. And my kitty needed them every day as his illness was advanced. It was: learn to do this or euthenize him immediately. So I learned to pinch up the skin and quickly pierce it, speak soothingly and spend ten or so minutes on it. We had a fee screw ups, but mostly, it was no big deal. After a while, I could even do it alone! Thor (my valiant kitty) sat there very cooperatively most times. I gave him treats when he jumped up on the table, which helped. 

For changing the needle, I don’t think it matters so long as you create a habit so you aren’t wondering if you did the needle yet or not. I removed mine at the end of a session so we were ready with a new needle the next time. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice!  

This afternoon I ended up taking him back to the vet after my initial attempt didn't go well.  I watched the vet tech again and hopefully next week will go better than today.   Part of the problem, I think, was watching the youtube videos because it seems that everyone has a slightly different technique.  The vet tech said that I don't have to flush the line beforehand.  And I explained to her that the cats in the videos seem to have a bigger "tent" than our cat so I was having a hard time knowing the best place to insert the needle.  (And having my rather annoyed"helper" say, "Just stick it in!" wasn't helping me at all at that moment.)  When I finally put the needle in it must have hurt my poor cat because he cried out and was trying to get away so I felt horrible.    

The vet tech makes it look so easy.  She left the bag on the exam table, put in the needle, then picked up the bag with one hand so she could squeeze it a bit.  It didn't take very long  and didn't annoy our cat at all. 

On days like this I feel like I should've followed in my mother's footsteps by going to nursing school!  But unlike Mom I'm squeamish about medical things...

Thanks again for your support.   I hope I'll have a better report next week.  

• Like 2