Menu

7th grader asking for really in depth Bible study next year.

Precept Ministries has really in-depth Bible studies (although recent ones sometimes include a little twaddle, but you can just move past the twaddle). There are on-line classes which are very reasonably priced. I haven't done one of the on-line classes, so I can't tell you about them. 🙂 However, I am a trained Precept leader, and I love Precept studies most of all the ones I've done.

Has he ever done Starr Meade’s “Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Study?” 

Or perhaps listen to sermons on particular books of the Bible - maybe Tim Keller, Kevin DeYoung or someone else. (Chose those since they are reformed Protestant - PCA) I used to teach a group of young women and I listened to Keller's sermons on the book of James and they were great. I took notes and formed questions to work through with the group but he could use it as a springboard however he wants. Maybe even add a commentary to read along with it since he doesn’t want much writing??? 

I also like Martyn Lloyd Jones books. They dig deep! For that matter - Keller’s books are super deep too but not all of them focus on just one book of the Bible. He has one on Jonah, Judges and I can’t remember what else but all of his books are great and certainly go deep! 

• Like 1

I have NO idea of the church affiliation or doctrinal stance of the following, as that was not my particular focus in using materials for our devotionals and Bible study, so I apologize in advance if none of these fit with Reformed Protestant needs.

Bible Quest Studies (gr. 7-12) -- these are a bit workbook-y and more writing than perhaps works for DS, but there is some good meat in these, and you could choose to do them orally/discuss together rather than as written answers
Precept studies are good; you might start with the introductory Teach Me to Study the Bible
Bible Study Fellowship is an international non-denominational weekly study for adults that has a school-age student program in some areas; great in-depth study from a lesson that you do each week, and then come back together for class discussion and then a teaching on that lesson

We also read/discussed a lot of books throughout the middle school/high school years on apologetics, worldview, Christian living, inspirational, devotional, etc. Here are some ideas for you -- many were written for adults and so they will click better in high school or even college:

Worldview
- How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig -- beginning worldview (at a middle school level)
- The Deadliest Monster: Introduction to Worldview (Baldwin)
- Understanding the Times (Noebel)

- Seven Men Who Rule From the Grave (Breese)
- Rethinking Worldview (Bertrand)

Worldview and the Arts
- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- seeing God's truth in films
- Reel Spirituality; Finding God in the Movies (Johnston) -- seeing God's truth in films

Apologetics
- Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, Mere Christianity (and others by CS Lewis)
- Orthodoxy; The Everlasting Man (Chesterton)
- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell)
- The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel)
- Christian Life (Sinclair Ferguson)
- The God Who is There (Francis Schaeffer)

Comparative Religions/Philosophy
- The Universe Next Door (Sire) -- Christian author
- Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy (Gaarder) -- secular author

- Lost in the Cosmos; Message in the Bottle (Walker) -- Christian author
- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (Hofstadter)

Christian Living
- Young Peacemakers
- Do Hard Things
- Celebration of Discipline
- The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make (Covey)
- Who You Are When No One is Looking (Hybels)

- The Greatest Among You (Simms) -- servant leadership
- Don't Waste Your Life (Piper)

- The Joy of a Plain Life (Cooper)
- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction (Peterson)

Devotional
- Fearfully & Wonderfully Made (Brand)
- A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23; Lessons From a Sheep Dog (Keller)

Inspirational Biographies:
- And the Word Came With Power
- Soul Surfer
- Kisses From Katie (Davis)
- The Hiding Place
- Bruchko
- God's Smuggler

- A Severe Mercy (Van Auken)
- Trial and Triumph -- inspirational short collection of martyrs

Fiction we found to be meaningful, or illustrate profound Christian truths:
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Tolkien)
- Smith of Wooton Major; Leaf By Niggle (Tolkien) -- short stories
- The Light Princess; The Golden Key; The Wise Woman (MacDonald) -- short stories
- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald)
- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)
- space trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength (Lewis)
- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)
- The Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin)
- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)
- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard)
- The Singer; The Song; The Finale (Miller)
- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)
- Cry The Beloved Country (Paton)

Some great suggestions in these past threads:
"Compiling a list of "life lesson" books for sons ages 15 and 13"
"Spiritual/practical book list -- help me add to it"
"Christian works of devotion or belief that shouldn't be missed"
"Any other inspirational books like "Brother Andrew" or "She Dared to Call Him Father"?"

Possible other threads:
"Books when struggling with (Christian) faith"
"? for Christians: apologetics or worldview courses?"
"Living books for [Christian] worldview course?"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 3

We are working slowly through an excellent series of books by Bob Schultz. They are not in-depth bible study, more like devotional books where the author shares a verse, then his reflections on life and practical advice for young men. I think 7th grade would be an excellent time to read them (my kids are younger, adn still enjoy the books, but I think they'd get even more out of them if they were older).  We've really enjoyed them (even my DD). Here are links to  the books: 

https://www.christianbook.com/boyhood-beyond-practical-steps-becoming-man/bob-schultz/9781883934095/pd/432001?event=CBCER1

https://www.christianbook.com/created-work-practical-insights-young-men/bob-schultz/9781883934118/pd/432003?event=ESRCG

https://www.christianbook.com/practical-happiness-young-guide-contented-life/bob-schultz/9781883934132/pd/934132?event=CBCER1

I'm looking for something to use with my kids, Ages 9 and 11, during our morning devotional time next year. I looked at BSGFAA but they are very familiar with bible stories and I think they'd be bored with it. We are going through Young Peacemakers this year (love it) and will finish the last 2 chapters next year. I'd love to find another thing that we could go through together as a family.  The Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 looks very interesting.

Does anyone have other suggestions for a slightly younger age group (age 9-11)? We've read Dangerous Journey (adaptation of Pilgrim's Progress). We will continue to work through Bob Schultz's books, but I like to have one or two other resources to alternate. I'm also considering Hind's Feet in High Places, but I'd love something that was directly "bible" focused. I guess I could go through and find scriptures to go with Hind's Feet as we read through it... Appreciate any other suggestions for the younger set!

49 minutes ago, JHLWTM said:

...  I'm also considering Hind's Feet in High Places, but I'd love something that was directly "bible" focused. I guess I could go through and find scriptures to go with Hind's Feet as we read through it...

Here's a free, online, brief study guide to go with Hinds Feet on High Places -- if you look down at the footnotes, you'll find specific Scripture verses to go with the concepts in each chapter, so you don't have to research that yourself.

Does anyone have other suggestions for a slightly younger age group (age 9-11)? .. I'd love something that was directly "bible" focused...

How to Study Your Bible For Kids and also Lord Teach Me to Pray for kids (by Kay Arthur) are both for ages 9-12. She also has a series of inductive Bible studies for kids of that age; they are all on different people of the Bible.

...We are going through Young Peacemakers this year (love it) and will finish the last 2 chapters next year. I'd love to find another thing that we could go through together as a family...

Not directly Bible study, but if you liked the Young Peacemaker and used that as a sort of devotional, you might like Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends -- it was written by 3 siblings who were all in their teens at the time of writing the book. That's geared for the age 8-14 range, I would guess. That one (along with the Young Peacemakers) really did seem to have a positive impact on our DSs -- I think the fact that it was written by not-yet-adults who really were siblings added a lot of weight to it.

Perhaps Starr Meade's Training Hearts and Teaching Minds (based on the Shorter Catechism) -- or, Comforting Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Heidelberg Catechism. We did one of those (the first title I listed) when DSs where about 9-10yo. Each devotion is very short, but in a way, that's the point of a catechism -- to be the "bullet point" list of key doctrines of Christianity and faith. 😉

Edited by Lori D.

I would try The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade. There are a series of books for the OT and the NT. You can either read the entire Bible along with them or you can read only the specific passages in the text.  Starr Meade is reformed protestant.

We did really like the Training Hearts and Teaching Minds and Comforting Hearts, Teaching Minds that Lori D. referenced by her, but as noted, they are devotionals. We used them for family devotions, not Bible study.

One option, possibly a harder one--is to study the book Knowing God by J.I. Packer using a study guide. Just looking up all the scripture would take awhile . 😃  But honestly, depending on your child's exposure I would start with the Starr Meade OT and NT books to get your foundation first.  

For the other poster who wanted something for younger kids @JHLWTM, we really liked CAP's God's Great Covenant for Bible study and the Starr Meade Bible story books for devotionals. When they were even younger, we did the Focus on the Family Kids of Integrity stuff (free online).

I hope this helps!!

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

My seventh grader read Proverbs monthly and whatever passage our church was studying.  We deviated from the Proverbs schedule during Advent and Lent.  

For going deeper, I consulted Ambleside Online for their reading list and found How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig (Schaeffer), Pursuit of God (Tozer), and another that I can't remember right now.  I read these aloud to my seventh grader during our morning time, and the conversations that emerged were exactly what I was hoping for!   

• Like 1

We used the OT and NT survey by Starr Meade and well as the resources from Ligonier Ministries.  Some of the Ligonier classes are free; however, we wound up purchasing a yearly subscription.  DS read the Sovereignty of God by Sproul, used a Reformation Study Bible, and kept a Manners and Customs of the Bible nearbyPacker's Knowing God would be excellent.

My dd used some of Warren Weirsbe's "Be" series commentaries in high school, and she liked them. I don't know if they're really as in-depth as he's wanting, but they're very accessible and uplifting. Junior high can be kinda dark for kids, so uplifting is really good.

• Like 1

I really, really like the Christ Centered Exposition Commentary series. It's Reformed Protestant and, to me, is a grown up version of the Jesus Storybook Bible. 😁 Every book focuses on a book of the Bible and points to Jesus.

I'm going to go through it with my just finished 8th grader next year starting in Exodus.

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1