Menu

Compiling a list of "life lesson" books for sons ages 15 and 13 for summer reading. Suggestions?

I have some ideas of things I'd like them to read, like books about $ for kids, Amusing Ourselves to Death, a few biographies, some Christian books (Heaven for Kids, Do Hard Things, some basic theology). 

If you have any that you've had your kids read and highly recommend, I'd love to hear.

Also, it would be even better if they actually *loved* or at least *liked* the book. I don't want to torture them needlessly or make them need a book that really resonated with me that they're going to roll their eyes about. 

I'm open to almost anything. Thanks!

Lisa

Life lessons are especially powerful, meaningful, and long-lasting when our DC can be in the position of spending time with inspiriting people -- volunteering at a nursing home and talking with WW2 veterans, for example; attending an inspirational summer camp or mission trip; volunteer work, especially with those who have weathered disasters, devastating injury or illness, or work with those who have suffered loss and are soldiering on.

From your original post, I take it that Christian works would be acceptable and desired, so I've included those. I tend to come at that topic from several angles, so I listed under various headings, in case that also helps you. All the titles I listed would be suitable both for 15yo and 13yo. Have an inspirational family reading summer! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Past threads with Suggestions:

Best life/maturity/thinking books for preteens and teens?

Missionary biography suggestions please

Inspiring Christian Biographies
- The Hiding Place; Tramp for the Lord (Corrie TenBoom)
- Bruchko (Bruce Olson)
- God's Smuggler (Brother Andrew)

- Kisses From Katie (Davis)

Inspiring Perseverance

- Soul Surfer (Hamilton) -- teen surfer who came back from having her arm bitten off by a shark

Worldview / Apologetics
- How to Be your Own Selfish Pig (Macauley)

- The Deadliest Monster: Introduction to Worldview (Baldwin)

- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell)
- Mere Christianity (Lewis)
- The Great Divorce (Lewis) -- apologetics/theology in a fiction setting! (may want to wait for the 13yo)

Putting Your Christian Faith into Action -- nonfiction
- Do Hard Things (Harris)

- The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make (Covey)

- Who You Are When No One is Looking (Hybels)
- The Greatest Among You (Simms) -- servant leadership
- Don't Waste Your Life (Piper)

Comparative Religions/Philosophy
- The Universe Next Door (Sire) -- Christian author
- Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy (Gaarder) -- secular author

Christian Faith in Fiction
- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard)
- The Singer; The Song; The Finale (Miller)

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)
- Screwtape Letters (Lewis)
- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)
- Out of the Silent Planet (Lewis)
- Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
- Leaf by Niggle; Smith of Wooten Major (Tolkien) -- short stories
- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald)
- The Golden Key; The Light Princess; The Wise Woman (MacDonald) -- short stories
- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)
- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

Worldviews / Life Lessons in Action in Fiction (books that prompt great discussions!)

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)

- To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

- Tuck Everlasting (Babbitt)

- Below the Root (Snyder)

- Watership Down (Adams)
- Earthsea trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea; Tombs of Atuan (some powerful Christian images); The Farthest Shore (LeGuin)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

- The Giver (Lowry)

- House of Stairs (Sleator)

Preparing for Adolescence by Dobson (if they haven't read it yet)

Life on the Edge by Dobson

The Hiding Place by Ten Boom

Kisses from Katie by Davis

7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Covey

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens (for them to read).   Highly recommend.

Where the Red Fern Grows  (has ideas about the boy doing his part of the work, meeting God half way to earn money for his puppies)

A lot of biographies might fit this, going into what people had to do to achieve something worthy.  We have especially liked some about Thomas Edison, Gandhi, and, others.

And Ladies of the Club (not generally thought of as for teen boys, but my son and I have been listening to it as an audio, and I think it has a lot to offer, as the various characters move through their lives over several generations, making sometimes good and sometimes bad decisions, and so on).

Ben Carson's Gifted Hands and Thinking Big.