Menu

Any other inspirational books like "Brother Andrew" or "She Dared to Call Him Father"

Are you only looking for books from the Protestant tradition? I've heartily appreciated reading books from the Orthodox perspective recently.

There are books like:

Grand Duchess Elizabeth of Russia: New Martyr of the Communist Yoke

An Extraordinary Peace: St. Seraphim, Flame of Sarov

Father Gerasim of New Valaam

Abbess Thaisia, An Autobiography

Father Arseny: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father

Just a thought!

Edited by milovaný

Bruchko! I'm telling you, it's one of the best. We did it as a read aloud and my kids were literally begging me not to stop each night. So good!

Bruchko by Bruce Olson

:iagree:I read this about two weeks ago and couldn't put it down. Read straight through, start to finish, into the wee smalll hours of the night. Gripping!

Kabul 24

The story of the capture and imprisonment of eight Western aid workers in Afghanistan by the Taliban.

For three months in 2001, the desperate plight of aid workers kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan captured the attention of the world. With the growing specter of U.S. retaliation for 9/11, the Taliban and Osama bin Laden attempted to use their Western hostages as bargaining tools. What the captors did not count on was coming face-to-face with the enduring faith of people who know their only hope was in Christ.

Kabul 24 revisits their grueling interrogations, their sham trials before the Taliban Supreme Court, their peril during the bombing of Kabul, and the crushing sense that the world had abandoned them. It reveals not only the eight Westerners' 105 days in captivity but also the gauntlet endured by their 16 Muslim coworkers who, after being taken to the notorious Pulicharki Prison, were beaten and tortured, having been accused by the Taliban of converting to Christianity.

Cinder

Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose

First We Have Coffee by Margaret Jensen

Just wanted to give a hearty second to First We Have Coffee - this is one of my all time favorite books. I've hunted down used copies to give away as gifts as I think it is oop. I rarely read any book more than once - this one I've read three or four times.

Oh, yes, God's Smuggler was the one I'm reading, not Brother Andrew (it's about him). And just before that I read (and loved) The Cross and the Switchblade! I had Bruchko on my list, will move it up! I'm reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan (great book about the Holy Spirit) and he mentions the Taliban hostage situation-it'll be great to read Kabul 24 and learn more about God's working in that situation! I'm so happy to have new choices-I can get some of them on my new Kindle-off to order some of these-thanks! Keep 'em coming if you have more!

Just wanted to give a hearty second to First We Have Coffee - this is one of my all time favorite books. I've hunted down used copies to give away as gifts as I think it is oop. I rarely read any book more than once - this one I've read three or four times.

I read it again as a read aloud with my 5th grade daughter last year and she loved it too.