Menu

Spiritual/Practical book list---help me add to it

I'm trying to make a list of worldview/spiritual/practical books that I would like my rising 9th and 11th graders to read before they graduate. Please comment on any of these that you thought were especially worthwhile or a waste of time for your student. I would also LOVE to have some more suggestions.

Here's what I have so far:

1. Lord, Is It Warfare? by Kay Arthur

2. I Kissed Dating Good-bye by Josh Harris

3. Do Hard Things Josh Harri

4. Mere Christianity CS Lewis

5. Choosing Gratitude Nancy Leigh DeMoss

6. How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig

1. Whatever Happened to Penny Candy Uncle Eric

2. What Ever Happened to Justice? Uncle Eric

3. Are You Liberal? Conservative? Or Confused? Uncle Eric

4. The Accounting Game Judith Orloff

Of your second group of practical books, with 4 titles, we have read 2 of the 4 -- Penny Candy and Liberal/Conservative/Confused. They were fine to have as one of several resources used towards the Economics and Government credits. All of the Uncle Eric books are from a single extreme viewpoint (Libertarian), so I would definitely use them *alongside* other resources for balance.

The only thing I can think to add to your list, other than doing some practical life skills things (see Christine Fields book "Life Skills for Kids" for ideas, or Barbara Frank's workbook "Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers") are some personal finance resources. Here are the two we used, and I HIGHLY recommend them as very practical and useful:

- Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance, DVD and workbook set (currently on sale for $80+shipping)
- Money Matters for Teens (Ramsey)

From your Worldview/Christian Apologetics / Inspirational list, we read all but #5 (Choosing Gratitude), and all were quite worthwhile. (We just had never heard of #5 to try it! :) )

[sidenote: If you can at ALL send your students once to Worldview Academy summer leadership camp, I *highly* recommend it! In one week, they will get quite a lot of info and practical application of: worldview, apologetics, Christian living/servant leadership.  WVA is great for about 10-12th grades, and Summit Ministry summer camp (very similar, just 2 weeks long) is great for grade 12 and early college ages.]

Other titles to choose from to possibly add to your list:

Christian Inspirational/Devotional
- The Greatest Among You (Simms) -- servant leadership
- Who You Are When No One Is Looking (Hybels) -- choosing consistency, resisting compromise
- The Hiding Place (tenBoom) -- inspirational biography
- Tramp for the Lord (tenBoom) -- inspirational biography
- Bruckco (Olson) -- inspirational biography
- God's Smuggler (Andrew) -- inspirational biography
- Trial and Triumph -- inspirational short collection of martyrs
- Fearfully & Wonderfully Made (Brand) -- devotional
- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard) -- allegory
- The Singer (Miller) -- allegory
- The Great Divorce (Lewis) -- not exactly allegory; a bus ride from hell to heaven, and why some of the characters choose to stay -- or reject and leave
- The Screwtape Letters (Lewis) -- great insight into temptation, through letters of a senior devil to a junior "tempter"

Apologetics
- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell)
- Evidence That Demads a Verdict (Josh McDowell)
- Know What You Believe; Know Why You Believe (Little) -- though, these are starting to feel pretty dated
- The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel)
- Christian Life (Sinclair Ferguson)
- The God Who is There (Francis Schaeffer)
- Orthodoxy (Chesterton)
- City of God (Augustine)

Church History
- Turning Points (Noll)
- Christianity Through the Ages (Latourette)

Worldview
- The Truth Project (series of DVDs) = www.thetruthproject.org -- a REALLY good, accessible series to do together as a family with a Bible study group or another homeschooling family -- gives you some apologetics, and some basic worldview in a series of 1-hour video sessions; I believe it is all free, you just have to register online
- Understanding the Times (Noebel)
- The Deadliest Monster: Introduction to Worldview (Baldwin)
- Seven Men Who Rule From the Grave (Breese)
- Rethinking Worldview (Bertrand)

Worldview and Arts
- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- seeing God's truth in films
- Reel Spirituality; Finding God in the Movies (Johnston)-- seeing God's truth in films

Other titles of possible interest:

Comparative Religions/Philosophy -- Nonfiction

- The Universe Next Door (Sire) -- Christian author
- Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy (Gaarder) -- secular author
- Message in the Bottle (Walker) -- Christian author
- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (Hofstadter)
- The World's Great Religions (Bowker) -- secular author

Fiction with Strong Christian Themes
- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)
- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard)
- The Singer; The Song; The Finale (Miller)
- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)
- the Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; That Hideous Strength (Lewis)
- Lord of the Rings trilogy: Fellowship of the Rings; The Two Towers; Return of the King (Tolkien)
- Leaf by Niggle; Smith of Wooten Major (Tolkien) -- short stories
- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald)
- The Wise Woman; The Light Princess (MacDonald) -- short stories
- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)
- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)
- Cry, The Beloved Country (Paton)
- Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin)

Edited by Lori D.

Of your second group of practical books, with 4 titles, we have read 2 of the 4 -- Penny Candy and Liberal/Conservative/Confused. They were fine to have as one of several resources used towards the Economics and Government credits. All of the Uncle Eric books are from a single extreme viewpoint (Libertarian), so I would definitely use them *alongside* other resources for balance. Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing I can think to add to your list, other than doing some practical life skills things (see Christine Fields book "Life Skills for Kids" for ideas, or Barbara Frank's workbook "Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers") are some personal finance resources. Here are the two we used, and I HIGHLY recommend them as very practical and useful:

- Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance, DVD and workbook set (currently on sale for $80+shipping)

- Money Matters for Teens (Ramsey)

Thanks for those suggestions!

From your Worldview/Christian Apologetics / Inspirational list, we read all but #5 (Choosing Gratitude), and all were quite worthwhile. (We just had never heard of #5 to try it! :) ) I'm doing this book now in a women's Bible study. I think its premise is profound: that ungratefulness is the underlying problem for most if not all major difficulties people endure.

[sidenote: If you can at ALL send your students once to Worldview Academy summer leadership camp, I *highly* recommend it! In one week, they will get quite a lot of info and practical application of: worldview, apologetics, Christian living/servant leadership. If interested, email me at neferlla AT hotmail DOT com for a $100 off code for a first-time student. WVA is great for about 10-12th grades, and Summit Ministry summer camp (very similar, just 2 weeks long) is great for grade 12 and early college ages.]

You know, I listened to all of Randy Sims' talks at our state's homeschool convention two weeks ago. I thought he was fabulous, and would love for my children to go. Don't know yet about funds for that.

Other titles to choose from to possibly add to your list:

Christian Inspirational/Devotional

- The Greatest Among You (Simms) -- servant leadership (bought this at convention!!)

- Who You Are When No One Is Looking (Hybels) -- choosing consistency, resisting compromise

- The Hiding Place (tenBoom) -- inspirational biography

- Tramp for the Lord (tenBoom) -- inspirational biography

- Bruckco (Olson) -- inspirational biography

- God's Smuggler (Andrew) -- inspirational biography Read this and loved it!

- Trial and Triumph -- inspirational short collection of martyrs

- Fearfully & Wonderfully Made (Brand) -- devotional

- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard) -- allegory

- The Singer (Miller) -- allegory

- The Great Divorce (Lewis) -- not exactly allegory; a bus ride from hell to heaven, and why some of the characters choose to stay -- or reject and leave

- The Screwtape Letters (Lewis) -- great insight into temptation, through letters of a senior devil to a junior "tempter" Thanks for more Lewis recommendations! I had meant to ask for those.

Apologetics

- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell) We read this one last year--good!

- Evidence That Demads a Verdict (Josh McDowell) Does this one follow the one above?

- Know What You Believe; Know Why You Believe (Little) -- though, these are starting to feel pretty dated Mmmm… yes, I keep hearing that about these.

- The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel)

- Christian Life (Sinclair Ferguson)

- The God Who is There (Francis Schaeffer)

- Orthodoxy (Chesterton)

- City of God (Augustine)

Church History

- Turning Points (Noll)

- Christianity Through the Ages (Latourette)

Worldview

- The Truth Project (series of DVDs) = http://www.thetruthproject.org -- a REALLY good, accessible series to do together as a family with a Bible study group or another homeschooling family -- gives you some apologetics, and some basic worldview in a series of 1-hour video sessions; I believe it is all free, you just have to register online Free? Sounds great--I'll look into this.

- Understanding the Times (Noebel)

- The Deadliest Monster: Introduction to Worldview (Baldwin) Got this at convention too!

- Seven Men Who Rule From the Grave (Breese)

- Rethinking Worldview (Bertrand)

Worldview and Arts

- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet) -- seeing God's truth in films

- Reel Spirituality; Finding God in the Movies (Johnston)-- seeing God's truth in films These sound like something my movie minded girls would like. They make a really involved, and well-done movie every summer. I really would like my oldest to think more about movie themes. If she ends up making any kind of movies, dh and I would prefer that they be full of Godly themes or else that she would see movie making as not a place for a Christian--KWIM?

Other titles of possible interest:

Comparative Religions/Philosophy -- Nonfiction

- The Universe Next Door (Sire) -- Christian author Okay, I'm trying to read through this book myself right now. It isn't very easy--I can only take it in short chunks. How can a teen read this?? Suggestions?

- Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy (Gaarder) -- secular author

- Message in the Bottle (Walker) -- Christian author

- Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (Hofstadter)

- The World's Great Religions (Bowker) -- secular author

Fiction with Strong Christian Themes

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett) We read this a few months ago! Wonderful book.

- Hind's Feet on High Places (Hurnard)

- The Singer; The Song; The Finale (Miller)

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis) This book gave dd a love for Lewis.

- the Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; That Hideous Strength (Lewis)

- Lord of the Rings trilogy: Fellowship of the Rings; The Two Towers; Return of the King (Tolkien) My oldest three devoured these because I wouldn't allow them to see the movies until they had read the books. So worth it!

- Leaf by Niggle; Smith of Wooten Major (Tolkien) -- short stories

- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald) These for older kids? I always see them as books for younger kids, but honestly don't know anything about the stories.

- The Wise Woman; The Light Princess (MacDonald) -- short stories

- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)

- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven)

- Cry, The Beloved Country (Paton)

- Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin)

Lori,

Thank you for this FABULOUS list!! I put my comments in red above. I have a few questions up there if you have any time--or if anyone else has a comment. I tried to comment on the few that we have already read too, just in case that would help someone else reading this thread.

Most of the titles, I just plain haven't heard of. I'm excited to look into them.

Thanks again, Lori. You're a gem!!

Off the top of my head, I would add:

Passion and Purity, Elisabeth Eliot

Experiencing God, Henry Blackaby (prefer in Bible study format but available as a book)

A Reason for God, Tim Keller, one of dd's all-time favorites from her apologetics class this year.

Also on my wishlist, would be a class in systematic theology.

There are other excellent books and resources, but these would be near the top of the must-reads.

Lisa

Off the top of my head, I would add:

Passion and Purity, Elisabeth Eliot

Experiencing God, Henry Blackaby (prefer in Bible study format but available as a book)

A Reason for God, Tim Keller, one of dd's all-time favorites from her apologetics class this year.

Also on my wishlist, would be a class in systematic theology.

There are other excellent books and resources, but these would be near the top of the must-reads.

Lisa

Thanks for the suggestions! My kids get systematic theology in their 7th and 8th grade Sunday school class at our church. I feel pretty lucky there.

I would include a book on doctrine that fits your tradition/denomination. If you're not sure, Ryrie has some that are very accessible, easy to read.

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/socialstudies/ose/national.html'>http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/socialstudies/ose/national.html

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/socialstudies/ose/national.html Longer, more thorough, but still quite readable.

Paul Little's books are also good. Know What You Believe, Know Why You Believe, etc.

These are books I have an hope to get my dd to read through. Also I hope to have her read through books on scientific creationism and apologetics.

I would include a book on doctrine that fits your tradition/denomination. If you're not sure, Ryrie has some that are very accessible, easy to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Survey-Bible-Doctrine-Charles-Ryrie/dp/0802484387

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802427340/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0802484387&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M282BJ62F9Q3A299TMW Longer, more thorough, but still quite readable.

Paul Little's books are also good. Know What You Believe, Know Why You Believe, etc.

These are books I have an hope to get my dd to read through. Also I hope to have her read through books on scientific creationism and apologetics.

Just saw they had a doctrines class in 7th/8th. Then that 2nd book would make more sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Survey-Bible-Doctrine-Charles-Ryrie/dp/0802484387

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802427340/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0802484387&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M282BJ62F9Q3A299TMW Longer, more thorough, but still quite readable.

Just saw they had a doctrines class in 7th/8th. Then that 2nd book would make more sense.

Thanks for these suggestions. Lori D. mentions "Know What You Believe", "Know Why You Believe" listed above too. So, what I keep hearing about these books are, "They are good, but are becoming outdated." So, I assume they are good and worth reading, but why the caveat that they are outdated? Are they maybe not something teens would like? Will my teens dismiss them because of that? Just trying to decide if I should give them a serious look.

Our library had the Paul Little books, so you could try them and read them for yourself. I don't see how they could become outdated. They're just straightforward discussions of pertinent topics. BTW, if you buy them, look for the versions that have the extra study questions in the back. His daughter went through and edited, expanded/tweaked a few things, and added study questions. They're definitely better.

I would add the God Who Is There by Schaeffer-Schaeffer asserts that Christians must resist the spirit of the world "in the form it takes in his own generation." Otherwise he becomes a useless museum piece and not a living warrior for Jesus Christ."

In conjunction with Where Has Ophrah Taken Us and Almost Christian

Edited by laughing lioness

Our library had the Paul Little books, so you could try them and read them for yourself. I don't see how they could become outdated. They're just straightforward discussions of pertinent topics. BTW, if you buy them, look for the versions that have the extra study questions in the back. His daughter went through and edited, expanded/tweaked a few things, and added study questions. They're definitely better.

I'll check my library, and thanks for the heads up about the extra study questions. :)