Menu

Latin: POLL

mommy25

What is your favorite Latin program?  

1. 1. What is your favorite Latin program?

• Lingua Latina
    • Henle
    • Latina Christiana
    • Latin Road to English Grammar
    • Latin for Children
    • Lively Latin
    • Galore Park Latin
    • other

My children used Latina Christiana I and II. I would suggest that you as the parent invest the time and energy to watch and learn Latin with them and then move into Henle after the LC is finished. My mom has done the series with my children and her friend and her friend's daughter. She is now teaching Henle to them all. (They watched Latina Christina I and II with the DVDs)

They are now doing Henle and progressing at a slow but steady pace.

My older dd's favorite was Ecce Romani. My middle daughter is using Latin Book 1 this year and it's going very well so far. It is an out of print book, but there's a yahoo group where you can download the lessons, audio, answers, and more. It includes plenty of English grammar, too.

The Latin Road to English Grammar. I am doing that this year with my 9th grader and we are both really understanding Latin grammar for the first time. We have used Latin for Children and liked it well enough. The girls definitely were able to memorize the vocabulary and endings well, but we all were lost as far as how the grammar worked. Others may be fine with the grammar in it. It just depends.

I would not hesitate to use The Latin Road with a 5th or 6th grader who liked to write and is strong with English grammar.

I hope you find what works for you!:)

Blessings,

my 16yod using SYRWTL Latin 1

my 14yos using Latin Prep 1

my 10yos using Lively Latin 1

Last year we began Latin with my boys using PL & my dd using LC1. We made it about 5 weeks, before we gave up. PL & LC1 did not suit us as they did not have enough practice, the speaker on the cds had too strong a southern accent, & each lesson was formated exactly the same way. We needed a bit of variety & lots more practice. Ideally if I began Latin years ago (& there was the same programs available that are available today) I would have followed this plan:

10yo---Lively Latin 1

11-12yo---Lively Latin 2

13yo---Latin Prep 1-2

14yo---Latin Prep 2-3

15yo---SYRWTL Latin 3

I would use FLL 1-4 ages 6-9 for a gentle introduction to English grammar.

JMHO,

Latina Christiana. I enjoyed the intensity of the program and the lessons. I like the grammar lessons that it offers as well. I can go slowly with this program like the Charlotte Mason approach or work it like a traditional program. I chose CM approach to use with this program. It will take me two year to get through Latina Christiana II, but my son will learn Latin.

Blessings in your homeschool journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

13yo dd really likes Latin for Children. I think it's geared towards a younger age, and probably wouldn't start an 8th grader in it, but she happens to like it.

I'd love to try Latin Prep -- it sounds like something we'd like.

I'd rather eat bugs than use Latina Christiana 1 and 2 again. So would my kids.

I'm learning Latin myself with Henle. I'm learning how to say phrases like "there are bodies in the river" and "on account of the slaughter of the leaders the Gauls did not praise Caeser". I'm pretty sure my dds would get tired of this subject matter.

We completed Latina Christiana I and II using the DVDs and Latine Lucerne, also. We are now doing Cambridge Latin...and my two boys love it! The stories are right up there alley along with the info on Roman Daily lives. I plan on doing all 4 books!

Myra

What Latin program have you used and really liked? If you want to leave a comment as to why you like the program that would help too! I am looking for a Latin program to use with a 5th grader and an 8th grader combined.

Thanks!

My "other" vote was for Learn to Read Latin, but that would be more for the 8th grader, not the 5th grader. Dd used LfC in 6th and 7th, then LTRL in 8th, 9th, and now 10th (5th-8th home school, 9th and 10th in school).