Menu

Help I need a new dog food for my dogs

Well they were on Nutro Natural for a long time, but then my pug started getting and upset stomach from it. We switched to Canidae, which was great until they changed the formula, now both my dogs have horrible gas and don't seem to want to eat it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

This is where we buy our dog food:

http://www.flintriver.com/default.asp?gg=Y

At first, I bought the sample package to see which the dog liked.

He loves this food. Even though it's dry, he licks his bowl clean, which I have never seen him do before except with people food.

He is not going hungry, btw, just being thorough.

RC

for kibble I like Orijen (made in Canada! all Canadian ingredients!)

or any of the foods from petcurean http://www.petcurean.com/

or Nature's Variety Instinct http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct

The rescue I foster for feeds either Evo kibble or raw.

Raw or home cooked is the way to go I think.... but if that's not an option, one of the high quality kibbles is a good choice.

I don't know how much money you spend a day, but after I figured that out, I realized that I could feed raw food. I got some from families who butcher their own meat, maybe I can get some from hunters next year. And, then I get the rest from the butcher and some from the store(mostly chicken here). I am REALLY excited about how easy it is. The first week was a pain. I had to train him to stay in the bath tub and not drag it through the house. Now, he just stays in the tub like a good dog:-) I put an old towel in the tub, if it's time for him to chew on a bone... It literally takes no more time than to scoop of dog food. Ok, so...if you don't do this...I recommend Taste of the Wild. Great dog food...as far as kibble goes:-)

for kibble I like Orijen (made in Canada! all Canadian ingredients!)

or any of the foods from petcurean http://www.petcurean.com/

or Nature's Variety Instinct http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct

The rescue I foster for feeds either Evo kibble or raw.

Raw or home cooked is the way to go I think.... but if that's not an option, one of the high quality kibbles is a good choice.

I'd say it gets the most favourable reaction of any dog food I've ever bought (and we've tried many during the years we had our highly allergic bernese mountain dog).

Our dogs get raw meat most of the time. Chicken carcasses- 50 cents each, or lamb bones. The dog who eats these is a medium size cross. The other dog is a 3 month old jack russell/maltese and she is eating mince- lamb, beef, or kangaroo (probably not too much roo mince over there but its cheap here!). She chews on the older dogs' older bones as well.

On top of raw meat/bones- which are very easy to give them- they eat some scraps and the older one fasts one or two days a week. Today I forgot to defrost her chicken carcass- dh is away and he normally does it- and I couldnt bear those doggie eyes, so I gave her an egg and some yoghurt, which she wolfed down!

Nature's Recipe and Purina Sensitive Skin and Stomach are a couple of options. Make sure corn is not in the top 4 ingredients. Switch foods gradually. I know some here like Iams but it has a lot of beet pulp which causes some dogs problems, not others. Raw meat is a risk for salmonella and E.coli, just like us.

Look for foods that don't have corn products. Many dogs do not tolerate corn well at all. We used Natural Balance with our dog with great success; we have our cats on the kitty Natural Balance as well. Petco carries this; PetSmart does not. Here's what the website says about the ingredients:

Fresh Chicken, New Zealand Lamb Meal, Duck Meal Premium quality meats (no by-products) and New Zealand Lamb Meal are combined to provide the most natural balance of proteins for your dog.

Brown Rice A superior rice grain with the nutrient-rich bran portion intact. This bran layer holds nutrients of vital importance, such as fiber and essential oils.

Fresh Carrots An excellent source of vitamin A and beta carotene.

Oatmeal An exceptional source of: carbohydrates, fiber, thiamin and vitamin E. Not widely used in pet food because of cost, it does not contain the allergy causing glutens found in other grains.

Fresh Potatoes Rich in potassium and an excellent source of highly digestible carbohydrates for energy.

Taurine Fortified New studies show that dogs need Taurine for cardiovascular health.

Skin and Coat Linoleic Acid, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Vitamin E, Biotin, and Dried Kelp are combined in a specific ratio to produce an excellent skin and coat condition for your dog.

No Artificial Preservatives, Flavors, Colors or Bleached Ingredients.

Ria

We use and LOVE Flint River Ranch. We use the lamb, millet, and rice formula because my dog has allergies. It is a good, human grade food. You can't buy it in stores; you have to order online. I order from www.flintriver.com and they actually charge no tax and ship for free! Can't beat that!

As for corn products, that is what Rosco is allergic to. Neither the Fish and Chips nor the Lamb, Millet, and Rice have corn in them. :)