Menu

how well do blackout shades/blinds work?

caedmyn

We need new master bedroom window coverings.  I’m pretty sensitive to light coming in, and it’s going to start getting light at 4:30 am soon, so I need something that blocks light really well.  How well do well-fitting blackout shades/blinds work?  Do they work as well as good blackout curtains?  

Well....  we have custom blackout roller blinds.  Unfortunately, the light still shines around the edges.  I'm very sensitive to light, and night is only four hours long in mid summer.  We now have blackout blinds, blackout curtains and I also wear eye shades.

Edited by Laura Corin

As Laura says, if you install the blinds in the window casing, unless you have really wide edges around your windows (wide vinyl etc) you often get leakage there. I know sometimes pulling them really taught and leaning something against them overnight (like a book etc) can press the edge tight.  If you don't mind just a bit of light, then they work fine.  If you're super sensitive (or working nights) then do the shades + curtains.  I did hear from a nurse that she had some shades that went outside the window casing (like this I guess https://www.theshadestore.com/blog/outside-mount-shades/ ) and I thought she said hers had some magnet or something to really stick to the wall. 

Best curtain design seems to be the dorky hotel type where they go the length of the whole wall and floor to ceiling because that's the only way to minimize any light coming in. 

19 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you’re that light sensitive then combine an inner window mount roller shade with over the top blackout drapes.  If you mount the drapes well outside the window frame (a foot higher and about 18 inches out on each side) they should block any remaining light extremely well.

Yep, this is exactly what I was going to say.  You can also install those old fashioned cornice/valence type of thing at the top of the window to block light leaking around the curtain rod.

If you want something less pretty but easier, DH used to take an old thick comforter and nail it to the wall OVER a roller shade when he worked nights.  All the function of using foil without the neighbors worried you're hiding a meth lab.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have light-blocking/blackout pleated shades as well as curtains. The shades do a pretty good job of blocking light, and the curtains keep any light from seeping out around the edges (although there isn't much; Mr. Ellie ordered the shades online and measured really well).

I love them.   I've done both blackout blinds, blackout curtains and both.   I've even made some.   Note, when you sew on blackout fabric every needle hole becomes a spot of light.  
They work well.    Me, I like to be able to look at the window and get an idea of what time it is, so I deliberately don't close blackout curtains completely.   But, that tells you that completely closed mine are truly blackout.  

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We had roller shades that worked really well, but you do get some light around the edges, which you can deal with by using curtains. 

Blackout curtains--mixed reviews. Some are a joke. Some are great. 

That reminds me.   When I bought blackout curtain fabric, there were three grades.  So it would make sense that the low grade would be more gray-out.