Menu

Spring :) (flower identification help needed)

Arcadia

That is beautiful! We are hunting for glimpses of dirt and dead grass as the snow retreats in very sunny areas. It's still over a foot in our yard though, so it'll be a bit. My road is a muddy disaster though and harder to drive on than snow/ice. Yay spring? 

6 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

The saucer magnolias in my town are spectacular but I hear they make quite a mess when they drop...and only last a short while.

The one in Mountain View City Library backyard has bloomed for a few months 🙂 petals are however everywhere. 

Picture of California Poppies taken yesterday outside a Palo Alto branch library.

2A9015B7-AEE0-412F-9732-37E14D6F1CD0.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

We still have 2.5 feet of snow, and dd is plowing snowbanks higher than cars up north. But we have lambs!

Same here. Too much snow to even see if there is grass or dirt under there. And the snow is old and dirty. 

I went snowshoeing on the first day of spring.  The maple sap is running, though, which is my favourite sign of spring! Not as cute as lambs, though. 😉

• Like 2

Bulbs are starting to come up around here, and my bleeding heart has tiny shoots but won't be ready to blossom for some time. Several kinds of sedum have either revived or started coming back up in my beds also.

A friend gave me gorgeous pansies--they have some of the biggest blossoms I've seen. I need to get them in the ground, but they are happy on my front porch for now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Arcadia, how are your treatments going?  Do you need anything?

Side effects of mouth sores, neuropathy and balding. Claritin is helping for hay fever symptoms. I am very near a Safeway with pharmacy so easy access to stuff. Thanks for your offer 🙂

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

SJSU campus. It was raining. The flowers in 3rd photo is from the plant in front of the cactus in 4th photo. I think the 1st photo is cherry blossoms. Identification of flowers would be appreciated 🙂 

0A0219B9-7EF4-44A1-BF38-83D3FC156D33.jpeg

C71B4B36-1DA3-49E9-A00A-2A8EA7BF294D.jpeg

95FFB12D-1EBE-4791-BB86-17F334EF66B8.jpeg

44AB1131-5937-43EA-ABBD-FEC591D96D3E.jpeg

I *think* that cherry blossoms would be pinker than that first picture.

I don’t know for sure what that tree is, but it reminds me of my apricot tree, which is starting to bloom right now.

Almonds are whiter than that, I think, and already blooming like crazy.  

It’s funny that you posted this—just yesterday I was telling DH that we should go down to the Japanese garden and see if there are cherry blossoms out.  I always seem to forget to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Arcadia, the 4th picture looks like redbud to me. The leftover pods from last year reinforce that possibility. 

I was thinking redbud as well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Arcadia, the 4th picture looks like redbud to me. The leftover pods from last year reinforce that possibility. 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I was thinking redbud as well. 

Cercis occidentalis western redbud 

according to SJSU landscape master plan (page 14 of 48) http://www.sjsu.edu/fdo/docs/SJSU_FINAL_Landscape_Master_Plan.pdf

I am going to bring this PDF on my iPad the next time DS14 has his proctored exam there 🙂

• Like 4

Your first picture top has pods showing strongly suggesting that it is a legume family tree—such as pink blossom black locust or redbud.  I don’t think it’s a Japanese magnolia...

The tree you think is cherry very possibly is.  Our cherry trees have white blossoms.   And in a few spots I can see the long stems in bunches hanging down to the flowers which is what cherries uniquely have.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I agree with redbud identification, that was my guess too but I didn’t know if they grew in CA. 

Western Redbud is what is on SJSU campus according to their landscape master plan.  I see many similar ones near libraries and neighborhood parks, maybe western redbud grows well here.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Our little ski hill on the back side of the ranch is closed. Once spring break hits, we don't have college kids to be lift ops and ski patrolmen. It's too bad, as we have PLENTY of snow!

Nice to have a ski facility so close! I guess you could do some powder skiing if you didn't mind climbing uphill. 😉  

• 1 month later...