Menu

If you wear nontoxic makeup. . .

Kidlit

what kind do you wear and why do you like it?

I’m looking to purchase some new foundation in the next few weeks and I’d like to try to move toward nontoxic products. I like light coverage (I currently wear a MaryKay CC cream), but I’m open to experimenting with different types.  The most important thing to know probably is that I live in the Deep South where the humidity and the sweating are SERIOUS.  Lol.

I don’t mind spending more than drugstore prices, but I’d REALLY like to feel pretty certain about the type I choose and the color, etc.  I have an Ulta local to me, but besides that I just have department stores.  I’m assuming that I’ll have to order online, but if Ulta carries something I might need to check out, I’d love to hear more about that, too. 

5 hours ago, JanOH said:

My "Mary Kay Lady" just switched her company to a new called Crunchi.  I can't recommend because I had just purchased a bunch of MK stuff so I haven't used it yet but thought you might want to look into it.

I guarantee if you put out the question on FB, someone is selling it.  But be forwarned, the people selling Crunchi are pretty obnoxious about it.  Right up there with  Plexus right now in my feed.  Daily posts about how wonderful the product/company is.  It might be. It might just be the best makeup ever, but I'm never going to find out because I can't stand the sales tactics.  But I will say, the people I know who buy from the people I know sure seem to love it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I guarantee if you put out the question on FB, someone is selling it.  But be forwarned, the people selling Crunchi are pretty obnoxious about it.  Right up there with  Plexus right now in my feed.  Daily posts about how wonderful the product/company is.  It might be. It might just be the best makeup ever, but I'm never going to find out because I can't stand the sales tactics.  But I will say, the people I know who buy from the people I know sure seem to love it. 

Ha!  I didn't know it was such a big thing.  The only person I know selling it is not obnoxious about it and I haven't seen it from any other source.  Thanks for the alert!

I like Laura Mercier pressed powder foundation.   It does not have an spf though  - so I have to add that.  I hate that sticky sweaty feeling on my face, so I'm happy with Laura Mercier.  I went to Ulta (or Sephora - can't remember) and tried on a few until I got a good match.   It's called 'Smooth Finish Foundation Powder"    I also have a mineral loose powder foundation but I much prefer the LM one.  

edited to add:  I have no idea if it's non-toxic.  I'm not sure what you're looking to avoid exactly. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

This is the brand I've been hearing about. There are consultants but I think you can also buy it from the website

https://www.beautycounter.com/

Here is a review - the balm is only thing I have really tried and I do agree with this review. My teenage son had really good results with the charcoal cleanser/mask.

https://www.mother.ly/shop/we-tried-beautycounter-for-2-weeks

• Like 1

Thank you all! I ended up buying Pur today at Kohl’s because I had Kohl’s Cash to spend so it seemed like a good way to experiment.  I am noting all the recommendations and will be coming back to revisit this as I experiment.  (I feel like a 45 year old teenager! Lol)

• Like 1

I am avoiding parabens, phthalates, and SLS. I use Weleda for moisturizer and Burt’s Bee for makeup (as Weleda doesn’t have makeup). 

Link to paraben free cosmetics https://www.bcaction.org/our-take-on-breast-cancer/environment/safe-cosmetics/paraben-free-cosmetics/

Link to Business Insider reviews on best natural makeup https://amp.businessinsider.com/best-natural-makeup

• Like 1

Clue me in...what is non-toxic makeup? Is there such a thing as toxic makeup?  The only context I can think of for that descriptor is non-toxic craft supplies so that if your kid eats a marker it won't kill them. But I'm assuming people aren't talking about ingesting makeup...?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Clue me in...what is non-toxic makeup? Is there such a thing as toxic makeup?  The only context I can think of for that descriptor is non-toxic craft supplies so that if your kid eats a marker it won't kill them. But I'm assuming people aren't talking about ingesting makeup...?

I'm a complete newbie, but because the skin is our largest organ, it's important to keep some unhealthy ingredients off our skin if at all possible. 

11 minutes ago, TechWife said:

What would those ingredients be? I don't understand, honestly. The most common definition of "toxic" is "poison." In what way & in what quantities/uses are makeup ingredients poison? Are you using the word differently than I expect? I also don't understand the importance of caring for the "largest organ" vs. other organs??

I don't think it's caring for the skin vs. caring for other organs.  It's more a fact of sort of not thinking about what we're putting on our skin.  (At least that's the way it is for me.)  

I came at this through the back door of hair care as I explored letting my hair do its thing via the curly girl method, so I don't consider myself well informed about skincare at all.

I did find this article online (which is admittedly one-sided, so know that I realize this!--ha!) that might shed some light on the subject. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Much make-up has toxic ingredients.  Neurotoxic, carcinogenic, mutagenic, etc.  

And if you think about a small skin patch Of scopolamine or nicotine being a way to administer a pharmaceutical type drug, it might help to clarify that absorption through the skin happens.  

For myself as well, I am bothered by some makeup having fragrance that gets into my nose, which unlike other sense organs has direct passage into brain area.  

Non-toxic make-up avoids the toxic ingredients.  

• Like 1

Toxic at the levels that are found in the makeup itself? As in poisonous? 

ETA: I can think of a lot of ingredients that would be toxic/poisonous at high levels, but those levels aren't used in makeup because...it would be toxic.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 1

To be honest, my little bit of googling leads me to believe it's a marketing thing, like a "clean" beauty trend. I mean, I'm not saying that poisonous makeup doesn't exist but it seems like it would be recalled fairly quickly in this day and age if it was making people sick or damaging skin.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Toxic at the levels that are found in the makeup itself? As in poisonous? 

Recent Claire’s recall

From FDA https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ComplianceEnforcement/RecallsAlerts/ucm632681.htm

“The FDA is advising consumers not to use certain Claire’s cosmetic products because they may be contaminated with asbestos fibers.

Samples of the following products tested positive for tremolite asbestos during FDA testing:

• Claire’s Eye Shadows – Batch No/Lot No: 08/17
  • Claire’s Compact Powder – Batch No/Lot No: 07/15
  • Claire’s Contour Palette – Batch No/Lot No: 04/17

The FDA sampled and had tested targeted cosmetic products following reports of contaminated cosmetics marketed by Claire’s. Testing was conducted on behalf of FDA by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and AMA Analytical Services, Inc.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that is often found near talc, an ingredient in many cosmetic products. Asbestos however, is a known carcinogen and its health risks are well-documented”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, EmseB said:

To be honest, my little bit of googling leads me to believe it's a marketing thing, like a "clean" beauty trend. I mean, I'm not saying that poisonous makeup doesn't exist but it seems like it would be recalled fairly quickly in this day and age if it was making people sick or damaging skin.

Dr. Dray says basically that is what is happening in one of her youtube videos  Dr. Dray on Parabens:    She has another one of sulfates too.  

• Like 1

Okay, that makes more sense! But of course when I buy makeup I'm counting on it not being contaminated...I'm guessing that's not exactly what the OP is looking for. I use mostly bareminerals and their tinted moisturizer seems to make my skin healthy, but I can only assume it's non-toxic, I don't know if it's labeled that way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Okay, that makes more sense! But of course when I buy makeup I'm counting on it not being contaminated...I'm guessing that's not exactly what the OP is looking for. I use mostly bareminerals and their tinted moisturizer seems to make my skin healthy, but I can only assume it's non-toxic, I don't know if it's labeled that way.

I Take with small ‘grain of salt’ looking carefully at what comes out high, but often check products on environmental working group.  I use Badger sunscreen because of skin cancer, which gets mostly 1’s (safest) for its ingredients- but if it gets higher for zinc oxide, I still will use it because that’s the sun blocker.  Here’s bare minerals: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/brand/Bareminerals/

I would not use one with that many ingredients higher than 2 or 3, especially not fragranced products,  but, I expect ymmv if you’re happy with it.  

• Like 1

Each bottle and tube is small, but it’s said women who use daily cosmetics can absorb several pounds per year of the ingredients.  So what may be trivial on one day may be more significant if it bioaccumulates.  

And then too, it joins in with all the other stuff we send down the drains into the environment when we wash off or sweat off or rub off whatever was not absorbed. 

• Like 1

The best more natural makeup I've found has all been from Physician's Formula.  Their mascara is terrible, but everything else I've tried has been pretty good.  I know I liked their powder mineral foundation better than the name brand stuff it knocks off, and its much less expensive.  Their Healthy Skin foundation is the most similar drugstore option to the Laura Mercier kind I love.  Slightly less coverage, but it really does make you look like you have healthy skin.

Everything I've tried from Whole Foods or similar has been pretty bad compared to other cheap drugstore stuff, and definitely DOES NOT compare to premium brands.

• Like 1