Menu

Breakfast cookies?

PeterPan

So what do you think, if the cookies have healthy things in them (oatmeal, coconut, walnuts, etc.) are they a legit breakfast? My ds gets indecisive in the mornings and sometimes just having something gets his hunger and brain going. Do you serve some kind of breakfast cookies? Anything else you use like this? Pie? Little prebaked egg muffins? Something else? Don't say pizza, lol. 

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

These cookies are a favorite in our house:

2 mashed bananas
1 cup oats
blueberries or raspberries (I use frozen)
cinnamon
chopped walnuts or pecans

Bake 22 minutes at 350.

Ooo, those sound kind of magical! I have some bananas needing to be used. So do you bake them as bars or scooped? And with no egg or baking powder they hold together? 

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

I say go for it. I also love an English muffin (the lite version) with a slice of Canadian bacon, an egg, and a piece of Sargento Very Thin Cheddar. It's just 220 calories and very filling and yummy. 

You're right, he does like English muffins! I try to be so careful about flour and things, but he has his sensory issues and opinions. He'll rotate, liking something and then being like totally anathema to it.

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

These cookies are a favorite in our house:

2 mashed bananas
1 cup oats
blueberries or raspberries (I use frozen)
cinnamon
chopped walnuts or pecans

Bake 22 minutes at 350.

We do something very similar...

2 medium bananas, mashed
½ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs 
2 cups rolled oats
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Add in raisins, craisins, nuts, chocolate chips, coconut, etc to taste

Scoop as cookies.  Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, those sound kind of magical! I have some bananas needing to be used. So do you bake them as bars or scooped? And with no egg or baking powder they hold together? 

Yep, they hold together. I just plop them by the spoonful on a cookie sheet. I always use parchment paper so they don't stick.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

We do something very similar...

2 medium bananas, mashed
½ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons oil
2 eggs 
2 cups rolled oats
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Add in raisins, craisins, nuts, chocolate chips, coconut, etc to taste

Scoop as cookies.  Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes.

Yum, thanks! So do you eat these for breakfast? :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yum, thanks! So do you eat these for breakfast? :biggrin:

Well, I don't personally eat them because I loathe bananas.  But, yes, I feed them to the kiddos for breakfast about once a week.  They also work well as a fairly healthy, filling, not too messy snack when we are out and about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I say go for it. I also love an English muffin (the lite version) with a slice of Canadian bacon, an egg, and a piece of Sargento Very Thin Cheddar. It's just 220 calories and very filling and yummy. 

Add a cup of hollandaise drizzled on top and I'm good. 

LOL

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Off to google this, never heard of it!

Ok, it says use milk. Is it ok with almond milk or subtitute or is it disgusting?

Baked oatmeal - this is the recipe we use - slightly modified - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/51013/baked-oatmeal-ii/

We use regular milk. We use applesauce vs. oil. We add chopped apples and chopped nuts (whatever we have pecans, almond, walnuts) too. Often we will add a very ripe banana. I've never tried it with almond milk, although we do use it for other things. 

• Thanks 1

Not that you necessarily need another one, but my favorite baked oatmeal is orange cranberry baked oatmeal from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.  I add a half cup or so of chocolate chips to it, so I’m maybe not the best example.  I’ve tried several of her oatmeal recipes and liked them all. 

Only 1/4 of my children will deign to eat this.  The rest eat bagels and Pb, cereal, eggs, or a pbj. 

• Thanks 1

Baked oatmeal;  muffins made with WW flour, oats, yogurt nuts, flax seed meal; cookies made with the same... sure, why not?   We keep whole wheat pastry flour on hand for these sort of things. 

I used to have a recipe for pumpkin custard. The recipe called for some number of eggs as a dessert, then said to add one more egg to make it good for breakfast. I just always added the extra egg even if it was for dessert, because we like things less sweet.  I don't have the recipe anymore but pumpkin pie without a crust is pretty much pumpkin custard.  

French toast is really just bread pudding.  Pancakes and waffles in general are about the same as cookies in terms of nutrition I think, or even less so depending on the ingredients.   In general I find these things really lacking as breakfast foods.   And most cold breakfast cereals, ugh. I mean, I love them and keep a box of plain spoon sizes shredded wheat in my desk for snacking at work, but I still don't think it's a great breakfast.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Honestly, some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are probably healthier than some muffins or granola bars. 

I would insist on a glass of milk and a piece of fruit so I could check my "good Mom" box. 😄   Heck, make them peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies and it's all good.  Recipe, but use real butter and add some mini chocolate chips (they go far)  Read comments for tweaks like increasing PB, reducing oats to 1 cup, and adding a little milk if crumbly : https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/whole-wheat-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cookies-130829

We do peanut butter toast with or without bananas and a glass of milk when people are hungry/grumpy in the morning.   

Eggs in a hole are also popular and don't take long to make.

I had some weird egg beaters faux-French Toast recipe that involved egg (I used real egg, but I think the recipe was an Egg Beaters thing), torn up bread, and other things put in a microwave? Those were super fast and my kids loved them.  Haven't made them in years.  It was like this, but I think there was even a cut up sausage or something in there? We used turkey sausage. https://www.budgetbytes.com/5-minute-microwave-french-toast-mug/   

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Not that you necessarily need another one, but my favorite baked oatmeal is orange cranberry baked oatmeal from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures.  I add a half cup or so of chocolate chips to it, so I’m maybe not the best example.  I’ve tried several of her oatmeal recipes and liked them all. 

Only 1/4 of my children will deign to eat this.  The rest eat bagels and Pb, cereal, eggs, or a pbj. 

I should’ve also said that I use unsweetened almond milk in the place of regular milk and coconut oil in the place of butter.

Edited by hopeistheword