Menu

Special Valentine's Day plans?

alisoncooks

Do you go out to eat or cook a special meal?  Whole family activities planned or ship the kids off to the grandparents/babysitter so you can have a romantic evening?

In general, we don't *do* Valentine's Day...however I've decided that this year I'm doing *something* special. The girls and I have decided on individual molten chocolate cakes and chocolate strawberries for dessert. Not sure about dinner but I'm thinking spaghetti. 

So...not a romantic couples night but it should be yummy!

• Like 3

We're not big on V-Day.  Sometimes we get each other stuff, other times we don't.  This year I just have a bag of conversation hearts for DH  and I made little notes with puns on them to put around the house for him and dd.  I got dd some special dark chocolate.  I'll be two days post-op from my second carpal tunnel surgery so I'll be incing and elevating that day.  

I think it's great that you're doing something special to celebrate!  Your plans sound perfect.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Do you go out to eat or cook a special meal?  Whole family activities planned or ship the kids off to the grandparents/babysitter so you can have a romantic evening?

In general, we don't *do* Valentine's Day...however I've decided that this year I'm doing *something* special. The girls and I have decided on individual molten chocolate cakes and chocolate strawberries for dessert. Not sure about dinner but I'm thinking spaghetti. 

So...not a romantic couples night but it should be yummy!

Okay, you're spurring me on!! I think I'll do spaghetti, homemade bread, salad, and chocolate fondue (angel food cake and strawberries).

Thank you!

Alley

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Okay, you're spurring me on!! I think I'll do spaghetti, homemade bread, salad, and chocolate fondue (angel food cake and strawberries).

Thank you!

Alley

Awesome! I've not tried it before, but I'm thinking of trying this "giant meatball" recipe: https://www.budgetbytes.com/giant-slow-cooker-meatballs/comment-page-1/#comments

• Like 1

One kid or another always ends up with an extracurricular obligation on Valentine's Day that prevents DH and me from doing anything date-like for ourselves. This year, DD17 has to cheer at a basketball game. She's still a new driver, so DH always takes her to the away games to prevent her from having to drive to unfamiliar places in the dark in the winter.

I used to feel grumpy about having to cook dinner on Valentine's Day, so over the past few years, we've had lasagna, which I make and freeze in advance. That way I can have a special meal (my homemade lasagna is an occasional treat, not a common meal) but not have to cook.

Dessert varies, but we will have something. It will probably be chocolate, unless I decide to make a strawberry cake (a family favorite that is a beautiful pink, so it's nice for Valentine's Day).

DH always gets me some chocolates, and he and I will both get some for the kids. I will also try to put a special treat in their lunchboxes, even if it is just a heart-shaped Little Debbie snack cake. I'll get some kind of treat for DH, probably chocolate.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

We don't do much but I imagine we'll be going out to dinner this year. Dh is union rep at work and the meetings are every 2nd Thursday. We've made it a date night. He usually drops me off at Starbucks with my Kindle and after the meeting we go out to dinner. This year Valentine's Day is on the 2nd Thursday.

• Like 1

dh and I had a cracked crab lunch - with brownies I made for dudeling's BD party.  (I made two types.  one is good for casual, or dress it up with ice cream/chocolate sauce, and whipped cream.  the other really shouldn't be called a brownie as it has a mousse type topping.)  

we ate while the boys were playing xbox (1ds set up a LAN).  They've had their brownies and are back down playing.

this may be as close as we get.

I'll do some sort of dessert - maybe chocolate fondue. Homemade pizza used to be our traditional Valentines meal, but we've been having it nearly every week recently, so it won't be that special.  DH and I will probably have a nice dinner after the kids go to bed. 

Last year I got a beeswax candle kit for the kids, the kind you roll up. That was a huge hit! I'll probably do it again this year, especially since they'll have the next day off from school. Crafts are always a good idea on a non-school day.

• Like 1

I make huge heart shaped sugar cookies for everybody with my special frosting and their names piped on the top for dessert. I was sooooo relieved not to have to do the public school Valentines thing anymore!!!!!!! DH and I usually brew some tEa and that's about the extent of our celebrations 🙃

• Like 3