Menu

What's with IKEA? Holy cow!

swimmermom3

DS spent the fall semester in Chile and just returned to D.C. for his final semester. He has a new apartment with two other roommates who also just returned from abroad. DS and "A" placed orders with IKEA for beds, linens, sofa, and dining table/chairs. "A" accepted the delivery yesterday as DS was doing the cross-country flight. There was no receipt from the driver and no paperwork. The guys are missing a bunch of stuff. They don't have the middle supports for either of their beds and all of the bedding, towels, and shower curtains are missing. Form online initially said 24-48 hours for response. Now it says 5 days. That's just to hear what they will do. It could be longer to get your stuff. Customer service lines say they are experiencing an unusually high volume and disconnect. The reviews online that I am just now reading are horrific - that you can almost never get through for customer service.

DS needs mattress cover, sheets, blankets, towels, etc. now. Waiting a day or two would be workable, but after the things I've read, I almost think it might be better to order from Target or rent a Zip Car and just go get what they need. Of course with everyone returning to school, there will be a shortage of some items.

I"ll go through the appropriate process, but online comments have left me with little hope other than to contest the charges.  Has anyone had the same experience? We've made our purchase at the store, but that wasn't feasible for our student in D.C.

I've only ever gone to IKEA (College Park) in person and never ordered online.  That sounds outrageous.  

I suspect that since this the spring semester, Target or Ikea will be out of fewer things.  Most kids get all the stuff they need in Aug.    

DS is probably terribly jet lagged.  I would recommend getting him either a zip or Uber and send him to Target.  

I would recommend getting him the bed linens and towels he needs for the next few nights.   

What a hassle.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've only ever gone to IKEA (College Park) in person and never ordered online.  That sounds outrageous.  

I suspect that since this the spring semester, Target or Ikea will be out of fewer things.  Most kids get all the stuff they need in Aug.    

DS is probably terribly jet lagged.  I would recommend getting him either a zip or Uber and send him to Target.  Is he in DC itself?  Or Maryland or VA? 

I would recommend getting him the bed linens and towels he needs for the next few nights.   

What a hassle.

You may be right about Target being out of fewer things due to it being spring semester. I hadn't thought of that.

He was tired, but sent a video of him putting the bed together at about 11pm last night. Of course, that's when he discovered there was no support. He unpackaged the new mattress and slept on it with his jacket. Borrowed his roommate's towel.

I feel rather guilty. IKEA was my idea, while the third roommate suggested they just rent everything. DS graduates this spring and plans on staying in D.C. This apartment is really meant to be his home, hence some of the new furniture.

We have only ordered in store for delivery and IKEA subcontract out their delivery. The ones that delivered our dining table and toy chests was a couple and they didn’t know what we ordered. Basically they picked up the items we ordered from IKEA customer service and delivered to us. They did ask if everything was delivered before leaving.

Here people would queue up at the IKEA customer service with a friend or relative and get it sorted out because the queue can be as bad as Black Friday. Missing delivery items can be picked up in store if they still have stock. 

Target has a four hour inventory update window so if you order online for your son to pick up in store, you might want to call the store and confirm that they could fulfill the order before getting there. Walmart has similar issues when we ordered online to pick up in store. The Walmart staff wasn’t sure how often their online inventory is updated when we asked. 

We ordered online from IKEA last fall. The store is a few hours away, so it seemed like a good idea. Anyway, they contracted out our shipment, so the company didn’t actually know where it was after it left the warehouse. It was passed to 2 different “local” moving companies. IKEA couldn’t tell me anything about it other than a 800 number of one of the companies - it took several phone calls to locate it and more to find out when they would deliver because they had to fit it in around their other jobs. Delivery took a few weeks longer than IKEA said but they had a copy of the invoice and we went over each item very closely!

I think he should just zipcar over there and sort it out if he can. College Park isn't too far if he's in the city.

The Target by me at the CoHi Metro stop (which... it might be the only one in the city proper actually) does look ransacked most of the time, but it's not a seasonal issue. At one point, I know they were the highest sales volume Target in the entire country.

I would definitely just go get the bedding and towels at Target, not only because it's faster but because the quality is a lot better. I love Ikea, but I think a lot of their textiles are not very good — the sheets are not cotton, and the towels are very thin. Target has nice, inexpensive 100% cotton sheets and thick towels.

As other people have mentioned, Ikea subcontracts their delivery to random local companies and I've read too many horror stories about delivery, so I always go in person. If sailordude can spare a day off, I would have him go to Ikea in person to sort out the missing bed pieces and get a refund for the missing items. Ideally, he should try to get there before they open so he is one of the first in line, because you can easily wait a few hours for help if you get there later in the day. But at least if he is there in person, they can give him the missing pieces and the refund on the spot. (And of course take a print out of the order with him.)

• Like 1

Ikea is terrible for delivery and customer service.  

The only way to shop there is in person. 

I once waited 7 weeks to get the correct dishwasher and they delivered 3 different ones, then I had to go to the store. 

I also bought my kitchen cabinets there at the same time and they delivered it and several parts were missing.  Then I went down to pick it up and got home and the thing in the box was not what it said it was. 

I learned to check all the boxes before leaving the store because twice now there was a part missing and I had drive back with the entire thing and get it. I got an umbrella there and the turn handle was missing out of the box and I also got one of those shelves with the baskets for toys and one of the dividers was missing.  It's very frustrating.

I have also waited on the phone over an hour for customer service.

I do love to shop AT Ikea, but no more delivery for me.

• Confused 1

I've had no problems with orders from IKEA until the recent order we placed on 12/20. It was supposed to be delivered Jan 2, but the delivery company called to say the truck broke down and they'd call with a new delivery date, but we haven't heard anything else.

Now I can't get through by phone or email, because their email form requires info on the order that we don't have...

I'm stunned that their customer service is this bad! It's funny, we debated ordering online or driving a couple hours to pick things up, and if I'd known there were issues we definitely would have chosen the drive. Also: they were quite prompt about charging my credit card the day I placed the order.

Amy

Once I was in the return line there and discovered how bad their online orders are.  The amount of people with issues and trying to get help as they couldn’t from the website was eye opening. Store only buying from there for us.

I still remember the lady in front of me smacking down a clearly small cabinet door and going does this look like dishwasher door to you.  

4 hours ago, Acadie said:

I've had no problems with orders from IKEA until the recent order we placed on 12/20. It was supposed to be delivered Jan 2, but the delivery company called to say the truck broke down and they'd call with a new delivery date, but we haven't heard anything else.

Now I can't get through by phone or email, because their email form requires info on the order that we don't have...

I'm stunned that their customer service is this bad! It's funny, we debated ordering online or driving a couple hours to pick things up, and if I'd known there were issues we definitely would have chosen the drive. Also: they were quite prompt about charging my credit card the day I placed the order.

Amy

Can you call the credit card company and have the order cancelled and then go pick it up yourself?

FWIW, Another happy Wayfair customer here. 

• Like 1