Menu

which kindle?

gardenmom5

it was suggested to get dudeling a kindle - so he'd read on that instead of his phone  (he'd still have access on the phone).  and read more and play on the computer less . . . .

so - which one?   I might do it for christmas - or his birthday next month.

pros and cons of different models?   

I agree with the paperwhites.  I have a Kindle fire as well and use that with a speaker for audiobooks but then you would have the temptations of internet access.  I LOVE my Paperwhite.   I have it sitting right next to me now as I am sitting bedside with my friends little guy in the hospital.  I can read on it and not disturb him at all.

• Like 1

I've had several kindles over the years and currently use a voyage. For my kids I would get paperwhites all the way (and have one atm). Especially now that they are water resistant. I would not get the classic without lighting. It is just so much better with the lighting option. 

I covet an oasis, but wouldn't spend the extra money for my kids. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

Get the latest Paperwhite!    I got that for my mom for Christmas this year.  I am so jealous.    I have a much earlier Paperwhite.   This new one is water resistant and can play audiobooks and can be bought with 32 Gb.   Ok, now that you have recovered from your swoon, buy it.  

I just ordered one of these for myself. I can hardly wait until it gets here Thursday! Earlier this year I babysat my grand nephew while my niece had classes, and she gave me a $50 Amazon gift card. I did it for free because I wanted to but she insisted and I finally decided what to use it on.

If you want that new one @gardenmom5 it's currently on sale.

Either way, get a Paperwhite. You can get the basic one and it will still be good. The last two Kindles I had were refurbished, which come with the same warranty as brand new, so you might want to look into that. It can save you $20 - $30. The only reason my new one isn't refurbished is because it's too new. 

• Like 1

My kids have basic fires. They love to use them to watch movies on planes and for a variety of apps, as well as regularly reading on them. I like that they're inexpensive (we got the original and any replacements on black Friday or Prime day deals so like $35-40). I am not too worried about the way they carry or store them... when they've gotten damaged, a replacement is not burdensome. We have the blue light set to be easier on the eyes. 

My kids have the kindle oasis if you need a review on that one. Younger boy who is tougher on things hasn’t spoil it yet. He has the paperwhite and voyage too. 

ETA:

Amazon Books at Seattle should have all the kindle ereaders for trying. Younger like the more squarish shape of the Oasis.

Edited by Arcadia