Menu

Word-of-the-Year People: Reflections on this year’s word? Idea on next year?

Ginevra

I have chosen a Word of the Year for the past several years. I know some others here do this as well. Care to share how your word played out this year? Are you finding a word for next year yet? 

I chose my word for this year by November last year - it is Wisdom. I had that sense of “knowing” that this was the right word. And I can see how the word played into so many things this year. Wisdom surrounding my trip to France. Wisdom in helping DS go off to college and making decisions there. And now Wisdom in treating breast cancer. 

I haven’t found my word for 2019 yet. Or it hasn’t found me yet! 

What about you? 

Last year’s thread

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

I don't remember what word I liked last year.  I don't remember a lot of things.  Maybe "remember" should be my word for this year, LOL.

I think maybe "proactive" would work for me.  Proactive in making sure I get tasks done before things have a chance to get hairy.  To make sure my kids and I get enough sleep and eat well.  In getting into shape for more physical activity and other similar things.  Proactive about building/nurturing good relationships.  And helping my kids to be proactive also.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Fifiruth said:

I chose the word “diligent” a year or two ago, and it really reflected my desire to not just dream or wish for life to be a certain way, but to put in the work to make it happen. It’s hard to explain. Something as simple as weekly menu planning. 

This past year, I have been trying to get some things done instead of procrastinating for yet another year. That is very hard for me, but I chose one thing at a time and keep pushing forward until it’s done.  I will continue this.

I will have to give a word for 2019 some more thought.

I do really like that. 

6 hours ago, lavender's green said:

I haven't done a word of the year before, but right now I'm feeling like I should and that the word is Serenity.

Edit: Which I'm not thrilled about because experience suggests it means a lot of crazy stuff is gonna go down.

IME, the word that feels a little scary is the right word. I remember the year I felt my word should be Experience. Part of me hesitated, because I was saying, “Well, what if it is a bad experience?” But I picked the word anyway. Experience did have a lot of influence that year, even if it wasn’t always a good experience. 

• Like 1

I think I have chosen my 2019 word. I think it is going to be Strength. I bought a pair of camo leggings with the breast cancer ribbon and Strength on them; it is the word I prefer over others often used on breast cancer support clothing. It resonates with me more than other words used for that purpose. I also like that Strength has both physical and emotional and spiritual importance and all of those aspects need to be nurtured. 

So, Strength for 2019! 

• Like 6

My word 2 years ago was Diligence - I needed to follow through with many things. I failed miserably in some areas, but I saw marked improvement in others. 

2018's word? I don't even remember. Life threw such a huge curveball thrown at me that honestly I'm barely functioning. 

I haven't yet pondered 2019's word. I am kind of feeling Joy as my word; I have lost myself in caring for the family, especially this year but also it's been happening slowly since I became a mom. I need to step back and focus on me a little, find a hobby or remember what gives me joy. I will have to think more on it.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 8:01 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Resilient. That’s what I think of with you right now. 🙂 

I really like this word. It sums things up for me quite nicely for this year and for the coming year, as far as what I need to be is concerned.

There are two words that crossed my mind when I read the original post, things required of me this year that will continue to be required of me this coming year: Accept and Adapt.  I won't go into details right now, but it has been a time of heavy changes and we face more in the coming months.

I haven't read any of the other responses, but I will do so as I have time. Thank you, OP, for an interesting and timely thread.

I love Strength for you Quill!

Three years ago (for 2016), I chose my word and set up all my goals to map with that (exercise, my career, homeschooling, housework my brain, I don’t remember what else). I really enjoyed it. I wrote it on the top of my calendar every month to keep me on track. It really embodied all of my goals and I liked that.

About halfway through the year, life got crazy with a surprise (and unwanted) cross-country move and the included house rennovation and sale. I spent the rest of the year in survival mode and forgot about the word until it was time to pick my word for 2017. I pulled out my notes and saw my word for 2016. I had chosen MOVE. Ahhhhh!

I did not pick a word for 2017. I was a bit terrified about what I could accidentally do to myself if I picked the wrong one. 😂

Incidentally, we moved across country again in 2017, so really, I could have picked any word. 😂😂

In 2018, I was still a bit terrified. I couldn’t settle on a word that wouldn’t accidentally take me across the country again. But I’ll pick one for 2019. Diligence, or Routines, or Consistency, or something like that. Actually, typing that out, I really like Consistency. That’s been my focus these last couple of months anyway, and I have a lot of room to grow in that area. And as I head back to work part time, being consistent (including consistent in hugging and cuddling) will be even more necessary. 

• Like 1

The first word I thought of was "resilience." I'll be home alone with 4 kids, including a newborn, while my husband is deployed until September/October, so I think I'll need resilience, but I actually would like to think of a word that's more focused on finding joy and opportunity where ever I can. I don't want to just "get through" the time, I want to make something of it. Any ideas for me?

10 minutes ago, xahm said:

The first word I thought of was "resilience." I'll be home alone with 4 kids, including a newborn, while my husband is deployed until September/October, so I think I'll need resilience, but I actually would like to think of a word that's more focused on finding joy and opportunity where ever I can. I don't want to just "get through" the time, I want to make something of it. Any ideas for me?

Thrive

Bloom/Blossom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beckyjo said:

My word 2 years ago was Diligence - I needed to follow through with many things. I failed miserably in some areas, but I saw marked improvement in others. 

2018's word? I don't even remember. Life threw such a huge curveball thrown at me that honestly I'm barely functioning. 

I haven't yet pondered 2019's word. I am kind of feeling Joy as my word; I have lost myself in caring for the family, especially this year but also it's been happening slowly since I became a mom. I need to step back and focus on me a little, find a hobby or remember what gives me joy. I will have to think more on it.

Now that I have thought a little bit about it, I am thinking Worthy will probably end up as my word. 

I am worthy to take some "me time", whatever form that will be.

I am worthy to actually go to the doctor.

I am worthy to be healthy, so I need to take time and energy to exercise and eat healthy foods.

My children are also worthy to receive the best education I can give them.

• Like 2

Apparently I didn't post last year.  You started that thread on December 26 when I was in the middle of both a trip around the world in 18 days, and a mega work nightmare, LOL.  Which brings me back to why I need "proactive" to be my word.  If I could get back to the days when I had little or no work backlog, then when things went wonky at work, I'd have capacity to respond without foregoing sleep, tranquility, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences with my kids.  🙂

• Like 1

I’m reading back on the thread from last year. It is so interesting! Also weird to see Hornblower’s post and to now be in the same health boat as she was at that time. 

I miss her and hope she is fighting strong. 

Funny thing—I had completely forgotten last year’s word, which was Ten, and yet apparently have followed through on it all year.  Setting intentions can be powerful.

Debating this year’s word.  I’m considering BAM for private reasons, or Welcome, because this year I want to work toward having a welcoming feel to my entire life wherever I am.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m reading back on the thread from last year. It is so interesting! Also weird to see Hornblower’s post and to now be in the same health boat as she was at that time. 

I miss her and hope she is fighting strong. 

you must have telepathic powers or something because literally I was thinking of this thread & my word earlier today & here you were mentioning me! 

I haven't decided on a 2019 word yet but breathe has been good to me in 2018. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So...... I'm thinking of flow for 2019 

the Csikszentmihalyi concept of flow and how it would apply to my academic life, my writing, my dog training - being present in the moment & task, getting things done but from a place of peace, not frantic energy

having simplicity and life just flowing a bit more easily

making a point of going to the ocean more frequently

yoga and fluid movement to strengthen my body

• Like 3

Persist was my word for 2018. There were times I really needed it - DS's hospitalization, DS's car accident, DH's hospitalization, DD's wedding, first full year with my new job, DD moving away, DGD moving away - it seems like there was always something I needed to get through.  

I haven't found my word for 2019. I'll keep working on it.

Quill, I love your word. I hope you rock those leggings!

Hornblower - Flow sounds divine.

• Like 1