Menu

Your Word-of-the-Year 2017; looking forward to 2018

Ginevra

If you do a Word to be your thematic word throughout the year, what was your word this year and how do you feel you met this word? Have you chosen a 2018 word yet, or have a few words in mind and will choose one soon?

My word for 2017 was “Connection.†I did make many connections with my past by way of ancestry studies. There were some other ways in which I nurtured connections, such a hosting parties and caring for my MIL.

I think my 2018 word will be “Wisdom.†I am feeling the need to use wisdom in my life and in my choices. I want to curtail some idle habits (like posting here unnecessarily or in unwise ways), unwise use of Facebook, and unwise or unrealistic use of money and resources. So, I think Wisdom is my word for the coming year.

How about you?

• Like 3

I can't even remember if I did one in 2017 but your post reminded me to search through archives & I did one for 2015. 

I'm tempted to recycle it: 'breathe' 

I'm going to sit with this a bit and see but right now it's sparking all sorts of positive associations, including just the very basic of breath being life and as I will go through cancer treatment, that seems pretty apt...

Thank you for this reminder. 

• Like 3

I can't find last year's thread, but I think my word was something like "action" and it was a successful year for me in that regard. I stopped just thinking and planning and actually did and joined. I faced my fear of flying and heights to go on several adventures. I joined weight watchers in September and my health is improving. And I finally found an active volunteer position tutoring that I love and feel I can make a difference.

I'll have to think about 2018 and how I could expand on what I've started.

• Like 5

I can't find last year's thread, but I think my word was something like "action" and it was a successful year for me in that regard. I stopped just thinking and planning and actually did and joined. I faced my fear of flying and heights to go on several adventures. I joined weight watchers in September and my health is improving. And I finally found an active volunteer position tutoring that I love and feel I can make a difference.

I'll have to think about 2018 and how I could expand on what I've started.

That sounds so inspiring! I do vaguely recall that someone had “actionâ€or “active†as her word, so maybe I am remembering yours.

• Like 1

Less.

Less distractions. Less money spent. Less stuff purchased. Less worrying. Less time wasted. Less food wasted.

Less laundry, but now I'm reaching.

Maybe in 2019 I'll pick "more", but I think I need to get less down first to have room for more.

I like Less as a word!

There is a book called The Power of Less. Maybe that could be your book to launch the year of Less.

• Like 2

Every year, I do a Bible word study on my chosen word. 

My 2017 word was Hope and I clung to that like a life raft. The time I spent in scripture specifically around Hope carried me through some really hard situations.

My 2018 word is Grow. I actually don't feel like I'm done studying hope, so I might not do as in-depth of a study on grow. But maybe I should!

• Like 4

Every year, I do a Bible word study on my chosen word.

My 2017 word was Hope and I clung to that like a life raft. The time I spent in scripture specifically around Hope carried me through some really hard situations.

My 2018 word is Grow. I actually don't feel like I'm done studying hope, so I might not do as in-depth of a study on grow. But maybe I should!

This is interesting, because I was thinking I might incorporate some meditation on the Wisdom verses in Proverbs somehow. Like, write one on a card and meditate on it daily for a week or something.

• Like 2

If you do a Word to be your thematic word throughout the year, what was your word this year and how do you feel you met this word? Have you chosen a 2018 word yet, or have a few words in mind and will choose one soon?

My word for 2017 was “Connection.†I did make many connections with my past by way of ancestry studies. There were some other ways in which I nurtured connections, such a hosting parties and caring for my MIL.

I think my 2018 word will be “Wisdom.†I am feeling the need to use wisdom in my life and in my choices. I want to curtail some idle habits (like posting here unnecessarily or in unwise ways), unwise use of Facebook, and unwise or unrealistic use of money and resources. So, I think Wisdom is my word for the coming year.

How about you?

oh, yay!  There ARE others on here who do this still!!

I posted about it last week and was met with crickets lol.  I'm assuming everyone was still in full pre-Christmas swing and not thinking about it yet.   :D

So anyway, my word for 2017 was Bloom, which was 100% perfect as always.  Inevitably, the words end up just sort of clicking with me one day (though I do still put thought into it - I'm not saying I pick some random word that comes to me one day) and I just know that it's the one.  Last year I sort of felt bad picking Bloom, because I thought maybe I should have gone with the more responsible sounding 'Grow'... but Grow just wasn't right, and Bloom was.

And I never know exactly how the word ends up being perfect.  But it just does.  

Bloom was perfect because again, this year has been a year of... not transformation, per se, but another phase of becoming more myself than ever.  Throwing off even more things that don't suit  me - whether they are traditions, or unwritten 'rules', or whatever.  It's hard to explain.  

I'm still working on 2018.  There have been a few that have gone through my mind, but none have stuck yet.  

ETA: I forgot to say this above when I was talking about the word always ending up being perfect - but it's not even necessarily that I realize it is at the time.  Like through the whole year.  In 2015 my word was Live and it wasn't until the end of the year that I could look back and see how it fit so well.  

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 5

I found the word-of-the-year thread for 2017 (here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/633145-if-you-do-a-word-of-the-year-what-was-your-2016-2017/).

Unfortunately, 2017 was a bit of a bust for my word (JOY). 

I think for 2018, I'm going to focus on RESOLVE. That is, I'm solving problems, deciding on courses of action, and having the determination to get stuff done. 

I really do enjoy these annual words. 

• Like 2

Habit. I want to cultivate good habits not just in terms of my daily routines, but also in regards to my relationships, our spending, and my general outlook on life (I want to train myself to be more positive). If I had to name my biggest flaw, it's probably that I'm not disciplined enough.

I've read The Power of Habit and Gretchen Rubin's work. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

• Like 3

ETA: I forgot to say this above when I was talking about the word always ending up being perfect - but it's not even necessarily that I realize it is at the time. Like through the whole year. In 2015 my word was Live and it wasn't until the end of the year that I could look back and see how it fit so well.

I know what you mean. I have had the same experience. When I choose the word, I come to have a sense of “rightness†about that word. At the end of the year, I can see and feel why that was the right word.

• Like 2

My word for 2017 was 'insignificant'.  My purpose was to look for the small things that I could do, the things that seem insignificant and behind the scenes, but things that impact others for good.  Examples:  listening, remembering other people's cares and asking about those, bringing a meal, watching someone's kids, giving an encouraging word, finding the best in people.  

I haven't decided on 2018 yet.  

• Like 2

I couldn't come up with a word last year, try as I might. In retrospect, I would say it was purpose and growth. That was the theme of the last 18 months or so. There was a lot of pain in that but that is the way it goes.

For 2018 Connect keeps coming to mind, so that I believe will be my primary focus.

• Like 2

I think mine is Health. There are a lot of habits I would like to change that center around better health...physical, mental, and emotional.

Somewhat ironic since I’m a doctor but I think like many doctors I’m not very good at self-care.

• Like 3

Word groups for me.

2017--Bright, positive and happy (everything I took in had to fit these words. Books, music, TV shows, etc. even social media I eliminated anything I could that came up in my timeline that didn't work toward these words)

2018--Positive balance and peace (continuing from last year but working on balance and towards peace in relationships and activities)

• Like 3

I am still debating about which exact word, but contenders right now are Disciplined, Intentional, Focused, Accountable

I am letting too many things fall through the cracks. I let myself off the hook so very easily. There are many aspects of my life this could apply to this year. Feels like a year for a little self tough love instead of just self love. If anyone thinks of any good words for that let me know!

• Like 2

I am still debating about which exact word, but contenders right now are Disciplined, Intentional, Focused, Accountable

I am letting too many things fall through the cracks. I let myself off the hook so very easily. There are many aspects of my life this could apply to this year. Feels like a year for a little self tough love instead of just self love. If anyone thinks of any good words for that let me know!

I wonder if kaizen would resonate for you. 

It's Japanese & iirc it simply means good change but in productivity and self improvement circles it is used to mean "constant continual improvement" 

• Like 2

I didn’t select one last year and floundered about quite a bit with my writing and spending way to much time online. I’m debating between intention or persist, maybe steadfast. I’m still trying to figure out my inspirational or spiritual read for the year. Although my sister did give each of us an Inspire Bible for Christmas. I’m not majorly into coloring however the thing that’s right under my nose is usually what I need. 🌷😻👃ðŸ»

• Like 1