Menu

That stray, outside cat...

alisoncooks

...just got himself a heated cat house. Cause it's chilly and wet and he looks so pathetic!

(And because my kids keep wrapping him up in our towels, like a cat burrito, and giving him snuggles...but my towels are getting ruined!)

I was going to buy a new Christmas tree this year, but I guess that can wait. Kitty looks cold now. 

(We feed this cat and love on him, but he can't come in the house -- my youngest is allergic.)

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

We just sort of adopted a stray outside cat that is the most loving sweet thing ever. It kept coming in, and we were letting it snuggle with us during the day, and one night I discovered it had snuck in somehow and hidden out. And since then, it is sleeping with us. I got it a collar and food and litter box. I am next trying to figure out when I can get it to the vet. So I understand! When they are so sweet and loving and let the kids snuggle like that, it is hard to leave them out in the cold! 

• Like 10

My neighbor did the same thing for a stray cat that they “adopted “.

Just a warning though...another critter decided to use the heated house one night (I think it was a raccoon)

When it snowed they put the cat in the garage.

She also treated the cat for fleas after the cat unknowingly gave her fleas in her house.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

We just sort of adopted a stray outside cat that is the most loving sweet thing ever. It kept coming in, and we were letting it snuggle with us during the day, and one night I discovered it had snuck in somehow and hidden out. And since then, it is sleeping with us. I got it a collar and food and litter box. I am next trying to figure out when I can get it to the vet. So I understand! When they are so sweet and loving and let the kids snuggle like that, it is hard to leave them out in the cold! 

:wub: Congrats on the new kitty!

My girls would love to adopt this cat, but it can't come inside. Also, we can't commit to its veterinary care right now. But it is the snuggliest, friendliest kitty...and enjoys our company (meows at the door several times a day).. I figured *I* would feel better if I knew it was warm and dry. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4b069c39b580c1f7f06c05c9d3219e02.jpeg

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, gingersmom said:

My neighbor did the same thing for a stray cat that they “adopted “.

Just a warning though...another critter decided to use the heated house one night (I think it was a raccoon)

When it snowed they put the cat in the garage.

She also treated the cat for fleas after the cat unknowingly gave her fleas in her house.

Yikes! I have thought about getting him OTC flea treatment...I'm just not 100% sure he's a stray. He's here a lot (daily) but does wander off. (Don't want to overdose him.)

No garage here, unfortunately. I'm hoping, since the heated house will go right next to the front door, that other critters will steer clear. (I've actually never seen any raccoons or possums in my yard...though we do have a "rival" stray that stops by occasionally.)

Edited by alisoncooks

We've been, um, practicing, on an outdoor kitty who happens to not be a stray. So yeah, she has a home, but prefers ours...We've been feeling guilty though...

The good news is that DH doesn't seem to be nearly as allergic as he thought he was, and DS has finally decided having a cat around is really nice, so we are finally starting to look for our own full time kitty. DH even bought a big bag of cat food this weekend "just in case". 

Yay! 

?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Haha.  I don't know if the cat enjoys it or if he's just the most tolerant cat EVER!

That is exactly what my ydd was doing outside with this cat before it moved in with us. It would let her wrap it up in an old towel on our front bench. She has kind of quit now that it is inside every night, but I have never seen one so tolerant either. It lets my four year and the neighbor's four year old carry it around and wrap it up and whatever else they want. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Do you have a heated water bowl? That would be useful.

We don't. We have tried to give this kitty water on several occasions but he doesn't seem interested. Should we just keep a water bowl outside?

(FWIW, it's not often we're below freezing, here.)

Edited by alisoncooks

23 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

We don't. We have tried to give this kitty water on several occasions but he doesn't seem interested. Should we just keep a water bowl outside?

(FWIW, it's not often we're below freezing, here.)

Cats are generally self sufficient.  I wouldn't worry too much about keeping him watered.  Sounds like this one needs love as much as anything and your kids are doing a good job of that.  I had to smile when I pictured them wrapping him up in your towels.  LOL

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

They have a catch and release program (which I hate as they slowly die once they've been released) but at least you might be able to get that vet care.

Can you explain the "slowly die" comment further?

The state we live in right now has nothing like this and no funds for it. Our little country town is being overrun by "community cats" and I have kids who would lime to start a "catch, spay, chip, & release" program. But they are looking at all sides of the issue before they get going.

34 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Can you explain the "slowly die" comment further?

The state we live in right now has nothing like this and no funds for it. Our little country town is being overrun by "community cats" and I have kids who would lime to start a "catch, spay, chip, & release" program. But they are looking at all sides of the issue before they get going.

I know you're not asking me, and I know I said I wasn't going to jump right back in on the board, but I'd like to respond to this. ? 

Feral cats don't "slowly die" after being neutered and released any more than any other wild animals "slowly die." Might some eventually get hit by a car, or killed by a coyote, or otherwise run into trouble? Well, sure. So do other wild animals. That doesn't mean it's right to preemptively kill them on the off chance they might suffer later. 

Alley Cat Allies has an awesome article on this, and I highly recommend their entire site as a resource for your kids (and good for them for thinking of the cats!) Here are some snippets:

The current animal control system and even misguided animal welfare organizations believe that taking feral cats to shelters, where nearly 100 percent of them will be killed, is more humane then leaving cats to live outdoors.

One prominent animal rights organization falsely states that “horrific fates” await feral cats, like diseases, injuries, or human cruelty.1 But these claims are based on isolated incidents and not supported by scientific evidence. In fact, the research points the other way—a 2006 study found that of 103,643 stray and feral cats examined in spay/neuter clinics in six states from 1993 to 2004, less than 1 percent of those cats needed to be euthanized due to debilitating conditions, trauma, or infectious diseases.2

In 2003, a long-term study of a Trap-Neuter-Return program noted that 83 percent of the cats present at the end of the observation period had been there for more than six years9

The lean physique of some feral cats sometimes leads animal control and other groups to claim that the cats are starving or ill, but a 2002 study found that feral cats have healthy body weights and fat distribution.10

More interesting studies here: Among other positive outcomes, neutered cats fight less and display less aggression and less stress

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 7

On 11/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, Margaret in CO said:

Well, those numbers might hold true in a more hospitable environment than here. We regularly get to -35 degrees. We have coyotes, bears, owls, lions, etc. Feral cats don't last long here. They rarely recapture a notched-ear cat here. 

I do understand that your environment is very different than that in a town or city--and I don't envy you! ?However, cats have been living outside for thousands of years, even in rough circumstances, and feral cats--who are essentially wild animals if not tamed as kittens---can do well. Just as I wouldn't kill a rabbit or squirrel out of concern that she may have a short (to me) life span or that she may succumb to extreme temperatures or predators, I wouldn't kill a feral cat for the same reasons. Feral cats only have one life here; I wouldn't want to take that from them.

ETA: I'm not opposed to euthanizing animals who are suffering and can't be helped. But perfectly healthy and happy animals, to try to save them from possible future suffering? I can't get behind that.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, MEmama said:

We've been, um, practicing, on an outdoor kitty who happens to not be a stray. So yeah, she has a home, but prefers ours...We've been feeling guilty though...

The good news is that DH doesn't seem to be nearly as allergic as he thought he was, and DS has finally decided having a cat around is really nice, so we are finally starting to look for our own full time kitty. DH even bought a big bag of cat food this weekend "just in case". 

Yay! 

?

There are ways to limit the cat dander.  If I remember right, petting with a wet washcloth is a good method.   

Bonus if the cat doesn't mind being vacuumed with the furniture attachment.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Do any of these studies you cited  include research about the impact of feral cats on native species? Birds, lizards, small mammals?

This is such a hot button issue, and I love your heart of gold, MercyA (you are so aptly  named!), but we forget that common types of “house” cats - not our native bobcats, lynx, etc - are an introduced, invasive species. They are not native to North America. So it’s not really adequate to cite information that speaks to only the well-being of the cats. Other species must also be considered.

There are many articles by wildlife conservationists, wildlife veterinarians, even PETA, all of which recommend keeping cats as indoors-only pets. That’s all available via google for one’s reading pleasure. Those of you reading here who would like to learn all facets of this issue, please do the research.

As a citizen scientist, there are two major organizations to which I contribute data on two different habitat stations set up on my property. Thanks to a neighbor’s free roaming pet cat, I’ve had to dismantle one of them for the last 6 months. So this is kind of a hot topic for me. It is very kind to create a place for a cold kitty in the winter, but if you (general you, not singling out the OP) are going to truly invest in that animal, at the very least consider taking it in to be neutered, be ready to provide other veterinary care as needed, and consider carefully the idea of making it an indoor house pet. 

(I do realize some cats will live out doors - a reasonable number of barn cats are “working” animals.)

Ok, that’s it, off my soapbox now. Sorry if taking this stance upsets anyone, but my dh would tell you my distressed rants over this issue (mostly just to the air or sometimes him if he wanders in too close!) are not small matters. 

No, that's totally cool, Seasider! These are good questions, and I really do care about all animals, not just the furry ones. ? 

First, I think we need to make a distinction between feral cats and stray cats. Stray cats are tame and used to interacting with people. They may be lost, or abandoned, or roaming barn cats. I absolutely agree that strays and other tame cats should ideally, if possible, be indoor-only pets, including your neighbor's cat. (Or even better, indoor cats with safe access to the outdoors, like cat runs, "catios," or yards with cat fences.) 

Feral cats, on the other hand, are basically wild animals. Once they get past the early kitten stage, in the vast majority of cases, they can't be brought indoors unless someone with much experience and knowledge works with them over a long period of time. That being the case, we can leave feral cats be; neuter and vaccinate them; or kill them. I think it's always a good principle to err on the side of not killing. There are many benefits to TNR; colonies decrease in size; the cats are healthy and left to live their lives. But that doesn't address your question. ? 

As we all know, ecosystems are complicated, and wiping out a species can have unintended consequences. Again from Alley Cat Allies (which, while a biased source, offers some good food for thought):

"Removing cats from the ecosystem can destabilize the relationships between the different predator and prey species, with dire consequences. On Amsterdam Island in the Indian Ocean, an attempt to eradicate feral cats to protect endangered birds caused a spike in the rat and mouse population. The rats and mice then preyed on the birds—making the cat eradication ineffective at conserving bird populations.

Mathematical models in scientific studies project that cats, rats, and birds can find a balance where all three species co-exist. But when the cats are removed in these simulations, the rat population surges out of control, wiping out the birds completely. Although the cats in this scenario may occasionally prey on a bird, removing the top predator completely is far worse for the prey species’ survival."

and:

"Another cat eradication effort on Macquarie Island in the Pacific Ocean saw the rabbit population spike wildly once the cats were gone. Without cats to keep the rabbits in check, local vegetation was devastated by a rabbit feeding frenzy, and other animal species were then threatened by the loss of food and habitat."

The article also makes the point that cats are opportunistic feeders. They prefer to obtain their food as easily as possible, whether it is food provided by caregivers, garbage, insects, or small mammals (which they eat three times more often than birds). When they do catch birds, they are usually the most common species in the area and are often birds who are weak or ill.

I strongly believe that if killing is the answer, we need to find a better one! 

I also encourage people to do more reading, but would advise everyone to run far, far away from PETA. They kill a shameful 96% of animals who enter their "shelter" and are fantatically pro-euthanasia. Boo. See: http://www.nathanwinograd.com/category/the-truth-about-peta/

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Another update: 

After dark, I had to take oldest DD out to an activity. Despite all our noise and bustle to get out the door, all we saw of kitty was the poking out of a little pink nose....and then a prompt retreat back into the cat house. ?

This made my day. You rock! ?

• Like 1