Menu

My son wants me to take him clothing shopping.....just shoot me

DawnM

We have tried ordering online twice and both times the size charts were way off and the clothing didn't fit.  So, now he is asking if I will take him shopping.  Even worse, he wants to go to THE MALL!  

Not sure I can stomach the mall.  For real.  Yuck.

He has shot up, and the weather is getting really chilly, so he needs pants.  

Feel sorry for me.

That is all.

UPDATE!  

He went with friends!  I didn't even have to go!  YAY!~

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

(((DawnM)))

*Disclaimer: I love shopping and I *wish* my ds would ask me to take him to the mall.*

I get it though.  There are lots of things that most people love doing that I loathe.  Like going to a park.

Is there something at the mall you can treat yourself with when it's all over?  

• Like 2

? Right.  I like the mall once in a blue moon but that's it.  Actually, Dawn, in addition to CP mall there is a Platos Closet  DD shops there.  I've been in there with her and they have quite a bit of pre-owned (if you do that) clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.  There is also an Uptown Cheapskate near CP mall.  They don't have as much to offer as CP.  Both of these stores are off 51. If you buy retail only have you also considered Gap and Old Navy?  

Penney's has been the best place for my kid who hates shopping.  Stores with loud music, like Old Navy, are torture for him.  

Recently, though, he let my daughter help him shop. She loved it and he tolerated it better than he did with me. And, I got out of the torture. One more bonus, she forced him to try thing he wouldn't if I was there, and he was happy with her choices.

BTW, he is 21 and has sensory issues so would live in sweats if he could.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

DS13 needs more pants so we are doing mall shopping later too for Veterans Day sale. He takes certain models of CK jeans, Joe’s Jeans, Volcom jeans and Ezekiel jeans. Managed to get fleece hoodies that they wanted from the Nordstrom Rack sale on Thursday.

We usually hit the food court first so that we are full with warm food before walking around. Sometimes we get a Starbucks frappe each as well. DS12 would play on his phone while we look because he is “standard size” and hyper easy to shop for. 

• Like 1

You have my sympathy. 

At the end of summer, I took my two big kids to the outlets. They are a good 45-50 minutes drive, but it’s hard to beat for what we needed. The Levis outlet was a total win, because DS19 is so tall and skinny, it is hard to get the size right with regular store selections. 

I also had to take DS13 a few weeks ago, with the weather cooling and his pants all 2-3” short from last year! Also, no coat that fit. We first went to a good consignment shop and got several things there, then Kohls, which did the trick for pants and one or two tops. Then in to Aeropostle at the mall where we got a couple more shirts. He does hate it to pieces, though. He was about over it before we got to the mall, but he still needed a few shirts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perkybunch said:

Do you have a nearby Plato's Closet?  It's just one store with a lot of variety, and they carry boy/man stuff, too.  My dd hates shopping, and I hate the mall, but we are both happy to go to Plato's Closet.  btw ours is in a strip mall.

Around here, Plato's Closet is great for girls but kind of unremarkable at best for boys.   When I go there's maybe 2 small racks of clothes for boys and the rest of the store is girl's stuff.  If you have a hard to fit kid, used can be tricky even if they have a good selection.  

Because of this, I've been to or ordered from American Eagle more often than I like to count in the last year and half.  ?  They have my son's pants size and most places don't.  

I would conduct an experiment. Give him $100 and see what he comes back with.  Sit at the mall in one of those giant chairs with noise-canceling headphones and relax with a cup of coffee.  

I'm nudging my son towards doing all of his shopping without me.  We aren't all the way there yet but the other day he did manage to leave Target with a package of new underwear while I hung out at the Starbucks at the front of the store.  I've budgeted necessities into his allowance so he is learning that part of it too.   

Having had a roommate in college who didn't know how to buy his own damn socks, the goal of sending my sons off to college able to buy their own basics has stuck with me.  ?

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

hugs - I was so happy when 1dd started taking 2dd clothes shopping.  1dd knew how to find deals, but 2dd's arms are so long it's hard to find stuff long enough.  (I wasn't sympathetic until I measured.  her arm span is 6'1")

find a brand/size that fits, and then you can order more online.  it's so frustrating as they have the wrong color, or not the right size . . . just, really?   and that was the men's dept!  (when dudeling was in between little boys and big boys - it was like stores just didn't stock it.)

I took 1ds shopping for "business casual" in august.  (he had a conference, and it was required.)  at least that was nice casual slacks/nicer-dockers, and dress shirts.  ended up at macy's for a decent pair of dress shoes.  I just bought him a 100% cashmere blazer (with original tags) for $60 at marshalls (he didn't have an appropriate coat) . .  I made sure it fit - he gets it for christmas.  that's my holiday deal.  dh and 2ds are like - what about me?  (they didn't have your size.)

Ok, well, that turned out well.....he ended up going to the mall with 4 of his friends from school.  They went shopping and out to dinner and got a ride there and a ride back.

Whew!  Crisis averted!

He found 2 pr.  of joggers at H&M.  He seems to like that store.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I had a wonderful blessing 2 years ago--my sil took ds! Sil loves clothes, and has a great fashion sense--he picks out all of dd's clothes. Ds doesn't care, so if A says this looks good, he's content. Fortunately now, he lives in AF uniforms. He lived in Carhartts and flannel shirts in college. 

Oh, this child is my child who cares what he wears and knows exactly what he wants.  The problem for us, was the sizing.  Ordering online was the problem.  

Thankfully, it is resolved now.

20 hours ago, Junie said:

(((DawnM)))

*Disclaimer: I love shopping and I *wish* my ds would ask me to take him to the mall.*

I get it though.  There are lots of things that most people love doing that I loathe.  Like going to a park.

Is there something at the mall you can treat yourself with when it's all over?  

We have to brave the mall again soon to go to the Apple store so that he can replace his iPhone battery under that $29 deal.  I plan to get some See's Candy and then hit the restaurant I love, that is only available there, while we wait for the battery to be replaced.  

• Like 1

Glad you were able to get out of going. I abhor shopping, especially clothes shopping, but had a girl who needed dress clothes for the visitation and funeral this weekend. Plis, one boy needed a new suit jacket, one needed a new dress shirt, and another girl needed a dressy shirt to wear with her skirts.

We had obviously not shopped for dress clothes in some time. With the added time pressure, it was torture, but they all ended up with new items they liked.

I might just send my boys to visit my brother when they need new suits, though. He has a gift for that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Buying Jeans for me is difficult.  Unexpectedly, a week or 2 ago, we made a sudden trip to the superstore in a mall, because my wife discovered she had approximately $100 USD of points that would expire that day.

So, I have needed Jeans.  She bought 2 or 3 pairs for me, probably genuine Levis, a year or so ago, but they didn't fit properly and she bought them in a store in downtown Cali and I didn't want to go there to exchange them for something that would hopefully fit me better. . Stepson got 1 or 2 pairs and I have one. She bought me some shirts there and all of those work well, but those Jeans didn't work for me.

I looked at the least expensive Jeans they had in the superstore. Incredibly cheap.  Not the most stylish. But, I tried them on and they fit me well and I bought 3 pairs...

My guess is that I might have tried on 10 pairs of jeans, costing multiples of what I paid, and not found a pair that fit me as well. Better quality?: maybe   More stylish?: probably   Fit me better?  Possibly

Dawn I suspect your DS may have the same issues I do when trying on Jeans or Pants and am glad he found things that work for him.