Menu

Desk cycle, pedals under desk, would we use this?

PeterPan

I can't imagine using a thing like this; it does not fit my philosophy of mindfulness. I want to be present with the activity and experience what I am doing (and prefer my kids to do the same). If I am biking, I am biking consciously and embracing the activity. If I am reading, I am focused on reading. If I walk, I want to experience walking, not detract from it  by reading. 

• Like 3

My adult sedentary cousin uses a much simpler model while watching TV or reading magazines after dinner. It’s something like this and cost around $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D7X2YD8/

The rest of us in my side of the family are leg swingers while doing our work (academic, work). My boys prefer to swing their legs and probably did that during standardized tests as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The rest of us in my side of the family are leg swingers while doing our work (academic, work). My boys prefer to swing their legs and probably did that during standardized tests as well. 

Oh I hadn't thought of that! Honestly, I get him at a table so little, I thought maybe the pedaling would somehow help, lol. I've done the bands around the legs of the chair, and he likes those. 

16 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I can't imagine using a thing like this; it does not fit my philosophy of mindfulness. I want to be present with the activity and experience what I am doing (and prefer my kids to do the same). If I am biking, I am biking consciously and embracing the activity. If I am reading, I am focused on reading. If I walk, I want to experience walking, not detract from it  by reading. 

Yeah, that makes sense. He's fledgling experiencing and enjoying books, so I certainly don't want to distract, mercy.

It depends on the person. Sometimes activities like this or listening to music actually help a person concentrate. Other people would be distracted. 

I probably wouldn't want to read for pleasure while doing it, but it might be awesome while doing math, paperwork, training videos. There are some activities I don't particularly want to embrace, lol. Actually, I would give it a try while reading, because I tend to have physical tics anyway when deeply involved in something. They enhance concentration rather than diffuse it (for me). It would be interesting to see if this would do the same, or if it needs to be 'natural.' 

I might have to try one of these.

• Like 2

I had one of those under-desk bikes and while it seemed like a great idea in theory, it wasn’t comfortable to use, because when I got it in the right position for pedaling, I kept whacking my knees on the desk — and I’m not a tall person. I also have one of the fitdesks that SKL mentioned, and that is far more comfortable. Amazon always puts those on a Deal of the Day at least once between now and Christmas, and they are also usually offered as a Lightning Deal around Black Friday, so I wouldn’t pay full price for one. ?

• Like 1

My adult son borrowed one of these from a friend to try out and decided not to buy one for himself. He found that he couldn't actually work while pedalling, perhaps because his legs are so long, but he did like the way he could have one foot on each pedal and kind of "seesaw" the pedals back and forth. I tried it very briefly and understood what he meant. Instead of using it as it's intended, he liked it as more of a fidget toy for his feet?

• Like 1

DS uses one regularly while doing seatwork.  At a couch it’s too difficult, but good at our table.  Any work that doesn’t need steady handwork is done while cycled.  Honestly, it’s only been regular for a few weeks now, but we do sit a deal during the day so I’m grateful he’ll do it to stave off sedentary schoolwork.  I’d use one too but I’m usually walking around and working too.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, displace said:

DS uses one regularly while doing seatwork.  At a couch it’s too difficult, but good at our table.  Any work that doesn’t need steady handwork is done while cycled.  Honestly, it’s only been regular for a few weeks now, but we do sit a deal during the day so I’m grateful he’ll do it to stave off sedentary schoolwork.  I’d use one too but I’m usually walking around and working too.  

So was there a particular model you got? Like you, at this point we get so exceptionally little done in a traditional fashion that almost anything would be moving up. And yes we're aware meds exist and no the ped doesn't think he's a safe candidate. Things are about at the point where I may look for someone more experienced with autism and try meds even if it isn't safe, sigh. His impulsivity is so high it's astonishing.

Edited by PeterPan

My kid has started trying to solve a rubik's cube with his feet, lol.  He drives my husband nuts when we are watching tv and everything on the coffee table is nudged or picked up with his feet! He is definitely a foot fidgeter! 

But since mine does his work at the dining room table I don't think this would work for us.  But now I am intrigued...