Menu

does anyone do SOTW for the 2nd round of history?

Emmy

I'm curious about this - I had thought that SOTW was intended to be used twice but I never see anyone talking about using it for 4th through 8th. My kids are in their first round and there are plenty of books and activities in the AG we aren't doing because they aren't age workable for their ages. Is it that people don't want to repeat it or that it doesn't have enough substance for the logic stage?

We are nearing the end of SOTW 3 with 7th, 6th and 4th graders. They are still learning and gaining from it so all is good. I just adjust their extra reading according to their age/reading levels. For example, my 7th grader read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography along with our SOTW readings in that time period. They are looking forward to SOTW 4 next year.

It is, however, our first time through the series. I am planning on using Truthquest for our second run through.

Linda:001_smile:

We used SOTW for our 1st rotation and loved it. I didn't want to reuse it. I loved the reading lists, but didn't want to beef it up for 2nd rotation. Truth be told, I'm not so good at that. So, we are using History Odyssey instead.

Right now, we're listening to SOTW in the car (middle ages), and I'm kind of wishing I had figured out how to beef it up. HO is b-o-r-i-n-g, imo.

I don't think that it is enough to use alone for logic stage. I'm using Guerber as a spine now and adding in SOTW chapters where I want a more modern perspective. I thought dd would enjoy reading it this time around, but she prefers other books from the library.

First round: we used Vertias Press and original WTM method (Usborne and Kingfisher).... 1 year for each time period

Second Round: SOTW audio only (we did try to use AG with SOTW 3, but life that year just didn't give ANY time for ANY extra at all).... 1 semester for each time period

Third Round : Bob Jones 6th and 7th grade...1 year for each book

8th is one year of American History

9 to 12th are state requirements and electives in whatever order the student chooses.

Now my youngest son is listening to SOTW audio only over two years for the second time. He'll go to BJU 6th next.

I also know of some moms that do the first round with audios only, and do the second round using the AG.

If you want to use SOTW with an older child, you can use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia cross-references in the SOTW Activity Guides. At the beginning of each chapter, we list the pages in the Kingfisher book that line up with the SOTW chapter. Add in the readings from the logic-stage history chapter in TWTM and you'll have brought the difficulty level of SOTW up to an appropriate middle-grade level.

SWB

I started round 2 this year. I tried having the three girls in MOH and my son in TRISMS. It just didn't work out.

So, we are back to SOTW. My older two (9th and 7th grade) are doing outlining (7th grader uses KHE and 9th grader uses Stream of Civilization) and will be adding in the timeline as soon as I can get my act together.

I read the chapter to all the kids and then we break out to do the maps. The littles do the coloring pages and the older ones outline.

I think ultimately I would like to do History Odyssey, but I don't have the money for it now.

Jennie

I have oldest dd outline or take notes from SOTW, read from her history encyclopedia and she is reading the Famous Men series along with whatever stage of history she is studying.We did ancients for 6th grade,Middle Ages this year for 7th,and I plan to have her do Books 3 and 4 for 8th grade next year (I think we may use Sonlight's schedule and books).We are also listening to Teaching Company lectures on the Middle Ages this year.I don't have dd take notes but we do discuss the lectures.

If you want to use SOTW with an older child, you can use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia cross-references in the SOTW Activity Guides. At the beginning of each chapter, we list the pages in the Kingfisher book that line up with the SOTW chapter. Add in the readings from the logic-stage history chapter in TWTM and you'll have brought the difficulty level of SOTW up to an appropriate middle-grade level.

SWB

I think this is what I had been thinking - combining with the Kingfisher and higher level books. Thanks Susan.

SWB

That is what we do. We don't have the AG's, but it is easy to figure out which KF chapters coincide. Good stuff. My middlers love doing history SWB-style. Ds just wrote an essay for his writing tutor about his favorite subject -- history.

SWB

Thats what I have been doing with my logic aged kids:001_smile:

We are planning to use SOTW for round 2 as well. Hard to say for sure what we will end up doing, but the plan is to use the Kingfisher page-references found in the SOTW AG's for older DD while younger dd and ds use SOTW audio and AG's. We are also taking our time through SOTW 2 so it's hard to tell where we will be in history when we start round 2.

SWB

That is what we do. We don't have the AG's, but it is easy to figure out which KF chapters coincide. Good stuff. My middlers love doing history SWB-style. Ds just wrote an essay for his writing tutor about his favorite subject -- history.

Thats what I have been doing with my logic aged kids:001_smile:

:confused: I'm confused. Please clarify:

• Do you mean the readings in the Reading section (it has a formal reading list and supplementary resources) of the spelling, grammar, reading, and writing chapter? For example, middle ages starts with Beowulf on page 363 of my 1999 TWTM edition. If so, read all the books from the formal reading list and supplementary resources? Or would you consider the formal reading mandatory and the supplementary resources optional?

• Do you mean the readings in the history chapter (it has lists of great men and women, primary sources, and general information)? For example, middle ages starts on page 309 in my 1999 TWTM edition. Do you mean the primary sources?

Thank you!

I use it with my older kids. We didn't do grammar stage stuff before. Now for grade 4 & 5 we are using SOTW1 with kingfisher encyclopedia for outlining. I also add a lot of supplemental reading and an expectation of higher quality product when we do hands on activities and it is working for us. For the younger 2 I plan on using it for both grammar ag to use nd logic stages. For rhetoric I am going to use Trisms because I can not see beefing it up enough for high school level.

Sue,

I use the WTM Literature lists (Required & supplemental) for literature, and primary sources & other books for history.

I've been trying to have my dc find their own primary sources and extra history reading this year, and it's been hit and (mostly) miss - LOL. Before, I've always used the lists in both the grammar & logic history sections to assign extra reading. I think the lists in WTM are less overwhelming than the Activity Guide. There is enough there, but not too much - you know, not *everything* has to be added to with extra reading.

So, anyway, after reading SWB's post I just finished going through the WTM History chapters to see what's available at the library, and what to order from amazon! I am suddenly panicking about having not covered the Civil War in nearly enough detail.....

we are on our first rotation and on sotw1, but we will be using it for the second rotation, as dd1 will not remeber it by the time its the second rotation, and we have been using the ag but left alot of it out, so when we do it again i will have at least 2 younger ones, so this will suit them all :)we love sotw here

mt3

• Do you mean the readings in the Reading section (it has a formal reading list and supplementary resources) of the spelling, grammar, reading, and writing chapter? For example, middle ages starts with Beowulf on page 363 of my 1999 TWTM edition. If so, read all the books from the formal reading list and supplementary resources? Or would you consider the formal reading mandatory and the supplementary resources optional?

• Do you mean the readings in the history chapter (it has lists of great men and women, primary sources, and general information)? For example, middle ages starts on page 309 in my 1999 TWTM edition. Do you mean the primary sources?

Thank you!

we all do SOTW as a family, answering the questions orally as a group then moving on to the written work. this use to involve narrations for the younger ones, but now we are in book 4 we are doing the outlining exercises one week and teh write from the outlining the following week.

The logic age children do the formal reading list, and most of the supplementary reading list. I read some of the books from the formal reading list out loud , we all enjoy a read aloud in this household.

we do readings of / about as many of the great men and women as we can possibly fit in. the kids then usually then write a little about these great people.

we never used Jackdaw portfolios, they are incredibly expensive to get shipped to Australia around $100 and I just couldn't justify spending that amount of money for a few photocopies of primary recourse:glare:

We also have 7 different history encyclopedias, and use them every week to look up the history period being covered. we all read each of these references, as well as looking up the children's Britannica.

Thank you!

Hi Sue,

We don't read all the books that SWB suggests. I pick and choose. I use SOTW in a hodge-podge logic-stage history program of my own making (in blog).

• 4 weeks later...

I am using it a second time. I could use the Kingfisher Encyclopedia like Susan had said to do. I have my son doing outlines and timelines. He is doing the tests. We ordered them from Peace Hill Press. I plan to do Famous Men from Rome to help beef it up. I asked my son if any of what he has learned sounds familiar. He told me that some sections he does remember like Ankidu and Gilgamesh. Some he forgot like the Phonecians. So, we go more in-depth.

We are going through SOTW series all over again. We are enjoying in the same way, but on a different level.

By the way, I have a friend who is a homeschool mom. She is taking a few college courses this year. She said that teaching her sons SOTW help her to study her world history classes. So, SOTW does give an excellent background in world history.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

• 4 months later...

What about geography? Would you suggest using the map work in the SOTW Activity Guide? Or something else? Hoping you'll answer, I know you're a busy woman. :)

SWB

I'm hoping to go through a second time with ds and just require more from him the 2nd time, including starting a Timeline Book.

With dd I won't get through it twice as she will be in Gr. 7 when we get to SOTW4. Right now she reads a lot of the supplementary reading suggestions that the AG gives. Whatever my library has I check out and leave the books on the table and she usually devours them pretty quickly.

I'm thinking of using SOTW too, for dc to read in the middle grades themselves, and read the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia sections and logic stage books indeed. I think I'm also going to use Landmark Egypt, Geurber's Story of Greeks and Romans.