Menu

Talk to me about peri-menopause - taming symptoms

northcoast

So I have hit that wonderful age of getting hot flashes, not sleeping, prehypertension (from stress?) & mild anxiety/nervousness.  What has worked for you & have you used it long term?  It seems most of the studies I see for alternatives like black cohosh have not been long term studies.  What about soy from food? I have started with a multi-vitamin, extra vitamin E, Co-Q10, DASH Diet, & a little more exercise.   Baby steps. ?  This week has brought cooler temperatures where I live & less hot flashes & anxiety.  It does seem my body can't regulate heat well but it's so random.   So much conflicting info out there...

• Like 1

I am careful about soy because it has shown to increase our estrogen and some cancers are estrogen driven and it can increase risk for endo.

I would research and try Maca, Black Cohosh, Evening Primrose Oil and a Progesterone cream or ask for a bio-identical low dose progesterone rx from your doc.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I did a good all around yoga practice, at three days a week, it did wonders for how I felt.  even though many would say yoga doens't actually help hot flashes - I only ever had them when I hadn't been doing yoga for several MONTHS (due to an injury that had nothing to do with yoga)

eta: soy makes me nervous and i try to avoid it as an added ingredient in anything.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 3:07 PM, Liz CA said:

I am careful about soy because it has shown to increase our estrogen and some cancers are estrogen driven and it can increase risk for endo.

I would research and try Maca, Black Cohosh, Evening Primrose Oil and a Progesterone cream or ask for a bio-identical low dose progesterone rx from your doc.

While some research indicates that these things help, non have been long term studies that I can find?  So were you have to take some of these things with out side affects or issues long term?

Have anyone seen this abstract that looked at studies of soy? Thoughts?  Something else I looked at said to get soy from food rather than in a supplement but I neglected to save that info.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26943176

eta: correcting to say link is an abstract of looking at different studies as opposed to an actual study on soy & to add another thought. ?

Edited by northcoast

On 9/29/2018 at 3:33 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I did a good all around yoga practice, at three days a week, it did wonders for how I felt.  even though many would say yoga doens't actually help hot flashes - I only ever had them when I hadn't been doing yoga for several MONTHS (due to an injury that had nothing to do with yoga)

eta: soy makes me nervous and i try to avoid it as an added ingredient in anything.

I am coming to the conclusion that probably the best thing for menopause is to be more relaxed about it, move more, add weight bearing excercise/strength, and eat better.  At least those are the known safest things to try first!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, northcoast said:

While some research indicates that these things help, non have been long term studies that I can find?  So were you have to take some of these things with out side affects or issues long term?

I have taken Maca on and off with no discernible side effects for 10 years . My naturopath prescribed progesterone, also with no negative effects. I've had surgical menopause so it was easy to know it's coming. However, my symptoms have been very mild compared to what others have told me about their experiences.

It's going to be different for everyone. It appears to be a bit of a seek and find game in terms of what works for you. And it's a good time to evaluate diet and exercise regimen.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I am struggling with the waking up at 3am syndrome, and then not being able to go back to sleep. A friend recommended 5-HTP. I researched it, and felt comfortable to give it a go. It did help a LOT. Unfortunately, something about it, or the formulation I bought impacted my IBS so I had to stop. That's nothing unusual for me- happens with 80% of supplements I try so I don't think it was anything to do with 5-HTP. There are actually many, very solid studies out there on it, so that's why I wanted to let you know it might be something worth looking into. I am trying to find a different formulation to see if I can find a brand I can tolerate because it did work- quite well- and it didn't leave me groggy. There are studies indicating that it can also help with anxiety, so there's that too. 

I wonder if bio-identical progesterone cream (transdermally absorbed and not going through digestive system) would help you as well. I had good results with prog for improving sleeping pattern.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I wish, but so far bioidenticals and I have been a trainwreck. Progesterone tanked my estrogen and put me into hot flashes. My testerosterone bottomed out too at one point. They gave me that as a transdermal cream, and then I got an irregular heart beat and felt like I was going to pick a fight 24/7. For the moment it hasn't been worth going down the path again, but I'm sure I'll rethink it when I start getting the hot flashes too. I'm hoping whatever made them not work last time might be in a different place endocrine or whatever wise. ?

Ah yikes. It's always such a trial and error phase before you get something dialed in. They can mix estrogen and progesterone together in bio-identical form at a compounding pharmacy just in case you would want to try it again. 

• Like 1

I’m just eavesdropping. I had my first, real, I’m-sure-that’s-what-it-was hot flashes last week. It seems to be happening in the wee hours of the morning. It’s not bad, or even that unpleasant, but it’s THERE and I don’t know what to expect next. So, I’m just gonna listen in. ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I am struggling with the waking up at 3am syndrome, and then not being able to go back to sleep. A friend recommended 5-HTP. I researched it, and felt comfortable to give it a go. It did help a LOT. Unfortunately, something about it, or the formulation I bought impacted my IBS so I had to stop. That's nothing unusual for me- happens with 80% of supplements I try so I don't think it was anything to do with 5-HTP. There are actually many, very solid studies out there on it, so that's why I wanted to let you know it might be something worth looking into. I am trying to find a different formulation to see if I can find a brand I can tolerate because it did work- quite well- and it didn't leave me groggy. There are studies indicating that it can also help with anxiety, so there's that too. 

This is me - waking up & not being able to back to sleep.  So sorry to hear that something that was working is causing other trouble!  I hope you can find something soon!

edited to fix typo.  I just hit the enter button way too quickly!  ?

Edited by northcoast

• 2 weeks later...

I use Progessence Plus oil blend from young living. I’m not an oil expert or really use any other oils. I tried this because I was desperate and it works. I got mine on eBay because it was cheaper with free shipping than ordering from a rep. I put 4 drops on my neck each morning and no more hot flashes and other not so fun stuff. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, northcoast said:

I am coming to the conclusion that probably the best thing for menopause is to be more relaxed about it, move more, add weight bearing excercise/strength, and eat better.  At least those are the known safest things to try first!

Yes, keep up the exercise. Statistically and scientifically, it's so beneficial for menopause plus everything else health-wise.

8 hours ago, northcoast said:

I appreciate the suggestion!  I hear it helps some people.  I am not that desperate yet. ?

Why would one need to be desperate to choose acupuncture? How much do you know about it?

Acupuncture is does not hurt! It is relaxing. My practitioner always treats for stress as well as the presenting issues. I usually fall asleep. Acupuncture eliminated my hot flashes and crazy mood swings. It is often very effective for female hormone related troubles. 

My ob/gyn kept me on birth control another year.  However, I eat well, exercise not walking round the block but  running intervals, half marathon  training from October to april, then beach body on demand various workouts, I take good vitamins, get 6-8hours sleep, meditate.   No symptoms yet.  I'll be 52 next year.

• Like 1